Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Same, she said she cares so I want her to get oneย  :flutter:

like this just might be my lana stan biased mindsight, but honestly, what other viral/somewhat commercially successful and critically acclaimed albums have been released this year? especially for best alternative album, considering its getting pretty great critical reception. Then a nomination for AOTY? Additionally, Venice Bitch or maybe The Greatest for best rock song? I don't know if Venice Bitch counts because it's from September of 2018.ย  Then again, Lizzo's 2017 is up for nominations so...

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Okay so it's a cool sunny Sunday so I'll go to one of my favorite places, lay by the river and listen to Norman during golden hour.

ย 

This is where I used to go everyday with my exย  :poordat:ย  Haven't been there since we broke up in May.

ย 

d7a1310adb0936f62e58d26cf38869d7.jpg

ย 

lancha1er980.jpg

ย 

small-group-san-isidro.jpg

ย 

buenos-aires-combo-tour.jpg

ย 

I just came back. It was painful but highly therapeutic.

ย 

The moment I finished listening to Norman, I went to the coffee shop we used to go with my ex and wrote this in less than an hour.

Iโ€™m surprised at how many people donโ€™t like the doin time cover, because for me itโ€™s such a highlight of the album. All of the songs are so introspective and wordy on this album. Doin time really lightens the mood. Same goes for Norman fucking Rockwell too, but itโ€™s just not as bop-y to me.

Where can I listen to the extended version of Hope and the alternate mix of FIILY online?

legit hope is better without the man monologue, pretend she doesnt exist.

the new FIILY is better tho imo

Omg this whole time I thought the lyrics in cinnamon girl were โ€˜kiss me in my heelsโ€™ .. and I was like โ€˜yeah okay typical Lana lyric .. whateverโ€™ but I found out itโ€™s โ€˜Kerosene in my hands

You make me mad, on fire againโ€™... her vintage mind amazes me wow oh wow

legit hope is better without the man monologue, pretend she doesnt exist.

the new FIILY is better tho imo

The man monologue is just Jack being high when they finished the song lol

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Norman Fucking Rockwell. The songwriting is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of high kitsch most of the tracks will go over a typical listenerโ€™s head. There's also Lanaโ€™s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into her lyricism - her personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realize that they're not just โ€˜bopsโ€™- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Norman Fucking Rockwell truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Lanaโ€™s existential catchphrase โ€œitโ€™s me ur little venice binch,โ€ which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Elizabeth Grantโ€™s genius unfolds itself on their ear canals. What fools... how I pity them.

ย 

And yes by the way, I DO have a โ€˜Fuck it I love youโ€™ tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

I also miss Graham.ย 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I heard the album on my stereo speakers and I still can't hear Jack talking. Maybe he is too quiet for me to hear it.

Btw has anyone noticed that Doin' Time is not as loud as other songs on NFR? FIILY is quiet loud but DT not and then LS is loud again.

Mfhp.gif

I was thinking FIILY and the greatest were my favorites from this album but I keep replaying California now bc it makes me think of someone and ugh I love it. Goddamn I love it itโ€™s one of her best

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

one of the many things i love about the lyrics is the incorporation of basic, normal, day to day technology. it really makes her retrofuture concept richer... from the videocalls with her lover and father respectively in Venice Bitch and Hope to the live location/map sending in Happiness <3ย 

ย 

it's so refreshing because they're things we do and use every single day yet no one in music is singing about them