Elle

Bare Feet on Linoleum

Alright, so this poem also seems to be about her mother...? At least thats how I am interpreting now after her Mother's Day post and considering the content of LA Who Am I To Love You:

"Secrets about [...] mother"

So Lana is alluding to something noone knows about her mum

Then, "all of the people you meet on the street will reiterate lies that she uttered", meaning her mum might have told others something Lana considers untrue.

Lana is experiencing nightmares, waking up "late at night", with "tiny beads of sweat dot[ting her] forehead", after dreaming of escaping to the island of Catalina

"But alas, this is a real life - and it's been a real fight just to keep my mind from committing treason"

You can only commit treason to someone who trusts you, so it must be someone close to Lana - and again, it is a woman, because in the next paragraph, she says "She told the townspeople i was crazy"

Lana grew up in the small town of Lake Placid, and I interpret this as Patty telling everyone lies to hide Lana's alcoholism which lead to her going to boarding school?

Now, the "treason" might be to just spill everything about their relationship. Lana has said in the past she can't talk about some stuff as long as some people are still alive.

"i've gone scorched earth" aka Lana's life has been hell

"Would standing in front of Mt Rushmore feel like the great American homecoming I've never had?" 

Could this mean Lana's mum has never been proud of her, or her achievements?

And then, "Would the magnitude [...] take the place of the warm embrace I've never known?"

So it seems Lana is not coming from a very loving family.

The poem then ends with Lana preparing dinner, giving us insight in what's going through her head when she is alone.

image.png

14 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

Alright, so this poem also seems to be about her mother...? At least thats how I am interpreting now after her Mother's Day post and considering the content of LA Who Am I To Love You:

Then, "all of the people you meet on the street will reiterate lies that she uttered", meaning her mum might have told others something Lana considers untrue.

Lana is experiencing nightmares, waking up "late at night", with "tiny beads of sweat dot[ting her] forehead", after dreaming of escaping to the island of Catalina

"But alas, this is a real life - and it's been a real fight just to keep my mind from committing treason"

You can only commit treason to someone who trusts you, so it must be someone close to Lana - and again, it is a woman, because in the next paragraph, she says "She told the townspeople i was crazy"

Lana grew up in the small town of Lake Placid, and I interpret this as Patty telling everyone lies to hide Lana's alcoholism which lead to her going to boarding school?

Now, the "treason" might be to just spill everything about their relationship. Lana has said in the past she can't talk about some stuff as long as some people are still alive.

"Would standing in front of Mt Rushmore feel like the great American homecoming I've never had?" 

And then, "Would the magnitude [...] take the place of the warm embrace I've never known?"

The poem then ends with Lana preparing dinner, giving us insight in what's going through her head when she is alone.

If your interpretation holds any truth then this must be why I resonate with the poem so much having a bit of a poor relationship with my own mother, I didn’t even know how to interpret what she was saying I just understood her tone and the hesitation on some of the lines, enjoying how bleak and how the audio poem sounds like it’s coming to a boil by the end like she’s about to get pushed over the edge and commit the treason she spoke about.  thanks for posting that 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, Elle said:

This one is so visual to me, like a scene in a horror movie or mind thriller.

I visualise her sitting in a chair in large, cream-coloured, empty room with one glass wall she's facing that we're looking through while she's reading the poem out of her book. Then behind her are these faceless silhouettes, almost like robots but more human-like (slenderman-esque?), that stand behind her reciting the lines heard in the background. Then at the point of the poem where she says "& now, I’m left wondering, where do I go from here?" she looks up towards the glass but her eyes glossed over as if she's what she's looking towards is just one-way, mirrored glass & the figures begin to walk towards her, until at the end when the poem stops they are surrounding her - some playing with her hair, smoothing her dress, adjusting her ankles - and she closes her eyes, leans her head back, and begins to recite back the words they had been saying to her - "people love my stories."

(I feel sort of ridiculous posting this strange visualisation, but it's just what I see!) x

This is an amazing visual I’m actually terrified 

40 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

perfect interpretation 

s a y y e s t o h e a v e n :twirls:

I love that poem so much, I really identify with it and with sad story about relationship with mother (mine wasn't wonderful either). In spoken version these voices are like they were in her head, like wht she hears from other or what she would like to think about her stories. She seems often so unsure about her art but she shouldn't - it is beautiful! :wub:

I know it isn"t so important thing but in spoken version I hear the first line like:

'Stand (on) path 

Sylwia Plath' 

Would somebody check it if I am right and change the lyrics in the first post, please? @Clampigirl sweety? :kiss2:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9525104eb9fe0669c44f

1 hour ago, ProstituteStares said:

I love that poem so much, I really identify with it and with sad story about relationship with mother (mine wasn't wonderful either). In spoken version these voices are like they were in her head, like wht she hears from other or what she would like to think about her stories. She seems often so unsure about her art but she shouldn't - it is beautiful! :wub:

I know it isn"t so important thing but in spoken version I hear the first line like:

'Stand (on) path 

Sylwia Plath' 

Would somebody check it if I am right and change the lyrics in the first post, please? @Clampigirl sweety? :kiss2:

Nope, I clearly hear "Stay on the path, Sylvia Plath". :)

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

The shared sentiment in

Would standing in front of Mount Rushmore feel like the great American homecoming I never had?

Would the magnitude of the scale of the sculptures take the place of the warm embrace I never got?

and

What the fuck's wrong in your head to send me away, never to come back?
Exotic places and people don't take the place of being your child

:crying4: