Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

nfr as a pre release era was horrific im so sorry... especially when you compare it to honeymoon with gorgeous visuals or lfl where she was fun and active. 

her 'baddie l.a' era just came across as not giving a shit (which im doubtful she did tbh). everything from the lacklustre visuals to her lying through her teeth at every given opportunity was just so tiresome. that coupled with the year of my life i lost waiting for it just left the album bottom of the list for me and i never listen to it anymore (i even reach for chemtrails every now and again lol). 

in the words of lord del rey herself, 'if everybody likes it maybe it’s not that good'.

i'm content with what we have at the moment, because we got two solid albums last year (blue banisters being my 3rd favourite of hers) and we recently got a couple of singles. i'd rather she waits a while for some more inspiration than rush into releasing another album, which she seems to be doing. 

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

5 hours ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

1. BOZ saying he can't wait to talk about the masterpiece of an album he just heard. 
 2. BOZ saying that jack is a genius when he does things right.

3. The collaboration with FJM is "fantastic". 

I don't know about you, but I feel like Lana is going to outdo Norman.

any lana album can outdo norman :ma:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

5 hours ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

1. BOZ saying he can't wait to talk about the masterpiece of an album he just heard. 
 2. BOZ saying that jack is a genius when he does things right.

3. The collaboration with FJM is "fantastic". 

I don't know about you, but I feel like Lana is going to outdo Norman.

I mean it won’t be hard to outdo Norman, she’s already done it twice (5 times if we’re counting pre-NFR albums) :true: 

whatarecoloris.jpg

5 hours ago, xxmissdaytonaxx said:

any lana album can outdo norman :ma:

Spill :sideeye:

NFR is a great album but it’s so…safe. Very accessible and cohesive, which is why the general public loves it. But I don’t understand the fandom’s boner for it and saying it’s her magnum opus.

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

7 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

NFR is a great album but it’s so…safe. Very accessible and cohesive, which is why the general public loves it. But I don’t understand the fandom’s boner for it and saying it’s her magnum opus.

Me neither. And I don't even find it especially cohesive. 'California,' 'Love Song,' 'How To Disappear,' the title track, even 'Bartender' and 'FIILY'--these represent Lana taking it very easy in terms of her own songwriting. And Jack is probably responsible for 95% of 'Venice Beach,' though of course Lana 'green-lighted' it. 'Do'in Time' was dragged in at the last minute from another project, and the redo of 'NBAR' is a nightmare. 

I also agree that nothing that Lana has released so far sounds anything like any of Joni Mitchell's jazz work, from 'Court & Spark' through 'Mingus,' or even its later rare appearances on songs like 'Moon At The Window' or Mitchell's own 'standards' cover album. Jazz is a huge genre with endless sub-genres and sub-sub-genres; you could study it and its history for a lifetime and still not become conversant in it. 

2 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

this! and tbh i don't even understand how and why it became so popular. nfr is so inferior to all of lana's previous albums?? even lfl. it used to be my least favorite of hers, but not so long ago i realized i like it much much better than nfr and come back to it, however messy and unhinged it is, much more often. maybe jack's tired guitar he sticks into literally all of his songs and the production overall i've grown to dislike so much play a huge role in it :sideeye:

yeah i know everyone's tired of jack slander but that's just something i've been thinking about a lot lately. bb finally felt like something more or less fresh after nfr and cocc, even considering all the leaks and outtakes from previous albums. but knowing antonoff's back makes me a lil worried :eek:

3 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

right? chemtrails is her most cohesive album in my opinion and all the praise he deserves goes to norman :eartha2:

3 hours ago, cherrytropico said:

My guess is still bc it’s the album that finally got critics to accept and praise her as a great songwriter. I see it brought up that it’s her highest rated a lot but like critical acclaim =/= quality necessarily

whatarecoloris.jpg

NFR really has some of you so pressed and salty. It will be okay.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

lanaboards is the only safe space for us nfr haters. everyone else can’t fucking shut up about how it’s her magnum opus and can’t ever be topped and cocc/bb are her worst albums and blah blah :eyeroll:

(btw i’m not a nfr hater necessarily it just ranks low for me because it’s too safe and a bit boring) 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ