WaitForLife

Rank Lana's Opening Tracks

Ride.

And I love the video and the monologue and ending spoken part (so much so that I wish Lana would do a book of poetry/lyrics and then release an audio of it

I love the bridge, that is unbelievably me.

The monologue is the best statement Lana ever made about herself. And at the time, it led into the best 1-2 of all time. That being Ride and then American.

And I believe people mistake some of the symbolism in the words, because I believe she is talking about not the motorcyclists per se, but her concert audience, her video audience,

her music audience. That connection.

And I love how Ride references Video Games (with one pretty song) and also how Ride let's you know she thinks of herself as a Jazz singer (and note, people mistake it sometimes for

saying Jazz musician. Her instrument is her voice and her lyrics and her life is a jazz singer and not a Top 40 singer.

Ride is produced by Rick Rubin...would love a full album by Rick (who did Johnny Cash so well along with the rap and punk groups he is more associated with.)
Ride could be a big song by one of the remaining legends of country, it's too bad Johnny is not here, it would be perfect for him, but Merle Haggard could do it and just change

Pretty song to Gritty Song, especially if say Rick Rubin would produce it too. (someone suggest it to them)

After his death, the Doors created an album based on Jim Morrison's poems that had been recorded. One day, Lana should. Or release limited editions or something.

(BTW-many artists now do release books which enables another outlet for fans and picking up new fans and also another item to sell at concerts.)

Video Games should have come either before or after Born to die on the album.

Cruel World does set the mood.

But I will stick with Ride. And then wham right into American. 

It's really hard to separate anyhow. Each album is like the chapter of the great classics written. One can't wait to read the next one, or a great tv show like say Twin Peaks

or House of Cards or Breaking Bad was...waiting for what in the world is going to come next. (and with Lana the final chapter is a long way off, unwritten, being lived)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I think she's very good at choosing opening tracks. Paradise is my favourite album but I never found the record to be particularly cohesive and the tracklist is, to me, a bit of a mess, so Ride wouldn't be my first choice. I really love Kill Kill and Cruel World in their own ways but still, Born To Die can't be replaced. The dramatic, sultry strings and then Emile's beats + Lana's glorious vocals never cease to amaze me and will always stay an iconic moment in LDR's entire discography. You just know you're about to hear a cult album (yes, because I'm sure BTD will stay among those "classic pop albums" in the years to come). That's truly unique.

Cruel World

Born to Die

Norman Fucking Rockwell

Honeymoon

Kill Kill

Ride

Love

if it was title tracks:

Born to Die

Norman Fucking Rockwell

Honeymoon

Ultraviolence

Lust for Life

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Love and that is fact, laidteas

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You