Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Pre-Release Thread

Well it's still an audio piece track by track, right? Also, $$$. I know LA Who Am I To Love You is on there, so I'm half expecting the rest to follow through too.

usually audiobooks are either on streaming services or on sale as actual books. since Violet is on sale as a book on audible, iBooks etc it prolly wont be released on music streaming services. It wouldnt make sense to only upload 1 track instead of the entire album on release day

image.png

I am kinda still reeling from this. Kudos to this being properly releasing and not having some random 10 year old leak it #CassetteGirl

This just elevates her legitimacy as one of America's greatest artists even higher. I really resisted reading too much or weighing into her poetry before now, but listening to her words and the authenticity in the delivery, I think this is one of her greatest artistic creations . . . maybe the best. Listening to the her speak the words conjures up so many images but the intertextual references to her body of work (and directly to Norman FUCKING Rockwell!) are also clever and considered to the point where it feels familiar. And the stories she tells are heartbreaking, beautiful, hopeful - there are too many good moments to mention but the best of the album is Sports Cruiser, where she earnestly confesses her self-doubt and imposter syndrome before resolving to change. The vulnerability is stunning. That, or the serene horror of Bare Feet on Linoleum, where a cacophony of voices ask questions over and over along with rising, moaning strings and synths - creating a terrifying dimension as Lana speaks over them before joining in as if she's been hypnotised. Awesome.

I've totally disregarded Jack's contributions to NFR in the past, but his incidental music took me totally by surprise. I'm sorry. @Jarred is right. His music has huge range, like I said drawing from all kinds of sounds that remind me of Brian Eno's scores to Debussy's pianos. It's the perfect level of pleasant without boarding into obnoxiously inappropriate. Delicate soft electronic wefts that sparkle, soft and lilting pianos, quirky jazz that flows like a radio play - it accentuates Lana's vulnerability, and without it the work would not be the same. 

I am looking forward to rearranging a playlist of NFR's songs and Violet's poems, which I think would flow amazingly, and definitely allow a bit more variety. I think the scrappy, unpolished vocals on their own would've sounded bizarre but among the well produced sound, it couldn't have been more authentic.

I have mocked the process in the past but I'm definitely eating shit now because this was so, so worth it. Lana I'll never question you again I'M SORRY.

3lfQEhw.png

Has it been confirmed if the printed version will have more poems than the audiobook?

Yes. Over 100 pages

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

the quality audio of the second poem is atrocious.

it really reminds me of the purposely bad 'radio filter' that was on the Lust for Life trailer. Except this was clearly even worse to start with. 

3lfQEhw.png

usually audiobooks are either on streaming services or on sale as actual books. since Violet is on sale as a book on audible, iBooks etc it prolly wont be released on music streaming services. It wouldnt make sense to only upload 1 track instead of the entire album on release day

Usually, yes. But in this case, it's just about everywhere, even listed already on iTunes New Zealand Top 100. I just wonder if Spotify will end up adding the rest of them or if they'll really just leave this single track there on its own. Either way, they wouldn't just randomly add one without intending on releasing it there.

That, or the serene horror of Bare Feet on Linoleum, where a cacophony of voices ask questions over and over along with rising, moaning strings and synths - creating a terrifying dimension as Lana speaks over them before joining in as if she's been hypnotised. Awesome.

Usually, yes. But in this case, it's just about everywhere, even listed already on iTunes New Zealand Top 100. I just wonder if Spotify will end up adding the rest of them or if they'll really just leave this single track there on its own. Either way, they wouldn't just randomly add one without intending on releasing it there.

everywhere as in that one (1) track is charting (and lbr, in new zealand all it takes is prolly 3 sales to get #64)

i deffo dont expect them to put it on streaming services - this is mostly coming from simon & schuster after all, they prolly wont allow for it to be put on streaming in its entirety.

image.png

@violets @HighbytheSea

ahhhh now I regret talking it up so much. 

:raven:

but i'd be lyin' if I kept hidin' the fact that I can't deal.

Just make sure you've got headphones in. You'll love it. You'll ALL LOVE IT. The tension on Bare Feet is almost palpable. 

3lfQEhw.png

everywhere as in that one (1) track is charting (and lbr, in new zealand all it takes is prolly 3 sales to get #64)

i deffo dont expect them to put it on streaming services - this is mostly coming from simon & schuster after all, they prolly wont allow for it to be put on streaming in its entirety.

Oh I know, and I still stand by what I said. Of course, I can't say if they will or won't. But hopefully!

Well, at this point I honestly don’t even know if I’m mentally prepared for it

I feel like this is going to be huge and bold and magnificent and deeply touching

I’m so excited omg

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

Other than a 20 second clip of LA Who Am I To Love You that I heard on twitter, I haven’t heard anything yet, but I’m glad I get to read the poems for now because it truly is holding me over til I get to listen (most likely tomorrow when I wake up but maybe tonight!)

I’m so so so so so excited to hear the music and how she says everything, especially after all the praise on here today (especially from people who had no interest in this project before)

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

If there's never-ending podcasts on it, a 40 minute book with piano sounds by a top streamer artist wouldn't be that out of place

but at the end of the day it’s a book and i’ve never seen an audiobook on spotify

If there's never-ending podcasts on it, a 40 minute book with piano sounds by a top streamer artist wouldn't be that out of place

but at the end of the day it’s a book and i’ve never seen an audiobook on spotify

giphy.gif