Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

am i the only one who doesnt mind the jingle bells in HTD? i like the production on the track, its not bad at all. feels very nostalgic.

maybe some people in here need to get over the acoustic live performance of it from a year ago  :creep:

"How to disappear" is a song that requires a certain level of intelligence to appreciate. That's why it only appeals to intellectuals. The advanced mind you need to have in order to be able to comprehend the pure intellect of this song just isn't measurable. Lana knew EXACTLY what she was doing.

"How to disappear" is a song that requires a certain level of intelligence to appreciate. That's why it only appeals to intellectuals. The advanced mind you need to have in order to be able to comprehend the pure intellect of this song just isn't measurable. Lana knew EXACTLY what she was doing.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand How to Disappear. The meaning is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of the struggles of alcoholism most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Lana's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her characterisation- her personal philosophy draws heavily from the Despicable Me franchise, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of the jingle bells, to realise that she's not just deep- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike How to Disappear truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the meaning in Lana's defining line "this is how to disappear" which itself is a cryptic reference to Radiohead's 4th track on Kid A "How To Disappear Completely". I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Elizabeth Grant's genius wit unfolds itself into their headphones. What fools.. how I pity them.  :lmao:

And yes, by the way, i DO have a How to Disappear tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the twinks' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel f*g

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

My ranking would be like

UV/Honeymoon. (was always UV but I really feel HM in my soul lately and I can’t choose)

Norman Fucking Rockwell.

Paradise.

Born To die.

Lust For Life.

AKA. (Don’t come for me please)

People should earn an instant ban for posting Smellinie Martinez GIFs.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

This album is giving me so much comfort while i’m in such a lonely place in my life. It’s crazy how the universe sends you the right thing at the right time. It’s beautiful. Happiness is a Butterfly has been the greatest gift.

giphy.gif

@@Elle would you mind adding the AKA songs to your song sorter so I can see how those songs add up too?  :D

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this but... am I the only one who's feeling "scared" for Lana? And by that I mean that she's been raising the bar with every single release like things keep getting better and better and eventually she won't have anywhere to go but down, and I'm scared for when that comes. Critics were so ruthless with her when she debuted I can't imagine what they'll do if she stumbles, they will eat her alive. I was scared when she released LFL and the album did good, and I was scared for NFR and the album is doing amazing, and I'm already scared for WHF because NFR is getting so much acclaim I don't know if she will be able to top this  :defeated: am I the only one who feels like this? Like I believe in her potential and I'm sure she can keep serving but idk I'm scared they will be mean to her if she releases an "inferior" record.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this but... am I the only one who's feeling "scared" for Lana? And by that I mean that she's been raising the bar with every single release like things keep getting better and better and eventually she won't have anywhere to go but down, and I'm scared for when that comes. Critics were so ruthless with her when she debuted I can't imagine what they'll do if she stumbles, they will eat her alive. I was scared when she released LFL and the album did good, and I was scared for NFR and the album is doing amazing, and I'm already scared for WHF because NFR is getting so much acclaim I don't know if she will be able to top this  :defeated: am I the only one who feels like this? Like I believe in her potential and I'm sure she can keep serving but idk I'm scared they will be mean to her if she releases an "inferior" record.

I understand that feeling. But Lana's inferior songs are superior to most other musicians' best. So we just gotta ride it out with her.

giphy.gif

She has one of the largest catalogs of music between her unreleased and released tracks. I have the same concerns, but I'm not going to abandon her when she releases an album that doesn't resonate well with me. I hope other people feel the same way 

My favourites in order although i've only listened to the whole album once but have repeated most songs since then

1. Venice Bitch

2. California

3. Love Song

4. Norman Fucking Rockwell

5. The Greatest

6. Bartender

7. Cinnamon Girl

8. Fuck It I Love You

9.  Happiness Is A Butterfly

10. Mariners Appartment Complex

11. The Next Best American Record

12. Doin' Time

13. How To Disappear

14. Hope Is A Dangerous Thing For A Woman Like Me To Have - But I Have It

Really hard to decide between Love Song, NFR, The Greatest, Bartender and California they are so good and the more I play them the more I like them. I could put them in any order tbh. I feel bad having a lot of those songs in the bottom half but the album is just that good :defeated: I actually really like Hope but I find it sad but not sad in a way I can listen to it regularly like Black Beauty so I put it at the bottom since I will listen to it the least.

I think it's her best album, im a big fan of UV and Honeymoon but I actually think this is better although time will tell as I still go back to them after years but I can't imagine not liking these songs ever.

i agree i doubt she'll top this, but it depends what's meant by 'topping it' really. even if NFR hadn't received the acclaim it has and despite the messy era and the countless snippets we've heard, i feel like it's incredibly accomplished and breaks away from a lot of her old formula but without alienating fans and with some stellar less introspective songwriting, i feel like her eyes are more open on this record but not in the contrived way it was on LFL. for me on the latter you could hear she was struggling with her identity as an artist and it's what made it so awkward for me. now.. she seems comfortable and i think that's partly why this album has delivered more than i ever thought it would

idk.. part of me feels like she's hitting her 'golden era' where she's really hit her stride and although it could mean more records that don't resonate in the same way or are even as successful i think she's willing to play a bit more and she's unapologetic. i actually feel she might surprise us and for me personally that's exciting no matter what happens 

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live