Sign in to follow this  
mkultraviolence

Indigenous Peoples' Day 2019

Change the name?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Columbus Day should be changed to Indigenous Peoples' Day?

• No, I think we should keep Columbus Day.
    • Yes, I think we should change it to Indigenous Peoples' Day.
    • I think it should be changed to something else, but not Indigenous Peoples' Day.
    • I think we should have both.
    • I think we should have neither.
    • I don't care.

Second Monday of October, you know what it means!! No school! Celebrating genocide! Halloween is almost here!

I want to post a photo my dad took just an hour ago (7:30 AM) but didn't know where I should post it so I made my own thread where we can respectfully discuss what we think about historical figure statues and changing the name nationally (USA) and statewide from Columbus Day to something else. We can also discuss the importance of recognizing and celebrating the culture of not only aboriginal Americans, but native people from all nations. 

I will be permissive in regards to what is talked about on this thread. We can talk about the impact of colonization of any country, how to enact a change in how land and culture is treated, where is the line between acknowledging history and celebrating it?, etc. If the thread ends up having too many different discussions we can make separate, focused threads.

18850662_G.jpeg?auto=webp&disable=upscal

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

i remember learning about christopher columbus in my american literature class. he was an asshole and everyone hated him. sucks that everyone celebrates him "discovering" a continent that was already discovered

the holiday should definitely be changed to Indigenous Peoples day

i remember learning about christopher columbus in my american literature class. he was an asshole and everyone hated him. sucks that everyone celebrates him "discovering" a continent that was already discovered

the holiday should definitely be changed to Indigenous Peoples day

This is the same 'controversy' (when it shouldnt even be one) in Australia for Captain Cook and 'Australia Day' which a fair amount of us now just call 'Invasion Day'

just rename it to some other italian so the germanottas can have their sales boost in joanne's trattoria

Yasss!! Verdi day!!

Anyway I’m totally for abolishing Columbus Day cause he literally kickstarted the genocide of indigenous people and for the creation of indigenous day

As for the replacing I don’t really care, like, it could be any other day, but I guess it would have an additional message if it were to replace it

In general I dont think people should be celebrating things like nationality or who first reached certain parts of land, it was all hundreds or thousands of years ago anyway and people now have little to nothing in common with them.

If it was me the day would be cancelled and not replaced by any other, we are really all indigenous to the planet and should be able to go where we want when we want without people trying to claim it.

The topic is iffy to a point for me bc if it wasn't for Cunt-lumbus I literally wouldn't exist but at the same time fuck him for literally helping erase the Taino people and almost all of its culture. I could definitely care less about celebrating him and we definitely need to change his day to Indigenous Day. Native Americans are truly and unfortunately 3rd class citizens in a First World country. I've seen on twitter that elementary school teachers are now teaching the truth about Demon-lumbus which is a great way to start educating people about the white-washed history of the world.

I've been wanting to try and do a DNA test because I'm the whitest Puerto Rican in my family tree apart from some of those in my dad's grandfather's side (Spanish ancestry), everyone else is fairer, caramel, or dark-skinned. Its truly an interesting topic

The topic is iffy to a point for me bc if it wasn't for Cunt-lumbus I literally wouldn't exist but at the same time fuck him for literally helping erase the Taino people and almost all of its culture. I could definitely care less about celebrating him and we definitely need to change his day to Indigenous Day. Native Americans are truly and unfortunately 3rd class citizens in a First World country. I've seen on twitter that elementary school teachers are now teaching the truth about Demon-lumbus which is a great way to start educating people about the white-washed history of the world.

I've been wanting to try and do a DNA test because I'm the whitest Puerto Rican in my family tree apart from some of those in my dad's grandfather's side (Spanish ancestry), everyone else is fairer, caramel, or dark-skinned. Its truly an interesting topic

I agree with you completely. Also, fellow white Puerto Rican here!!! I think I'm lighter though because of my mother's Portuguese side. My dad has kinda brown skin so maybe he has Taino ancestry. I'd love to find out more and I hope you can, too

Super interesting topic. I live in a city with pretty much extreme racism towards the Indigenous. They're a very integral part of the population where I live and yet there is next to nothing in regards to Indigenous student representation in our university/education system overall, etc.On the flip side, there's a massive Indigenous over-representation in the justice system (with tons of mistreatment from our own officers though thankfully some of these cases are being cracked down on now). You'll basically never see a homeless person out here who isn't Indigenous, and it's a pretty decent city. Just seems like no one cares. I could go on and on. It's amazing how many people are still delusional over Columbus and everything related.

I'm glad for threads like these and how things do tend to change with more attention to them :)

I don't think this indigenous day branches out to Australia but here's some good news:

Uluru has finally closed to people climbing. It made me sick to see such massive crowds rushing and lining up to climb it before it closes. Imagine being so racist and disrespectful.... They should have just closed it straight away, rather than letting people plan for a last climb.

I've visited the rock 3 times but never climbed it. (I wanted to when I was like 7 but my mum scolded me and told me about how disrespectful it is, I'm glad)

The rock is forever damaged and the path where people walked on it will not erode back to normal for God knows how long.

I just hope this giving back to Traditional Owners continues across the world.

And sooner rather than later

I don't think this indigenous day branches out to Australia but here's some good news:

Uluru has finally closed to people climbing. It made me sick to see such massive crowds rushing and lining up to climb it before it closes. Imagine being so racist and disrespectful.... They should have just closed it straight away, rather than letting people plan for a last climb.

I've visited the rock 3 times but never climbed it. (I wanted to when I was like 7 but my mum scolded me and told me about how disrespectful it is, I'm glad)

The rock is forever damaged and the path where people walked on it will not erode back to normal for God knows how long.

I just hope this giving back to Traditional Owners continues across the world.

And sooner rather than later

nah, this thread was made to talk about aboriginal Australians, too! I know absolutely nothing of the history of Australia before it was "established". I don't know about the rock, but it sounds like good news that people won't be able to climb it. This thread is open to talking about all the original residents of the world. I'm not educated on much but I'd love to learn!