Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

8 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

if you could make an album out of all the leaked BTD demos, which demo would you choose for each song?

all the rock centred demos and the DMD demo that is lyrically the same as the final but starts softer

Radio demo is so good so defo that one 

Californ-I-A homeland of the Gods

Once I found my way

But now I am lost

22 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

if you could make an album out of all the leaked BTD demos, which demo would you choose for each song?

The only songs on BTD where I prefer the demos over the original are DMD (my favorite version is demo 3) and Lolita (my favorite version is demo 2, but for BTD I'd go with demo 1). However, going with the theme, I'd probably choose and arrange an album with the BTD demos like this 

1. Born To Die (demo 3) 

2. Off To The Races (literally any demo version that exists anywhere, take this as a hint :wink:)

3. Video Games (demo)

4. National Anthem (demo 1)

5. Diet Mountain Dew (demo 3)

6. Radio (demo)

7. Dark Paradise (demo 1, i know i talk a lot of shit about this song but i fuck with this version)

8. Carmen (demo)

9. Million Dollar Man (demo0

10. Summertime Sadness (demo)

11. This Is What Makes Us Girls (demo 3)

12. Hey Lolita Hey (aka Lolita demo 1)

13. Lucky Ones (demo)

I couldn't figure out where to put Blue Jeans or Without You's demo versions lol

imageproxy.jpg

11 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

1. Born To Die (Justin Parker demo)

2. Off To The Races (Shawn Lee & Tim Larcombe demo) [sadly unleaked :(]

3. Kinda Outta Luck

4. Radio (demo)

5. Diet Mountain Dew (Crispin Hunt demo)

6. National Anthem (Crispin Hunt demo)

7. Dark Paradise (Björn Yttling demo)

8. Motel 6 (Vicarge demo)

9. Carmen (Justin Parker demo)

10. Million Dollar Man (Chris Braide demo)

11. You Can Be The Boss

12. Lolita (Liam Howe demo)

13. Hundred Dollar Bill (David Kahne demo)

14. Prom Song (Gone Wrong)

15. Summertime Sadness (Rick Nowels demo)

16. This Is What Makes Us Girls (Tim Larcombe demo)

5oDY3ok.gif ZLI8w1N.png 5oDY3ok.gif

11 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

all the rock centred demos and the DMD demo that is lyrically the same as the final but starts softer

Radio demo is so good so defo that one 

I'm just discovering the BTD demos and really like them, especially the rock centred. National Anthem Demo 1 also seems to stand out particularly from the others.

12 hours ago, Super Movie said:

The only songs on BTD where I prefer the demos over the original are DMD (my favorite version is demo 3) and Lolita (my favorite version is demo 2, but for BTD I'd go with demo 1). However, going with the theme, I'd probably choose and arrange an album with the BTD demos like this 

1. Born To Die (demo 3) 

2. Off To The Races (literally any demo version that exists anywhere, take this as a hint :wink:)

3. Video Games (demo)

4. National Anthem (demo 1)

5. Diet Mountain Dew (demo 3)

6. Radio (demo)

7. Dark Paradise (demo 1, i know i talk a lot of shit about this song but i fuck with this version)

8. Carmen (demo)

9. Million Dollar Man (demo0

10. Summertime Sadness (demo)

11. This Is What Makes Us Girls (demo 3)

12. Hey Lolita Hey (aka Lolita demo 1)

13. Lucky Ones (demo)

I couldn't figure out where to put Blue Jeans or Without You's demo versions lol

perfect choice! :true:

I'd LOVE an anniversary deluxe that features the songs & demos she actually "pushed" quite a lot before the final album was dropped.

Like - the demos for Lolita, Radio, National Anthem and Diet Mountain Dew as well as You Can Be The Boss and Kinda Outta Luck.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

26 minutes ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I'd LOVE an anniversary deluxe that features the songs & demos she actually "pushed" quite a lot before the final album was dropped.

Like - the demos for Lolita, Radio, National Anthem and Diet Mountain Dew as well as You Can Be The Boss and Kinda Outta Luck.

Don't forget Hundred Dollar Bill, it was written in 2009/posted on her SoundCloud in 2010/later included on the 2011 album sampler/performed live multiple times so she must've liked the song a lot. 

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

Interesting quote from a very early interview about this album:

The concept of almost every song on the record is a dark love story seen through hopeful eyes. Lyrically its also about the way my life’s been for the past few years – from making my first record with famed producer David while living in a trailer park in New Jersey.

It’s also about my troubled love affairs.

Sonically, the record is a perfect mix of Old Hollywood Glamour and PoP production. Most songs are laced with lush Sinatra string sections. But the Bones of the songs are based in Fat beats.

Think Nina Simone singing a Cat Power song over lil waynes track. It’s Sick.

That's a great way to describe Lana's early B2D stuff. Does anybody have any interviews from August 2011 or earlier?

i'm making this post a day early...

happy 10th birthday, amazing, evocative, & world-changing BORN TO DIE! this is the album which brought lana del rey into stardom, notoriety, & catapulted her into the legend status she has worked hard to achieve over the years with other incredible albums such as "ultraviolence" & "honeymoon", this album contains some of her most polarizing & fascinating work, every song is it's own mystery, & every guitar pluck, vibrant lyric, & crooning of lana's sweet & distinct voice is a little hint of what it all means, this album is a deliciously dark mix of 40s/50s opulence & sordid stories of troubled love, despair, & hope, it's a true work of art & it is one of a kind, & i'd say it's aging like the finest wine, mixing together so many sounds & genres from different periods of time, i could easily say that it's timeless, however, many people didn't understand lana when she first arrived into the mainstream, she was faced with so much criticism because people couldn't understand her, they said she was a fake, she couldn't sing, she was weird, people thought she wasn't a good influence, however, i strongly disagree, her music is geniune & real, millions of people can relate to her music, she writes her songs in a way where they can beautifully fit any situation, feeling, or experience, in a way where you can see things in a new way, maybe with a new sense of beauty, even in things that may not appear beautiful at first glance, this album will stand the test of time & will continue to inspire & comfort, this is, the fantastic, notorious, polarizing, show-stopping BORN TO DIE! HAPPY 10TH BIRTHDAY! 

WGe8ynS.gif

It's you, it's you, it's all for you
Everything I do
I tell you all the time
Heaven is a place on earth with you
Tell me all the things you wanna do
I heard that you like the bad girls
Honey, is that true?

Ten years ago, this was the poetry that made me enamored with LDR and her music. The echoes of 50's Hollywood glamour, unrequited love, living on the edge between heaven and hell, and the stars aligning in perfect unity to create this record that would bring me so much comfort through some of the most challenging moments in my life. I'm currently listening to Video Games now, a decade later, and it still feels timeless as ever, and that feeling of timelessness shines through this sublime and life changing record. A true cultural reset, and i'm so proud of how expansive her catalog has become, and how she still presents unique perspectives through music. Here's to another ten.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I have typed this like every 2 year here but i have to for the a day early 10th anniversary!

I still remember renting the BTD CD when I was volunteering at a local library in the middle of 11th grade (Spring 2013), and the week after renting the Paradise EP that had came out like 2 months prior. I'm glad I decided to burn all of those songs on my computer and keep listening to them.

The first time I listened to this album top to bottom (I was starting to listen to full albums at this point) I found the songs all sound the same, but something told me to just bun the CD in my iTunes and listen to it again on my iPod for a second chance. And one by one I fell in love with all of the songs. The last two to like were National Anthem and the title track because of the rather "heavy/melancholic" chord progression. But one morning on the bus ride to school national anthem made sense, and I fell in love with it. Like a month later, I'm going through SoundCloud and these "unreleased" songs pop up, likely the first being Puppy Love (I would have made Lana a millionaire with the amount of times i played that song) and the demo for Dark Paradise; this is where i started to learn what demos, instrumentals, a capellas and stems were.

This album opened the doors of music for me. It got me to dive into discographies of other artists in pop, hip hop, RnB, electronic, alternative and indie music. And because I fell in love with music I now listen to Brazilian folk, French pop, Scandinavian rap, and whatever crazy music is out there. I write lyrics, I'm making music in garage band, i have a collection of ~300 CDs and vinyl's.

Born To Die did all of that. Thank u Lana 

Edit: Video Games is the #1 best written, best sung, best produced song ever in history. It is a capsule for what and who Lana is. It capsulates songwriting and musical emotion at its core. 

It would be painful for Lana not to acknowledge the anniversary. I think she will say something, but it would be beyond rude to fans and herself really to say nothing to the album that basically opened the door for her. I think her label should have done a re-release Its a very big mistake not to. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

All of you guys perfectly stated above what i wanted to say as well . English is not my first language so sometimes i find it difficult to articulate my thoughts and opinions.
What i can say is that it remains as one of the albums that influenced me the most in my early teen years . I remember listening to her songs on the radio and trying to find out who she was . I remember showing her to my friends when i was 12 years old and none of them really cared , they found her weird in a way especially when i showed them the summertime sadness videoclip :toofunny: 

I think that the song that stands out more for me is video games . I’ve listened to this song more times than i can count and every time it feels like the first time . I can’t explain properly how it makes me feel but i know that every time i listen to it i understand its impact and that makes me emotional . Another song that feels timeless as well is the title track , i get chills when i hear the opening line . There isn’t a song that i dislike in the album , i feel that everything ties together perfectly and creates a coherent soundscape that encapsulates Lana’s vision perfectly imo. 
I think that it would be really sad if she didn’t acknowledge it , she knows the album’s impact the least she can do is say something about it ( maybe re-release it,  no? :bebe:

edit: i forgot to mention off to the races ( how could i ? ) it’s in a league of it’s own , truly a masterpiece . 

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

I can't believe the 10-year anniversary is already tomorrow. I remember listening to Video Games nonstop in 2012 and always having Summertime Sadness stuck in my head. I still don't know why it took me so long to actually start fully listening to Lana outside of that :facepalm: It's crazy that it's already been a decade

imageproxy.jpg

4 hours ago, Super Movie said:

I can't believe the 10-year anniversary is already tomorrow. I remember listening to Video Games nonstop in 2012 and always having Summertime Sadness stuck in my head. I still don't know why it took me so long to actually start fully listening to Lana outside of that :facepalm: It's crazy that it's already been a decade

The way time goes so fast it’s scary

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance