Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

7 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

PITCHFORK RAISED BORN TO DIE'S SCORE
Imagem

ย 

AS THEY FUCKING SHOULD GIVE HER THAT DAMN STRAIGHTย 8!!!!!!!

1.jpgย  3.jpgย ย 2.jpgย 

They can't actually change it (I don't know why, they just said at the beginning of the article that they can't change album scores), but it's nice to finally see them judge BTD byย the music and not by Lana as a person/the controversy surrounding her at the timeย 

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย imageproxy.jpg

1 minute ago, Super Movie said:

They can't actually change it (I don't know why, they just said at the beginning of the article that they can't change album scores), but it's nice to finally see them judge BTD byย the music and not by Lana as a person/the controversy surrounding her at the timeย 

ย 

:noparty:ย that sucks

1.jpgย  3.jpgย ย 2.jpgย 

Lana Del Rey:ย Born to Dieย (2012)

5.5 โ†’ 7.8

ย 

Itโ€™s hard to describe how overheated the discussion around Lana Del Rey was in 2012, when critics eyed her femme fatale persona with cynicism and you couldnโ€™t scroll a Tumblr dashboard without passing a flower crown. But late one night that summer, I set out for a long drive, slid a burned CD in the player, and realized the open road feels likeย Born to Die, all smooth glossy surface and the riskiest danger around, the kind where youโ€™re the victim. The future looks pitch black and you glide right in. Lana is reaching for something: the fulcrum point where the fear and pain of sexualization start to work as leverage. There is a lot of room to miscalculate; some weaker tracks show up toward the end, and the singing is sometimes less than polishedโ€”the best early-era Lana material is the follow-upย Paradiseย EPโ€”butย Born to Dieย turned out to be a sign of things to come, like genre-agnostic pop ballads with hip-hop beats, and the arch, depressive languor thatโ€™s more mainstream than ever. Sit back and imagine what the Lana of 2012 would get clowned for now: Singing the opening lines ofย Lolita? Ordering a โ€œPabst Blue Ribbon on iceโ€? โ€“Anna Gaca

1.jpgย  3.jpgย ย 2.jpgย 

15 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

Imagem

ย 

I mean she literally changed the game, she did something never heard before, she created a whole universe, she raised a whole genre... BTD aint even my fave but she touched music forever with this oneย 

I remember people saying that around the 10th anniversary of 'Born To Die', publications like Pitchfork would rescore the album to a much higher grade.ย :true:

ย 

Spoiler

Side note: Theirย scoring method is so damn corny. Just give it a fucking 8. Next on the list is Ultraviolence getting the 9 it deserves.

ย 

Itโ€™s so pathetic for them ย to finally decide toย acknowledge its excellence after mocking the music and the artist for several years โ€ฆย 

ย 

ย 

๐‘ณ๐’Š๐’‡๐’† ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’‚๐’–๐’•๐’Š๐’‡๐’–๐’ ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’• ๐’š๐’๐’– ๐’…๐’๐’'๐’• ๐’‰๐’‚๐’—๐’† ๐’‚ ๐’„๐’๐’–๐’†

It means nothing. Its like trashing your mates house a decade ago and then coming over today and apologizing for it. Fuck off Pitchfork.

ย 

UY5P.gif

ย 

They're only saying and changing thier mindย BC she proved them all wrong.

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย 

20 minutes ago, Honeyyoung said:

Imagem

ย 

Just saw the article. Lana has, FINALLY,ย got to the point where not recognising her inmense talent is somethingย to be ashamed of, and I couldn't be happier about it. Pitchfork themselves, as much as I'm grateful for their wide coverage on cultural issues, have just shown themselves to be oportunistic d*uchebags. I absolutely can see them treating her as some kind of new Fiona Apple (going by their own standards, I mean) in not a lot of time from now on.

the only way to get someonesย attention is to remove yours

ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  ย ย 7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

ย 

2 minutes ago, Stargirls Dealer said:

They would have if it wasnโ€™t for Lucky Onesย :trisha:ย :omfg2:

ย 

lmfaoooย 

1.jpgย  3.jpgย ย 2.jpgย 

Just now, West Coast said:

I remember people saying that around the 10th anniversary of 'Born To Die', publications like Pitchfork would rescore the album to a much higher grade.ย :true:

ย 

ย  Hide contents

Side note: Theirย scoring method is so damn corny. Just give it a fucking 8. Next on the list is Ultraviolence getting the 9 it deserves.

ย 

ย Was thinking about this too. If BTD is suddenly 2.3 freaking points higher out of nowhere, what should we expect regarding the rest of her discography?

ย 

Spoiler

Maybe going to be killed by some for saying this, but if her albums are expected to be re-scored on a fairer way, a more modest score for NFR! should be on its way too xd

ย