Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

After being a user here for almost two years, I realized that I haven't seen a thread for BTD! I'd love to have a place to discuss and praise the iconic album, and I hope you'll find a need for writing here too. ♥

baaoHof.jpg

0DnRptd.gif

♥ Some other BTD related threads ♥

BTD turns 7 years old

Photoshoot location

Your fav song off BTD? Poll!

What if Lana had stopped making music after BTD?

Billboard chart immortality

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I'll kick us off with a BtD song ranking  :hooker:

Radio

Off To The Races

Without You

National Anthem

Born To Die

Million Dollar Man

Video Games

Summertime Sadness

Diet Mountain Dew

Dark Paradise

Blue Jeans

Carmen

Lolita

This Is What Makes Us Girls

Lucky Ones

I'm also pretty strongly of the opinion that the demos are overall better than the final versions  :creep:  I might do a demo ranking later

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I'll kick us off with a BtD song ranking :hooker:

Radio

Off To The Races

Without You

National Anthem

Born To Die

Million Dollar Man

Video Games

Summertime Sadness

Diet Mountain Dew

Dark Paradise

Blue Jeans

Carmen

Lolita

Lucky Ones

I'm also pretty strongly of the opinion that the demos are overall better than the final versions :creep: I might do a demo ranking later

We love a queen with taste!

The fact that Lucky Ones is one of the most hated songs by the fandom is really, really homophobic.

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

The fact that Lucky Ones is one of the most hated songs by the fandom is really, really homophobic.

It surprises me too, Lucky Ones has a beautiful chorus!

I'll kick us off with a BtD song ranking  :hooker:

Radio

Off To The Races

Without You

National Anthem

Born To Die

Million Dollar Man

Video Games

Summertime Sadness

Diet Mountain Dew

Dark Paradise

Blue Jeans

Carmen

Lolita

Lucky Ones

I'm also pretty strongly of the opinion that the demos are overall better than the final versions  :creep:  I might do a demo ranking later

ugh, finally someone putting TIWMUG on the end of the rank (where she deserves to be) taste

My mom blames my smoking on Lana Del Rey. So, where do I even start on Born to Die?

Ranking to me goes:

1) Born to Die

2) Video Games

3) Blue Jeans

4) Without you

5) Off to the Races

6) National Anthem (Demo included)

7) Million Dollar Man

8) Dark Paradise

9) Summertime Sadness

10) Diet Mtn Dew

11) Radio

12) Carmen

13) Lucky Ones

14) Lolita

15) This is what makes us girls

I remember the first time I listened to her so clearly... She made such a big impact in my life. And everyone turned on her so fast, but now they see BTD as the great thing it is. Truly made a platform for good artists and for... Well, not so good acts. And she's such an inspiration in pop music, gosh, I love BTD ❤️ So much! It was such a fun era! Little angel tryna be Amy on that private concert in France... Even made me think Bradley Soileau was cute LOL

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

yes but the Lucky Ones stans are so vocal it kind of balances out  :creep:

I also would've put VG and BTD hire up but I've listened to them sooo much I kind of killed them for myself, they don't have that freshness they used to have. It's hard to remember what songs I liked best when I first listened but my rankings have changed a bit over time (though Radio always been my #1) and I frequently find new things I love about the album.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I get you tbh. There was a time I didn't care for those songs since both me and the world overplayed them. But I appreciate the place they were coming from and in what period of time they were released... and besides I was 12 when she released BTD! Now I listen to them with another mindset and after actually living life. 

Do you think she could've released BTD now? I mean, with some of those lyrics... It caused a lil outrage back (to tha basics) then, I can't imagine now. I'm sure music industry wouldn't be what it is today w/o her. 

Besides... Those red Converse she used in the BTD video!

Remember when she was seen w Axl Rose? And later Marilyn Manson? God, I love her.

Nobody was like her. No one did things like Blue Jeans, VG, BTD and SS, she BLEW MY MIND with the Born To Die video... Her expressions, the visuals, everything she represented. She was so sensual ❤ so different and special. The Blue Jeans video too — whenever I watch it I go "Oh my Goddddd" and tbh that annoying backup "Sing!" ... I love it. 

I'm so nostalgic! 

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

Honestly I never realized how hard it would be to rank this album. This is as accurate as I can think of it to be at this moment

• Born to Die 
  • Blue Jeans
  • Diet Mountain Dew
  • Radio
  • This is what Makes Us Girls
  • Off to the Races  
  • Without You 
  • Summertime Sadness
  • Lucky Ones
  • Dark Paradise
  • Video Games
  • National Anthem
  • Lolita
  • Million Dollar Man
  • Carmen

This record was so important. There was simply nothing like being a fan during Born to Die. I know people say that Ultraviolence is the better album, and maybe it is, but I don't think it has the sheer impact that Born to Die (and Paradise) have had and if she had released Ultraviolence first I don't think she would have been the artist she is today. The instrumentals on both are pure lush heaven. This is still her defining album years later.

My rank, but really its just so hard. I turned 18 right after Born to Die released, and each of the songs is just its own pack of really strong memories as I finished up high school and went to college. My first exposure to her and a few of the songs was via music videos, so it is nearly impossible for me to separate some songs from their visuals. The original Blue Jeans video is maybe my favorite of all time.

1. Off to the Races
  2. National Anthem
  3. Born to Die
  4. Summertime Sadness
  5. Video Games
  6. Blue Jeans
  7. Lolita
  8. Without You
  9. Radio
  10. Million Dollar Man
  11. This is What Makes Us Girls
  12. Carmen
  13. Dark Paradise
  14. Lucky Ones
  15. Diet Mountain Dew

Diet Mountain Dew is so low because for the first year I knew Lana I thought one of the demos was the final version and I loved it so much, the vibe was so perfect especially after the tranquility of Video Games. Hearing the album version made me die a little.

Wow this thread made me remember how I so loved Lana back then. She was so quirky and had such an alternative vibe to her. She was the first real pop star, or really any band/artist, that I ever hardcore liked and she made me want to start singing and become my own artist. This was the first album I ever bought a physical copy of. I love it and I love who she was during this era. I'm sad that this Lana does not nor will ever exist again.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Oh, I didn’t think this thread would be approved when nothing happened after a day lol. x) I was listening to the album some week ago and I just wanted to say that THE LYRICS ARE BRILLIANT AAAAAHHHH but I found no place to share my passion so I tried to make this thread a week later. :defeated:

Like, seriously, the way she used words, so many different words, was so clever, I don’t think she has ever found back to that ever since BTD? I love this album, from the sound to the melodies and the storytelling! :legend:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Not this heteronormative trash song. The Rick Nowels version actually makes it slightly enjoyable tho!!

I love the production on BTD but this song just didn't work with Emile's production IMO

I always wonder what other songs were specifically made for this project.

And which unreleased songs were considered or produced, such as a possible Haynie production of Damn You and Hollywood's Dead.

There was different sampler albums released by her label to the press with some songs like Live or Die, Marilyn Monroe, Driving in Cars with Boys, Take Me to Paris, and I think Are You Ready was at one time released on a sampler

I agree with this statement :hooker:

8nl2OpX.png