HeartshapedChevrolet

Paradise - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Paradise  

277 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite songs from Paradise?

• Ride
    • American
    • Cola
    • Body Electric
    • Blue Velvet
    • Gods & Monsters
    • Yayo
    • Bel Air
    • Burning Desire

Rank, rate, whatever, but comment on each track, i'm sure most of us here have heard the new album a good 5-10 times by now.......

Ride - 5/5

I liked it when i initially heard it, but after having it all this time i have really fallen in love with it and think it's one of her best songs. So gorgeous.

American - 5/5

I love it, i have the same feelings about this that i do about Ride. Everyone seems to love it to, i wouldn't be surprised if it's the next single.

Cola - 5/5

My favourite song on the album. The build up to the finale is amazing. I think live this could be really great, Lana's beehive hair might explode trying dem notes though.

Body Electric - 4/5

A little LESS creepy than the live version, but still dark and sexy. I was hoping for them Satanic "wooooo ooooh ahhhh" ad libs at the end like when she does it live, but that's ok. Cool song.

Blue Velvet - 4/5

It's nice, but i do need to be in the mood for it. The short running time works i think, it gives you just enough, any longer and it may have felt a little boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3.5/5

I want to love it, i really do, but i just don't. I do like it though, but it's missing something, maybe it's the utterly flat chorus, but i just feel like the track goes nowhere. It just stays the same the whole time and then just....ends. Anyway, it's still got a nice beat though and i like the "feel" of the song. Maybe it will grow more on me over time.

Yayo - 4/5

I prefer the Nevada version, but this is still nice. Considering everyone acted like it was the end of the world when the snippet for this new version came out, i'm happy to say that i don't think it's anywhere near as AWFUL as fans make it out to be. It works for this album, i'll just leave it at that.

Bel Air - 5/5

So dreamy and cinematic, i think it would make a nice final single to this whole BTD 2 year era. The vocal is beautiful.

Burning Desire - 4/5

I still think it should have been on the actual disc, but at least it's being kept as an iTunes bonus, so many people will still hear it. Very simple little track, but i do really love it. 1, 2, 3 lyrics......but the production is cool.

Ride - 2/5

This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5

A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5

I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5

I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. tomato.gif

Blue Velvet - 2/5

:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5

I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5

This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5

I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5

Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

The ugly side of PrettyBaby...

Alright, lemme do this and further put off the paper I should be writing. I'm hesitant to give anything below a 4, tbh, so I'll post my order of preference as well.

Ride - 5/5

A perfect lead single and emotional track overall. The production is actually flawless. I guess it's sad, like any other Lana song, but it's this new feeling of triumph and freedom that I don't think she's ever captured before. I'll say my favorite part is the production.

American - 5/5

I will not stand for the criticism of these lyrics, because this song is a fucking feeling, you know? What's so wrong with a song being felt, sort of visceral, instead of analyzed for brilliant lyrical trickery? The bridge and onward ensures that this is a gem. It's all about the buildup, gradually progressing towards something really satisfying. As for it's content, it's very cute and the melody is one of the best on the album. Can I just say how cute the "like an American" at the end is?

Cola - 5/5

My hands-down favorite. It's not even them ~controversial~ lyrics. Just take in the beautiful instrumentation and the effortless sail of the chorus. Does that make sense? The chorus sails, dammit. Let's not forget the ending. It's so damn hectic. She really needs you to understand the taste of her pussy. It just goes crazy. The high notes are impressive. It reminds me of the bridge to "Match Made in Heaven" (you know, I am your queen), fully realized and perfected.

Body Electric - 4/5

I'm afraid this is a little more lukewarm than I anticipated, but it has it's redeeming qualities. I'm loving the drums, I just wish the final product was a little...darker. The verses seem too quiet and the bridge isn't as emotional as it needs to be. But the chorus, from "we get DOWN" to the dare I say ritualistic chanting of "I sing the body electric", is honestly top-notch. I love a quietly seething song--I just need more happening everywhere but the chorus. Definite demo-itis on this one.

Blue Velvet - 4/5

It sticks out like a goddamn sore thumb, but it's good. Maybe the tracklisting could have been slightly rearranged to prevent its placement on the album from bothering me so much. It's definitely the least exciting song on the album, but her performance on it is pretty good. What is there to say about this one? It's lovely and it has its place. I still weep for what could have been with "Heart-Shaped Box".

Gods & Monsters - 4.5/5

I'm awful close to this song. It's been my most anticipated since it's beginnings in the tracklist as "In the Land of Gods and Monsters". I love when Lana goes dark. This has some of the better lyrics on an album where lyrics are definitely not the strong point. The half of a point it's missing is on account of a bothersome lack of melody. In certain ways, this works, I guess. The chorus is everything, and that intro that got practically the entire fanbase drooling those months ago. Neither of these should be overlooked. This is less a review and more of a defense, but yeah. I pray she performs this live. I bet it'll be great.

Yayo - 4/5

Much better than I expected! Still don't like the initial "bla-ACK motorcycle", but her vocals sound a lot lovelier than I originally would have thought. Although I would say the best part of the 2010 version is the ending, I think I can also say that for this one--but for different reasons. Sure, there isn't an echoing "dark night", but the husky vocals serve this one well. It's more haunting than the original, I can give it that.

Bel Air - 4.5/5

Wow, this goddamn production! I'm no expert, but I think a lot of what Born to Die overdid is made up for flawlessly on this EP. It's not my favorite, but I think it's safe to call it the quintessential Paradise Edition song. Easily the best lyrics on the album. A huge portion of my praise goes to that bridge. This song does what The Paradise Edition does best--it haunts you and simultaneously captivates you.

Burning Desire - 5/5

This song will be the ending of the album for me, whether it's marketed that way or not. Why? It's a perfect ending. Again with that production. I've been loving those often criticized super husky vocals since it first came out. It's just a well-written song, simple and built to mesmerize. Let's be real--it's also the sexiest thing she's ever recorded, which doesn't hurt its score.

Preference:

1. Cola

2. American

3. Ride

4. Burning Desire

5. Gods & Monsters

6. Bel Air

7. Yayo

8. Body Electric

9. Blue Velvet

Watching the progression of songs from Born to Die up and down my favorites, it'll be interesting to see what the result of this is in a few months.

Perhaps I got a bit long-winded there.

Ride - 2/5

This song is sort of nice but... boring. There is just so much better stuff out there, including Lana stuff, to listen to.

American - 3/5

A little nicer, not quite as boring. I plan to find a playlist to stick it in and hope that does it justice so it can grow on me.

Cola - 1/5

I think this song is entirely about drugs of various sorts. Which isn't a bad thing; I just have no life experience with substances beyond alcohol and caffeine; so I lack a point of identification. Though I have plenty of experience swapping one emotional addiction for another. So I could probably be persuaded to look deeper. (I just don't want to look any deeper into the pussy right now; I mean what the actual fuck?)

Body Electric - 4/5

I'm pleased with how the studio version has turned out. BE is now worth listening to. tomato.gif

Blue Velvet - 2/5

:tapsfingersinirritation: Boring.

Gods and Monsters - 3/5

I like parts of it, and don't like other parts. I hope when I understand it better I will like it better.

Yayo - 3/5

This version is lovely in its own way, but the spaciness makes me think this song is about the drug after all. I just don't see a lot of reason to listen to this one rather than the love song (yes, love song, dammit) that is Yayo 2010.

Bel Air - 5/5

I adore this song so much. Bel Air is the entire point of the Paradise edition for me (at first listen. I am all about the ear candy.) Bel Air delivers. I hope when I understand it better I will still love it.

Burning Desire - 3/5

Yeah, probably should have been on the album. Nice moments. Not the best. But better than half of what made it on the second CD imo.

#letdownsofar #ohwellatleastnowwehavebelair #ducksandrunsforcover

Praying for you.

What will you do if Bel Air is about drugs?

Ride - 3.5/5

Ride is nice, I like the instrumentation but I'm not particularly fond of it lyrically apart from a few lines.

American - 5/5

Perfect really. Upon hearing the first verse I felt this huge rush of warmth and remembered this time when I was living with an old boyfriend and we used to get some kind of intoxicated, put on Graceland by Paul Simon and dance in the kitchen in our underwear while making pancakes. I can't really judge this track objectively because of that. I have very fond feelings towards it.

Cola 4/5

A few things really make this track for me. Firstly, that high note oh God wow. So impressed. Secondly the line

I pledge allegiance to my Dad for teaching me everything he knows

Just because she doesn't sing about family much and I was very moved by that. Do I have daddy issues?

Body Electric 3.5/5

I prefer the live version but it's still a strong track and I'll always be intrigued by it lyrically.

Blue Velvet 4/5

I like this, I don't get you guys. It's so swoony. Have you ever had listened to it with your eyes closed while lying down?

God & Monsters 2/5

Weakest track, in my opinion. It's not that it's bad but it's just kind of background music for me. Like I can listen to it and zone out a little and it's pleasant, but I'm not overly impressed. I do like the surf rock sounding guitar though, very La Sera.

Yayo 4.5/5

To be honest there isn't a lot she could have done to this track that I wouldn't have enjoyed. Only disappoint was the lack of DAAAAARK NIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Bel Air 4/5

It just feels like something Tim Burton would use in a film. I feel like it breaks up the album really nicely too, because it's a different sound to me.

Burning Desire 3.5/5

I like the low vocals. I think it wraps up the album nicely. It's like Bel Air really draws you in and holds you up and this lowers you down slowly and you're left nicely content.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

ride - 3/5, not so much of a fan, it's just not my style.

american - 5/5, love this one so much.

cola - 5/5, adore it. it's perfection.

body electric - 4/5, it's dope as a studio version, but the live one is still my favourite.

blue velvet - 3/5, like ride, not my style.

gods and monsters - 5/5, my favourite i think, love it.

yayo - 5/5, i'd say it's even better than the nevada version, and i love that song so much.

bel air - 4/5, i haven't listened as much, but it's nice.

lol at my in-depth review :smiles:

4r9w86.jpg

Before I rate the individual songs, I just want to make an annoying HDB-styled post on my overall thoughts of the album as a whole. I love it! I like it more than BTD because BTD gets a little monotonous at times and it's too polished, whereas this album is polished differently in a way that I can handle and enjoy. I also think that there's a great variation of styles song-wise. Each song sounds and feels different, which I cannot say the same for about BTD. I do think that BTD has much better lyrics overall. What Paradise lacks in lyrics it makes up for in every other aspect though. Main complaint of Paradise: the bridges. Normally Lana has amazing bridges that are really satisfying, but a lot of these songs don't have that. Blahblah, let's move on to the songs. sagbkjghakljhfajsdfhal

Ride 4.5/5

I think this is a great opening song, very cinematic and emotional. I love how Lana has done more vocal layering in this song and the album in general. I won't give it a 5 because something Maru pointed out a month or so ago stays true with me as well; The song is lovely and beautiful, but it's kind of generic when you think about it. I also would have liked it better if she hit the high note in the bridge a little cleaner because it seems restrained and it sounds like she struggled with it a bit. It's great single material but I can see myself skipping over it in a few months to get to the higher points of the album.

American 5/5

Sitar said a lot for me, I'd have to say we're on the same page about something for once! This song is a great build-up to a really satisying end. I can't say if it's my favorite yet, but it could definitely become so, and even if it doesn't, it's still one of the best on the album. I really just fucking can't with those of you complaining about the lyrics to this song. They are so natural and heartfelt, what is wrong with you. I saw Matt complaining about the line, "I was like, 'Hell yeah, that guy can sing,'" and that irritated me to no end. Guys, she doesn't need to have eloquent adjectives and amazing metaphors in every line of every song. This song is simplistically written yet direct. I feel like she's singing me a page of her diary when I play this song, it's lovely. How else would she have said those lines? There's no other way, this song is perfect. It is a feeling, it's a fucking adventure. I love it.

ALSO-one complaining thought. Does anyone else think it sounds like Lana is singing from behind like, a wall of paper or something? It seems like they used a weird vocal effect, idk. Sorry.

Cola 5/5

You know, after hearing the second snippet, I was really worried that this song would bore me and be one of those songs that you skip after verse one, but DAMN was I wrong. This song is fucking great, and it's so much more than I expected. I wanted to love this song and it has exceeded that feeling for me. It reminds me of vanilla ice cream. It's got the best bridge of the album, which really, it didn't have much competition considering most of the other bridges were lackluster, but it's a really great bridge. This song doesn't build up like American, rather, it sails smoothly until the bridge, and then just fucking EXPLODES in your face (sexual innuendos plz, this song also makes me horny :teehee:). The high note she hits in the bridge is what Jesus died for, the guitar that comes in during the bridge is the blood from God's veins. This song is perfect. It will probably become my favorite, and I don't really doubt that. I also really want to touch on the fact that this song fucking fades out, oh my god. I LOVE it when a good song ends by fading out, this song literally has everything I could ever want.

Body Electric 2.5/5

I'm not even going to touch on this song, it's such a disappointment.

Just kidding, I feel obliged to talk about it since it's part of the album, but it wouldn't get my attention otherwise. Maybe Lana performing this song months prior to its release many times ruined it for me, but the live versions are so much better and do so much for me. I couldn't be more disappointed with this, really. It feels so fucking flat that I can't even handle it. Honestly, for me, the violin/strings/whatever in the intro are what really did it for me with the live performances, they just really gave me chills and made the song. They hardly pay any attention to that aspect in the chorus, so it became very boring. I just loved the high strings and they aren't there, ugh. :( I like the tribal drums but that's about it. There are some noises in the right speakers during verse two that completely take away from the creepy vibe they tried to give off in the song. This song could've been an awesome scary-western style thing, but no, it didn't deliver. The vocals are okay, but she rushes it and that also takes away from the eerieness. I was going to give it a 2 but it's Body Electric so it can have a 2.5. I'll just stick with the live performances... maybe someone will take a live version and mix it with this one, and I'll get my strings with her solid vocal performance.

Blue Velvet 4/5

This song is great, but it feels so out of place between Body Electric and Gods & Monsters. Why did they put it there? It should have been near the end, ugh. :facepalm: Anyway, it's a really good song, I don't see why people don't like it. I don't have much to say on it because it's a solid song. I love the Loon here, very well placed. :)

Gods & Monsters 5/5

I love this song! I agree with some complaints others have had about it, but overall I really love the beat and the feel it gives off. The Loon in the chorus fucking kills me and I wish it were a bit louder because I'm a Loon-Lover, no shame. The main thing I want to say is that I am kind of disappointed with the bridge. I wish she had taken some kind of direction with it, it's too short and not different enough from the rest of the song. I'm okay with it though. I'd have given it a 4.5, but I love everything else about the song completely. I think the way that the beat stays the same keeps you in the moment with this song, and the moment is so strong that consistency is a good thing here. The lyrics are definitely better here than most other places. It would probably end up my favorite if it weren't for the bridge, but it's definitely up there. I'm just really happy with it in general though! :)

Yayo 4.5/5

I really like this version, as I far prefer the melody done with piano instead of guitar, but it's no 2010 Yayo, not at all. The lack of echoing/repeating "dark night" in the bridge makes the song feel so... empty. My first listen of this song, I was anticipating that moment so much, and i was so upset that it wasn't there. As I think of it though, I guess that makes the whole feel of the song work to its advantage, because the empty feeling that the silence gives me works really well with the haunting effect of the song. Maybe I'll change my rating from a 4 to a 4.5 when I'm done typing my review.. I like that she sings on beat for the second chorus, as i was worried she'd sing way off for every chorus. It makes me really happy that the Loon is here. :flutter: This song is very violet to me, and this version upsets me a lot more than the 2010 version, in a good (i guess?) way. I LOVE the breathing in the beginning and during the bridge. I love it so much. It kind of sounds like Lana is about to cough in the last chorus, right when she says "I wear your sparkle," lol. Here's a funny thought brought about by that cough, what if Lana didn't just do each song in one take, but the whole album in one take? There's a challenge for you, Lizzy.

Bel Air 5/5

I can see this one creeping up and becoming my favorite overall in a few months. It's absolutely beautiful, and like others have said, best lyrics on the album here. I LOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEE the sounds of children in the beginning and end, and sometimes I can hear them during the verses. Birds chirping, too. God, this song is magnificent. :flutter: Here's a confession for you, I thought this song was overrated from the snippets, people were going way too crazy over this song. Now that I have it in full though, I love it and I understand the appeal with it. I like how she sings high in this song, it's like Lucky Ones. I love Lucky Ones. :flutter: This song just makes me feel really nice inside. It makes me want to hug Lana so badly, like, when i meet her, I'm going to thank her for making this song, this song specifically. It's so nice... dreamy sigh

Burning Desire 5/5

This song is so damn catchy. A lot of people said it's a grower, but I liked it right away. I love the huskiness in her voice, it's such a sexy song. It kind of makes me want to have sweaty bear-sex in the middle of a forest right next to the California coast. :creep: One complaint though, and this is going to sound insane coming from me, but... I HATE THE LOON IN THIS SONG. IT DOES NOT BELONG. IT'S SO OUT OF PLACE, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY PUT HIM THERE. It's like, I'm sitting here, sexyfied up, ready to have swex (sweaty + sex = swex :creep:) in the forest, and the bridge comes along, and I'm like yyyeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, enjoying the repitition of it until the Loon comes in like "lol hey wuss6p" ..... <_____< no go away u suck.

askjfhsjklghjk so many words klsajgl

14417469274.gif

RIDE: 5/5: I absolutely love this song since I first heard it, I was expecting a "happy" first single, and when I heard Ride I was like this is so beautiful, glad it got a video.

COLA: 5/5: This song is EPIC in every way, I just wish there was a guitar solo it would made the song even more epic.

AMERICAN: 5/5: This song sounds to me like a christmas song sometimes, its beautiful.

BLUE VELVET: 2/5: Meh.

YAYO: 5/5: I actually prefer this to the original, I can I actually get the trailer park feel from this one and the piano makes it even better.

GODS & MONSTERS: 5/5: My favorite from the EP, the song its perfect in every way, its like a movie and the part where she sings "like Jim Morrison" feels like the wind on a beach, its just AWESOME, I still agree with HundredDollarBill, I was expecting a more epic bridge, not a lazy one, I still love the song for what it is. ALSO DOESNT ANYONE HEAR A MAN COUGHING AT THE END OF THE SONG?

BODY ELECTRIC: 4/5: If I hadn't heard the live version I'd probably love this one, wish it was darker, but its a good song anyway.

BEL AIR: 5/5: GORGEOUS. Perfect way to end an album, the children playing in the background makes it even more beautiful, its a sad incredible song. My second favorite definitively.

BURNING DESIRE: 5/5: This song is pure sex. Love it.

Ride- 4/5

I do love this song, but the verses can be a little...flat at times? but maybe it's because i've heard it for ages now. I really love the bridge and the chorus after it though! think it's amazing but definitely not the best off of the album so i have no idea why she released it first... :creep:

American- 4.99/5

just amazing but the ONLY this that kind of annoys me is after the chorus there are these chime things that just ruin it for me, but it's amazing and i loooooove it soooo much!

Cola- 5/5

stuck in my head all day and i don't even know the words

Body Electric- 4/5

ammmmazing but compared to American, Cola and Gods and Monsters i don't think it's as good as them so i couldn't give it a 5 but i reaaaaally love it!

Blue Velvet- 3/5

Maybe i'm being generous with this one but i don't think it fits at all with the album. But saying that, it does provide a lighter song in between all the dark ones but i personally prefer her dark songs.

Gods And Monsters- 1000000000000/5

Cannot handle this piece of art :defeated: surprised at the low ratings it got on here. It's the best and you will all deal :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

Yayo- 3.5/5

I loved this song before i even knew it was on Paradise but it just feels so weak comapred to her other songs...especially coming after Gods and Monsters which you all know i fan-girl over. Still pretty good!

Bel Air- 3/5

It's ok, it's haunting but some how i get a summery vibe from it. not as good as the others IMO.

Burning Desire- 3.5/5

I do like it but i felt kind of forced to like it for some reason...LOVE the bridge but the rest....i dunno :L

album overall: 5/5 because the good songs on it are mind blowing that the lower scores don't even compare.... :flutter:

mH07H.png