evilentity

L.A. Times Interview 2019.03.10

Between this and the "For Free" cover, man, Ann Powers really got in her head with that backhanded comparison to Joni Mitchell. Living "for free" in there.

Lana’s been on a major Joni kick since before that article though. She references her work constantly on this album and periodically throughout her other albums. For years she’s been hinting she’s a devout Joni fan (any Joni fan could’ve put the clues together years ago), so no, I don’t think she’s focusing on Joni right now because she’s hung up on Ann Powers’ review. (Although, I wouldn’t doubt she came across the review initially and chose to read it because of the Joni Mitchell comparisons)

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I feel like certain individuals on this board won't like some of the quotes from this new interview.  :teehee:

@ me next time

It’s like she interpreted Ann’s article as showcasing something personal and hurtful that she’s never discussed publicly.

Ummm... what the fuck? Is there something you're trying to tell us here, Lana? I'm gonna have to go back and read that Ann Powers review again. I do not remember reading that into it.

Yeah, reading through Ann's article again, I'm pretty sure she's referring to this line in the last two paragraphs that I've bolded below:

"Beloved imagination," Andre Breton wrote in the manifesto that, in 1924, announced Surrealism's intent, "what I like most in you is your unsparing quality." We live in a time when the interpretation of dreams has given way to psychopharmaceutical rebalancing, and when the neatening effects of self-actualization are generally considered more rewarding than the dwelling on the psyche's dark expanse. Recently, though, in the music of young artists like Billie Eilish and Logic, in the podcast-driven true crime craze and the work of women auteurs like Joanna Hogg and writers like Elena Ferrante, that expanse has again come into view. Lana Del Rey began her inquiries there. She is a creature born of trauma, possibly literally, if you take Lizzy Grant's teenage experiences with addiction into account; but certainly aesthetically. At its best, her music absorbs and disorients. It calls for interpretation, but in the most personal sense of the word – it wants to be crazily loved or angrily hated. It wants to trigger you.

NFR! still allows for that seductive uneasiness. It surfaces in the long outro to "Venice Bitch," a psychotropic soak that buries the chorus of the bubblegum drug trip "Crimson and Clover" in reverb, guitar noodling and Del Rey's voice murmuring a line that smudges the line between tenderness and obsession: If you weren't mine, I'd be jealous of your love. Even as she learns the comforts of coherence and closure, Del Rey still knows there's something to learn from the weird and the wrong.

That sorta echoes another line earlier in the piece.

What hooks the listener is the way she enacts her dramas just as the mind replays formative memories, especially painful ones.

Anyway, damn... I thought I read things into things a lot. I don't think Ann had any special knowledge here. I think her comments were just based off the narrative content of her lyrics and Lana read something into these words that I don't think Ann intended, something she's sensitive about, and it triggered her. And now she's put out there, vaguely, what Ann didn't. Basically the Streisand effect in interview response form.

What on EARTH is she talking about?

She has no mixing credits on Ultraviolence, and only has a handful of producing credits - which is always shared with multiple others (Pretty When You Cry, Flipside + Guns and Roses). Is she talking about that version of Ultraviolence that she threw away?

:oopna:

Is that right? It was a sort of Trumpian statement to begin with, but that would make it even more so.

Lana’s been on a major Joni kick since before that article though. She references her work constantly on this album and periodically throughout her other albums. For years she’s been hinting she’s a devout Joni fan (any Joni fan could’ve put the clues together years ago), so no, I don’t think she’s focusing on Joni right now because she’s hung up on Ann Powers’ review. (Although, I wouldn’t doubt she came across the review initially and chose to read it because of the Joni Mitchell comparisons)

Oh yeah, I'm not saying her being into Joni is a new thing, just that it seems heightened lately.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Also I’m so exhausted for her having to constantly clear up that she doesn’t have a persona. You’d think people would get it through their heads by now.

She obviously has and I don'r know why she startef to deny it

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

ummmm so have we just got a confirmation from her that she actually is dating that cop?  :awk:  

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

This is a great interview! Finally, someone who asks interesting questions. challenges her and actually asks follow up questions to her responses and keeps pressing her. I thought she showed some real self-reflection in her answers and I don't get a single hint of any of the awkward-ness people have pointed out? 

That fucking album OMG. She's probably made it 10 times over already in the past 10 years and we will never see it. It sounds PERFECT.

Great photos too whew. 

How are 80% of the forum going to bash her constantly for being boring, putting no effort into her performances, dressing like a regular person wearing the same shoes every day for a month, literally wear the same clothes on stage, wear minimal makeup, be completely unpretentious on social media and in interviews and yet simultaneously insist she has some huge mystical persona?  :lmao:  Please make it make sense.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Whenever I read the transcript of an interview I've watched with Lana, I'm always struck by how different she sounds in person. She's really the embodiment of 'it's not what you say, it's how you say it.' I doubt it had any of the stiffness that comes across when it's written.

locals only

The stuff she said about Ann Powers really put her reaction in perspective, I thought it was so random for her to have done that. But i get why she was upset at Ann for having basically equating her whole identity with childhood trauma. Her answer made me kind of sad bc it does seem to suggest she had a rough time growing up

The stuff she said about Ann Powers really put her reaction in perspective, I thought it was so random for her to have done that. But i get why she was upset at Ann for having basically equating her whole identity with childhood trauma. Her answer made me kind of sad bc it does seem to suggest she had a rough time growing up

It's really making me rethink her very young alcoholism  :ohno:

locals only

“He’s a good cop” I cannot stand this puta

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I love the questions but most of her answers make me want to go drown myself in a fountain, honestly.

Did you think about reaching out to Powers instead of clapping back on social media?
No. By the way, I didn’t know she was a big journalist.

She purposely went after the critic on social media thinking she was a ... small journalist? Knowing that 957435908730958079 fans would come for her? Yikes.

I do my own makeup

:awk: I ... uh ... Pamela?

I didn’t know we were being photographed. I would’ve worn something different.

Yes, you're only looking directly at the camera and you wear those shorts and shoes everywhere and get papped in them all the time, but 'k, Lanz.

My mood will dictate the show

This may be unpopular, but in my opinion, it shouldn't. People are paying money and she shouldn't be bringing her bad mood to a show. Last night, for example, it was painfully obvious that she was in a bad mood. I get that she's a human being, but she's only on stage for an hour and she needs to suck it up.

Well, the thing is, he’s a good cop. He gets it. He sees both sides of things.

Even good guys don’t know what toxic masculinity is

:smile3:

I was so inspired by Greta Thunberg.

why should she smile at people who are killing the planet?

Meanwhile, today Lanz flew 30 minutes from Seattle to Portland on a private jet :rip:

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

"And then I randomly see this one thing. In the piece, she said that I’d overcome something, and the way she said it one can only assume she meant I’d overcome child abuse. I’m like, “Don’t bring kids into it. Even if it’s me.” And I’ve never said anything about that."

giphy.gif

That's not how I remember it.

The whole incident happened because Ann Powers said something about Lana using a persona to release her music and Lana freaked out on her. It has nothing to do with abuse, or kids or overcoming child abuse. Lana is blatantly lying in this interview. And not promoting Honeymoon or Lust For Life because no one cared about her "mixing skills"? The vaping has eaten her brain cells. 

"And then I randomly see this one thing. In the piece, she said that I’d overcome something, and the way she said it one can only assume she meant I’d overcome child abuse. I’m like, “Don’t bring kids into it. Even if it’s me.” And I’ve never said anything about that."

giphy.gif

That's not how I remember it.

The whole incident happened because Ann Powers said something about Lana using a persona to release her music and Lana freaked out on her. It has nothing to do with abuse, or kids or overcoming child abuse. Lana is blatantly lying in this interview. And not promoting Honeymoon or Lust For Life because no one cared about her "mixing skills"? The vaping has eaten her brain cells. 

Lying seems too simplistic, imo. It's like she's talking to a psychotherapist instead of an interviewer. She first responds to why she responded to Ann in the first place and then later says: 'All I wrote was, “I’m not uncooked and I don’t have a persona.”'. That's not all she wrote, but it's a fair summary. While I think the way she responds to interviewers is sometimes really whack, I do usually end up agreeing with her suggested "defenses". In particular, Ann's article is way, WAY, too much about LDR's Id (just consider the review's title) and not enough about her superego (or even the music really).

BTW, I also cut LDR considerable slack on the absence-of-persona issue, in the sense implied by this example: If you just consider her big-budget BTD videos, as a representative sample of her work, you can say her persona fixates on death in each of them, but you can also say her artistry explores death in each of them (pretty diversely, imo). What does the former add to the latter?