Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

A year ago today! ❤️ 

Can’t believe I randomly just woke up and thought, “I should watch the NFR! music video” not knowing it’s its anniversary! I remember exactly where I was - out on a snowy street and on a phone call with a friend. I got the notification on my phone, and got so excited I told my friend I had to go, and I stopped next to a vending machine just to watch the entire video. I remember something about it made me feel so nostalgic. ❤️ 

BF77-AD48-C18-D-4144-B349-27-DC6-F78-CD7

Idk where to post this but I guess it's a fun fact to keeo somewhere, BlackOutZone from ATRL posted the dates where masters of NFR were made

She finishes the album in parts. To put things in perspective these are the dates of each NFR song being finished and mastered:
01. Norman ****ing Rockwell - 06.27.18
02, Mariners Apartment Complex (I'm Your Man) - 08.31.18
03. Venice Bitch - 06.26.18
04. **** it I Love You - 07.23.19
05. Doin' Time - 04.04.19
06. Love Song - 08.06.18
07. Cinnamon - 12.18.18
08. How to Disappear - 1.20.19
09. California - 1.18.19
10. The Next Best American Record - N/A
11. The Greatest - 02.13.19
12. Bartender - N/A
13. Happiness - 06.30.18
14. Sylvia Plath - 08.04.18

8nl2OpX.png

32 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

Idk where to post this but I guess it's a fun fact to keeo somewhere, BlackOutZone from ATRL posted the dates where masters of NFR were made

She finishes the album in parts. To put things in perspective these are the dates of each NFR song being finished and mastered:
06. Love Song - 08.06.18
07. Cinnamon - 12.18.18
09. California - 1.18.19
12. Bartender - N/A
13. Happiness - 06.30.18

nice!!

33 minutes ago, TheBoss said:

06. Love Song - 08.06.18
07. Cinnamon - 12.18.18
09. California - 1.18.19
12. Bartender - N/A
13. Happiness - 06.30.18

That’s super interesting!! So FIILY and DT were the only ones she worked on after tweeting in March of 19 that “the record is done but who knows when it’ll come out” maybe there was pressure to have a ‘radio’ song date all!

bartender is N/A but that one and TNBAR were done *before* Norman, because she talked about Bartender saying it was ‘weird’ and ‘didn’t have a place yet’

"Don’t forget me"

44 minutes ago, CHIPCHROME said:

Didn’t Lana say her and jack had done Love Song first and it was in January of 2018? If those are just the master dates, I’d love to know what days she just went to the stu and dropped those songs on him.

mastering means when the song was done done done. They may have been working on the songs for a little while. Like HIAB..it wasn’t done until June of ‘18 but it was the first one she teased in February (?). Also HTD, we got the first look at that one around October of ‘18 but they kept working on it until January ‘19. So it’s very possible Love Song was the first one they did together, but they kept working on it until August   

and that’s very possible because we know how long Lana can hold onto a song

"Don’t forget me"

3 hours ago, TheBoss said:

06. Love Song - 08.06.18
07. Cinnamon - 12.18.18
09. California - 1.18.19
12. Bartender - N/A
13. Happiness - 06.30.18

well that explains why the digital and physical FIILY versions are different 

3 hours ago, Nikogo said:

That’s super interesting!! So FIILY and DT were the only ones she worked on after tweeting in March of 19 that “the record is done but who knows when it’ll come out” maybe there was pressure to have a ‘radio’ song date all!

bartender is N/A but that one and TNBAR were done *before* Norman, because she talked about Bartender saying it was ‘weird’ and ‘didn’t have a place yet’

I’m happy for the delay then cause NFR! Without FIILY is just plain wrong ?

5 hours ago, Nikogo said:

yes i’ve been saying the reason imo NFR didn’t come out is cause the label wanted some more upbeat/radio songs 

On 12/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, titanicearth said:

A year ago today! ❤️ 

Can’t believe I randomly just woke up and thought, “I should watch the NFR! music video” not knowing it’s its anniversary! I remember exactly where I was - out on a snowy street and on a phone call with a friend. I got the notification on my phone, and got so excited I told my friend I had to go, and I stopped next to a vending machine just to watch the entire video. I remember something about it made me feel so nostalgic. ❤️ 

I know a lot of people really dislike this video, but I do actually enjoy it. Happiness is a Butterfly was my favorite part.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

On 12/23/2020 at 2:46 PM, Contemplating God said:

I know a lot of people really dislike this video, but I do actually enjoy it. Happiness is a Butterfly was my favorite part.

I don't understand the hate around the NFR/Bartender/HIAB video. It's probably my favorite video project she's done since Tropico. I genuinely love it and the vibe fits the NFR album songs perfectly imo.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

22 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I don't understand the hate around the NFR/Bartender/HIAB video. It's probably my favorite video project she's done since Tropico. I genuinely love it and the vibe fits the NFR album songs perfectly imo.

I honestly really liked the videos of the NFR era, obviously VB especially. I think VB’s

has a lot of great shots/visuals. Even if you don’t like the the loop (which I honestly think looks cool and matches with the song), I love the shots of San Francisco, the light halos, etc. her homemade NFR videos are just really fun to me, I watch them more than TG or Doin Time tbh 

sgopYhV.gif

33 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I love it too! Well, I love the NFR & Bartender video and am neutral on the HIAB video (wish it’d used new footage instead of recycling old stuff). But I agree they fit the vibe perfectly and are really intimate and sweet, and I love the weird cartoon/CGI stuff in NFR/Bartender.

aOaIzH2.gif

Some thoughts:

-The title track started to grew on me and I can see why  many people like it...the outro is so beautiful btw. It was always  an okay song to me but I started to see the beauty in this track...still not one of my faves but I enjoy it more now:teehee:

- I always think that this album is  good but not that good until I listen to it..like then I realize that I really really  like this album even though the production is not  100% perfect at some times ( at least to me ) 

- UV & HM are my faves but I often to listen to this album bc it's more easier to listen to and it really has a 'day in the life feel' 

- I have not really a problem with Doin Time being on the album but it kinda flows better without it...it feels almost a little bit overproduced compared to the other songs ( I know it's not overproduced but the production feels bigger than the rest of the album) 

- I still think that the CG version on the album is different than the version Lana teased...idk in the snippets the song had more bass & there was sth like a " wah wah " sound to it 

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

the way the black bar on the cover and the random capitalisation of the song titles annoyed me so much when the album first came out but now i've gotten so used to it to the point where when i changed the cover to one without the black bar on it it felt so wrong n i changed it back to the version with the black bar.. it kinda adds to the unpolished vibe of the album tbh

qfrWuBl.png

bar didn't work at all on nfr imo because it was much better at being a bitter song than it was a nostalgic song, and i hated the vocal layering she added to her voice on the released version because it didn't suit the track well, in the original her voice carried you and you could feel that she was exhausted and fed up by the way she was singing it, in the nfr version she just seems to be shouting, they were obviously trying to make it cohesive against the previous track california with the same vocal layerings but california is a desperate song so the layering was needed with her shouting, but idk... tnbar will always feel out of place there to me

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

1 minute ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

bar didn't work at all on nfr imo because it was much better at being a bitter song than it was a nostalgic song, and i hated the vocal layering she added to her voice on the released version because it didn't suit the track well, in the original her voice carried you and you could feel that she was exhausted and fed up by the way she was singing it, in the nfr version she just seems to be shouting, they were obviously trying to make it cohesive against the previous track california with the same vocal layerings but california is a desperate song so the layering was needed with her shouting, but idk... tnbar will always feel out of place there to me

idk maybe bc i connected w it that i got the track more or w/e but i definitely think it works so well w the album. so so sooo well. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who loves vapid lyric Lana, and I always attributed that to some kind of sorta sardonic mischief.

UV/Honeymoon

4 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I don't even really get why she insisted on changing the lyrics. The song would have fit NFRs much better with the "bitter" version aka her leaving the narcissist musician. The worst thing was how absolutely random the new chorus was, as if it was written by a LDR-lyrics-generator-KI. I mean ... "Topangas haaawt tonite, I just wanna partay with uuuuu, I'm taking off mah bathing suit" is really just bad.

I think that she tends to fuck up when trying to change a song becuase of reasons ot actually relate to the music but because of overthinking ("I'm not in this place anymore"). Same thing happened when she desperately tried to merge BP into a duet with Spongebob Nicks.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!