Elle

3 Part Video for Norman Fucking Rockwell, Bartender, & Happiness is a Butterfly - OUT NOW

I like the video. It’s nothing special, but it’s obvious that this was just a cute little video she did and it isn’t meant to be like, a cinematic masterpiece. It’s just her having fun and fucking around. It’s not that she lost her touch and she isn’t serving up good music videos anymore, just 3 months ago she served up the Doin Time video, which had a high budget and a storyline. She was a huge woman walking around the city who murdered her normal sized version’s cheating boyfriend at a drive-in movie theater by shaking and dropping his car, like, that was a moment. She also dropped the FIILY/The Greatest mv, which was a really good video imo.

The Doin Time video is alright but it doesn't match the story of the song. 

I always said the last beautiful video Lana released was Shades of Cool. I'm right. 

I always said the last beautiful video Lana released was Shades of Cool. I'm right. 

Agreed, but in terms of this era ... DT is the best simply because it has a story, unlike all of the others.

Shades of Cool was amazing ... I didn't mind the MVs for Love and LFL, though. I definitely think they were better than this or the FIILY/TG one.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

“Drove down to sunset in the truck, I’ll pick you up if you’re in town on the corner” as she stands next to her pickup truck. Pick up, truck. Interesting choice, makes me think she did the lyric “i’ll pick you up” as a small nod to what kind of truck from another song where she says “they don’t know what car i drive”

Laurel down to Sunset in the truck but you tried  :D

If I can “defend” Lana from some of the criticism...

This was filmed a year ago, and I don’t think she had any idea at all how praised the album would be at the time. Maybe she just wanted to film something cute and simple and asked her friends if they wanted to be in the videos with her.

And since this was filmed a year ago, I don’t know if we can criticize her for throwing food at cops (except that it’s such a waste of edible food) because she’s dating one now. They hadn’t met yet, but I’m glad she didn’t delete the scene just because she’s with a cop now.

But yeah, I still don’t know what to think of the music video.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

and Lana didn't want to release the Honeymoon music video because nothing happens... lol. 

That video is a masterpiece though.

The scene where she slowly puts on her make-up...changed my life.

9AgEi0c.gif

That video is a masterpiece though.

The scene where she slowly puts on her make-up...changed my life.

9AgEi0c.gif

Same, the HM video really takes me to another place. This one can't relate.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

The Doin Time video does match the story of the song imo. It’s about a cheating lover who makes the other person feel like they’re trapped in a prison, and the other person wants to “hold her head underwater”. That was presented pretty well in the video. She just put a fun twist on it where she’s a huge woman.

qfrWuBl.png

So it's not just me. Thank goodness because I'm seeing comments on other Lana fan pages and YouTube and they refer to this 3 part video as a masterpiece. I thought it was just me. 

The Craft is playing in my room. The aesthetics of that movie mixed with Practical Magic - Bartender playing in the background...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

To expand upon this ... she also could've done so much more with NFR and HIAB.

HIAB mentions so many places it could've taken place. For example, this is literally that Black Rabbit place, and they have a magic show and all this shit. The possibilities!

oMUTNFa.png

And instead she filmed it on the side of a highway in some urban bushland :rip:

And NFR ... I feel like there was a real opportunity there to have a Norman Rockwell character somewhere in it ... like a really overconfident fuckboy. And instead she pretends to play the piano, walks outside, sits in a hammock and beside the pool, all the while wearing glasses with atrocious CGI.

You know, I get that she didn't want to go high budget or whatever ... but it didn't need to be. IMO, it just isn't interesting and that's a real shame.

She hasn't always made high budget productions but she's almost always produced interesting content ... until this era.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

The video is cute

I wished she had  something filmed on the boat with Duke Nicholson aka her fuck boy in the video. It would have been a great reference/connection to the album cover but I guess the video was filmed way earlier... and I have to agree with a lot of people..the video for Bartender doesn't  fit the song...for me it is a little bit cringe that she throws food at cops during Bartender. And to be honest I excepted that something relevant happened in the end because of the explosions and so on

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Since the release of NFR I was so happy that she wanted to recreate her old DIY style videos, but now I realise how NFR DIY and Lizzy Grant DIY are different. As much as I love Chuck's photos, I think those last videos are a bit boring and "lazy". 

i thought it was really nice. of course it's elevated by the fact that the songs are so good (sorry MXDH!), but i still liked it. i loved the fact that it's all effortessly happening in the middle of a war and/or alien invasion... it's coherent with the concept of the album. 

the only things i didnt like were how shaky the camery could be sometimes + the NFR section i mean she's doing nothing at all for 3 minute straight :rip: (i loved, visually, the part where's she's sitting by the fountain though- really trippy!) + i'm completely triggered when she throws off the sandwich :rip:

it's obviously not what it could or should be, but i think it's a beautiful (and very intimate, given that it was literally recorded on her phone, with her friends, doing whatever, edited by herself, and recorded and directed by her sister) realization of what norman fucking rockwell means, emotionally and culturally.

happiness is a butterfly is just a really bad song, bad title, bad everything. the only worthy song out of this trio was NFR but she screwed that up pretty badly

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

happiness is a butterfly is just a really bad song, bad title, bad everything. the only worthy song out of this trio was NFR but she screwed that up pretty badly

You really want to win worst taste for the third year in a row, hm? :sass:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I re-watched the whole thing and I think this is a MASTERPIECE. And, yeah, there might and might have not been mushrooms involved, and I might have fallen asleep half-way and probably dreamed about a whole different thing, but it was GREAT.

source.gif