Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

I can see Lana rolling her eyes as she reads this. Yes! It’s rightfully deserved, and later’s better than never —— but you’re nearly a decade late, Pitchfork. Too much has happened since your review for a lame extra 2.3 points (really? Only that much?) to “revisit” anything.  :typewriter:

1 minute ago, Stargirls Dealer said:

I say these things just to get a reaction out of you WC. Don’t get me started on The Other Woman :ma: :omfg2: :kiss:

Plssss :cryney2::air2::trisha:

Oh, I didn't see this discussion posted here, and posted a new thread about the Pitchfork thing, which may or may not be approved. On the plus side, Pitchfork are a constant inspiration to people, in that they prove you don't have to have been born with ears to be a music reviewer.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

On 8/16/2021 at 5:17 PM, The Siren said:

Here's my ranking lately. 

Key

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average trinity

Good songs I don't always vibe with trinity

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting trinity

1. Without You
  2. Million Dollar Man
  3. This is What Makes Us Girls
  4. Off to the Races
  5. Lucky Ones
  6. Dark Paradise
  7. Summertime Sadness
  8. Lolita
  9. Born to Die
  10. National Anthem
  11. Blue Jeans
  12. Carmen
  13. Diet Mountain Dew
  14. Video Games
  15. Radio

I've recently cried listening to the whole album, specifically Dark Paradise, Million Dollar Man, Summertime Sadness, Without You, Lucky Ones

here's my current redo!

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average tier

Good songs I don't always vibe with tier

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting tier

1. Without You
  2. Million Dollar Man
  3. This is What Makes Us Girls
  4. Off to the Races
  5. Lucky Ones
  6. Dark Paradise
  7. Summertime Sadness
  8. Lolita
  9. Blue Jeans
  10. Born to Die
  11. National Anthem
  12. Carmen
  13. Diet Mountain Dew
  14. Video Games
  15. Radio

On 4/18/2019 at 11:20 PM, cognaclilac said:

how do we even discuss an album released so long ago yet so important

This album absolutely deserves discussion as much as the rest. Summertime Sadness was the first song of Lana's I EVER heard. It was on the radio, in the middle of winter. I liked it so much I looked up the singer, and the rest is history. Never has a single artist created so much amazing music imo. I admire the way she creates things. Video Games is such a brave, unique and unforgettable project. I could go on forever........💙

I know that a lot of people say Born to Die is her most “commercial” album but I don’t think the songs are inherently “commercial” at all — while it was her most commercially traditional album cycle, I actually think that while the lyrical themes and stylistic choices resonated with people and garnered attention, it was really the image that was kind of painted for her by the public that made everything feel more “commercialized”.

I’m not saying that Lana and her team didn’t capitalize off of that for the sake of establishing a career — it is quite essential to becoming as well known as she is, and from a business perspective, it is quite genius — but I genuinely believe that it’s still as authentic of a record to her as the records that followed it. I rewatch and reread interviews from 2011 and I truly do see a woman who wrote songs for the simple joy of it and recaptured moments of her life in musical form. And correlating songs to real events and people in her life just reinforces that (not that we are entitled to knowing those things for the sake of actually believing in the merit of the music, it’s just amazing and lucky that we have those things to back it up). 

She quite literally is a creative genius who created a never-done-before soundscape through which her lyrics could come to life. I don’t think the “grandiosity” of the record compared to her later work negates the realness of her creative output, and it’s a shame that the record — while being lauded as an iconic trailblazer — is somewhat seen as “stale” by some parts of the fanbase. I listen back to the record and I hear so much stardom and interweaving of different places, things, people, and emotions to create a world that is just so immersive. Nobody did it like her, and nobody continues to do it like her. 

This is just my rant about how Born to Die as a record really is the mother of so many things. I have so much respect and appreciation for it and really want to help restore its legacy to the actual music and the things that have made Lana such an enigma, icon, and legend, but also a friend, nurturer, and comfort in music over the last 10 years. That record is innovative to the nth degree and its classics like the title track, Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, and the song that started it all — Video Games — are history. 

I've been getting super into Born To Die lately. It's such a great record, and it produced some absolute classics. To this day, I think that Off to the Races and Video Games are two of the best songs Lana's ever made and most definitely some of the best songs of the 21st century. It's such a glamorous record and it does a fantastic job of mixing the aesthetics with reality. Even most of the unreleased tracks on the album are incredible too. I'm not one for re-releasing unreleased songs, but an extended version of BTD with songs like On Our Way, Us Against The World, Paradise, etc. would be so cool (or even Because of You, but I don't see her ever touching that one again lol). 

imageproxy.jpg

I just revisited this album today after a long time and god is this album under appreciated. It's a masterpiece and one of the albums that changed music forever.  It changed the music I listen to and broadened my horizon. It is a great stepping for the rest of her discography. I def needed this album to fall in love with UV and HM. Same for artists like Weyes Blood, Father John Misty etc. It is all thanks to this album and Video Games. This album definitely needs some kind of legacy award. It is not without reason that songs like TJF or Cinnamon Girl are fan favs - they all sound very BTD. Also the album cover is so iconic - it's crazy. The videos for BTD, NA, BJ and SS are some of her best music videos. They were all an event and I lived for it. That era is her best one. We got so much. As far as I know this is also her only album where all songs from the standard edition are certified in the US. That's crazy. I really would love to get a boxset next year with colored vinyl, bonus tracks and a photobook. Also an in-depth interview about this album (track by track) and the whole era. 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

Posting it here… 

not a confirmation of any sorts, I know y’all gonna bitch that’s it’s Dior Leaks and he ain’t credible blabla (he often checks out to be honest with many artists, because he has several sources; certain are reliable others ain’t. I know he ain’t more reliable than Eclipse or BoZ and often posts their info, but I’ll take rumours over the shit shot that was LDR9 ‘s prerelease thread this week 😂😂) I also know it ain’t any confirmation that it’s BTD either (Teenage Dream and one of Beyoncé’s albums also turn 10 this year, but the American 🇺🇸 flag is a hint on that direction).

4 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Posting it here… 

not a confirmation of any sorts, I know y’all gonna bitch that’s it’s Dior Leaks and he ain’t credible blabla (he often checks out to be honest with many artists, because he has several sources; certain are reliable others ain’t. I know he ain’t more reliable than Eclipse or BoZ and often posts their info, but I’ll take rumours over the shit shot that was LDR9 ‘s prerelease thread this week 😂😂) I also know it ain’t any confirmation that it’s BTD either (Teenage Dream and one of Beyoncé’s albums also turn 10 this year, but the American 🇺🇸 flag is a hint on that direction).

I'm still manifesting a 3LP version of BTD with Without You, Lolita, Lucky Ones and Burning Desire on golden vinyl and cassette 

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy