Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

Today marks 10 entire years of being a Lana fan for me. It was instant. I know the exact date because I discovered her through spillitnow.com where the user who made this cover art posted it in a fan art thread and I commented on July 2 2011.

Lana-Del-Rey.jpg

I remember the absolute wonder and mystery I would scour obscure corners of the internet looking for more info and photos of this artist. Both of which seemed to be so few and far between – no wikipedia page, I remember the first source I found a lot of Lana content was fuckyeahlanadelrey.tumblr.com, the first fanpage. I had never been so fascinated by someone. I was starting to really discover music for myself for the first time and I thought – cool I can really ride for this indie underground artist. That didn't last long :deadbanana:This was before Spotify radio which I owe a lot of my musical obsessions to... Lana as been such a vessel for creative output for me for 10 whole years. Her artistry her stubbornness her world she has always so firmly stood in until people were inevitably drawn into it. I really admire her convictions when it comes to her art. I'm so grateful I got to experience her public career trajectory having been so invested from the beginning of it. I know there are a few other members around from that time and it's really funny to me how we've been coexisting in this digital space for 10 years from spillitnow to lanadelrey.fm to lanaboards – which i'm always so surprised at how old actually is. 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I’ll never get over this album… full of timeless classics. Officially over 400 weeks on the Billboard Top 200. I’m listening to it in full to celebrate, and after all these years it’s still such a unique & beautiful, stunning debut album. I can’t get over it. :trisha:

On 7/2/2021 at 5:45 AM, Trash Magic said:

Today marks 10 entire years of being a Lana fan for me. It was instant. I know the exact date because I discovered her through spillitnow.com where the user who made this cover art posted it in a fan art thread and I commented on July 2 2011.

Lana-Del-Rey.jpg

I remember the absolute wonder and mystery I would scour obscure corners of the internet looking for more info and photos of this artist. Both of which seemed to be so few and far between – no wikipedia page, I remember the first source I found a lot of Lana content was fuckyeahlanadelrey.tumblr.com, the first fanpage. I had never been so fascinated by someone. I was starting to really discover music for myself for the first time and I thought – cool I can really ride for this indie underground artist. That didn't last long :deadbanana:This was before Spotify radio which I owe a lot of my musical obsessions to... Lana as been such a vessel for creative output for me for 10 whole years. Her artistry her stubbornness her world she has always so firmly stood in until people were inevitably drawn into it. I really admire her convictions when it comes to her art. I'm so grateful I got to experience her public career trajectory having been so invested from the beginning of it. I know there are a few other members around from that time and it's really funny to me how we've been coexisting in this digital space for 10 years from spillitnow to lanadelrey.fm to lanaboards – which i'm always so surprised at how old actually is. 

Shout out to another OG member… & thanks for so many amazing album covers & photo edits over the years! I’m probably still using some of them in my iTunes.  :heart:

It truly was a beautiful time on the internet, discovering her mysterious persona & searching the depths of mp3 websites for random unreleased songs. I honestly have BTD (the song / music video + the album) to thank for changing my life in regards to this site… I’ve never been a very big fan of regular social media sites, but in this little online community I have always felt so comfortable & at home. I remember doing tinychat parties & all sorts of small events here with the tiny lil community we used to be in the early stages of her career. The hype of BTD being released at that time when we knew so little about Lana.. can never be recreated and I’m so grateful to have been apart of this site since the beginning. :krylie:

14417469274.gif

49 minutes ago, Hundred Dollar Bill said:

I’ll never get over this album… full of timeless classics. Officially over 400 weeks on the Billboard Top 200. I’m listening to it in full to celebrate, and after all these years it’s still such a unique & beautiful, stunning debut album. I can’t get over it. :trisha:

Shout out to another OG member… & thanks for so many amazing album covers & photo edits over the years! I’m probably still using some of them in my iTunes.  :heart:

It truly was a beautiful time on the internet, discovering her mysterious persona & searching the depths of mp3 websites for random unreleased songs. I honestly have BTD (the song / music video + the album) to thank for changing my life in regards to this site… I’ve never been a very big fan of regular social media sites, but in this little online community I have always felt so comfortable & at home. I remember doing tinychat parties & all sorts of small events here with the tiny lil community we used to be in the early stages of her career. The hype of BTD being released at that time when we knew so little about Lana.. can never be recreated and I’m so grateful to have been apart of this site since the beginning. :krylie:

It's so easy to get in my feelings when thinking about this era. And it feels great that my love for Lana isn't hinging on nostalgia because the music has mostly objectively gotten better as the albums keep coming. There will never be another artist to debut in the way she did. She was on the cusp of everything re: social media and digital marketing etc. The irony being today that everything is SO painfully contrived and focus-grouped the way an artist is marketed and she was labelled a phoney from the get go when it couldn't have been further from the truth... Her debut was really such a lightning in a bottle moment. Stars aligning for her after years of total dedication putting in the work to be a true artist and grinding. And so many artefacts and relics of her storied past to uncover on an internet still in its relative infancy... :blanche7: Literal fucking magic. Biopic when???

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Been listening to this album on repeat for the past few days, I love it even more than before:wub: Personally, it seems like such a great summery record too!

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

Here's my ranking lately. 

Key

Top God tier trinity

Honourable Mention trinity

Center-average trinity

Good songs I don't always vibe with trinity

Songs that I'm ok with forgetting trinity

1. Without You
  2. Million Dollar Man
  3. This is What Makes Us Girls
  4. Off to the Races
  5. Lucky Ones
  6. Dark Paradise
  7. Summertime Sadness
  8. Lolita
  9. Born to Die
  10. National Anthem
  11. Blue Jeans
  12. Carmen
  13. Diet Mountain Dew
  14. Video Games
  15. Radio

I've recently cried listening to the whole album, specifically Dark Paradise, Million Dollar Man, Summertime Sadness, Without You, Lucky Ones

12 minutes ago, The Siren said:

I'm bored so I'll copy you

Top God tier trinity

Center-average trinity

1. Off to the Races
  2. Born to Die
  3. Carmen
  4. Diet Mountain Dew
  5. Blue Jeans
  6. National Anthem
  7. Video Games
  8. Summertime Sadness
  9. Lolita
  10. Radio
  11. Million Dollar Man
  12. Without You
  13. Dark Paradise
  14. This is What Makes Us Girls
  15. Lucky Ones

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

16 hours ago, The Siren said:

Key

Top God tier trinity

Center-average trinity

1. Without You
  2. Million Dollar Man
  4. Off to the Races
  5. Lucky Ones
  6. Dark Paradise
  7. Summertime Sadness
  8. Lolita
  9. Born to Die
  10. National Anthem
  11. Blue Jeans
  12. Carmen
  13. Diet Mountain Dew
  14. Video Games
  15. Radio

I've recently cried listening to the whole album, specifically Dark Paradise, Million Dollar Man, Summertime Sadness, Without You, Lucky Ones

It's only been 16 hours and there's ready a change ??

1. Without You
  2. Million Dollar Man
  4. Dark Paradise
  5. Lucky Ones
  6. Off to the Races
  7. Summertime Sadness
  8. Born to Die
  9. Blue Jeans
  10. Lolita
  11. National Anthem
  12. Carmen
  13. Diet Mountain Dew
  14. Video Games
  15. Radio

Hello!

Hopefully someone can answer this and thank you in advance if so! 

I'm slowly but surely building up my Lana collection for all variants of CDs, cassettes, and of course vinyls. For BTD, I have the standard and deluxe black vinyl, BTD red Target vinyl, Paradise standard black vinyl, and Paradise deluxe package vinyl that also holds BTD deluxe vinyl with the gold lettering. I have none of the PDs though. Can anyone confirm which PDs exist for BTD and that are official releases? I know there is an album vinyl and several single PDs, but I'm not sure how many single PDs and for which songs?

On 9/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, Distantly said:

Hello!

I'm slowly but surely building up my Lana collection for all variants of CDs, cassettes, and of course vinyls. For BTD, I have the standard and deluxe black vinyl, BTD red Target vinyl, Paradise standard black vinyl, and Paradise deluxe package vinyl that also holds BTD deluxe vinyl with the gold lettering. I have none of the PDs though. Can anyone confirm which PDs exist for BTD and that are official releases? I know there is an album vinyl and several single PDs, but I'm not sure how many single PDs and for which songs?

PDs?

For my own question, the Lana Wikia is a mess and idk whick demos are from which year :deadbanana:

On 9/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, Distantly said:

Hello!

I recommend Discogs. A couple years ago I attempted to put together a collectors guide, and that’s where I got my info of the physical releases

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

On 7/2/2021 at 6:45 AM, Trash Magic said:

Lana-Del-Rey.jpg

yessss came here to say this too. 

I was in 8th grade in 2011 when my friend introduced me to AKA (random but- it was released on my birthday in 2010. I wish I'd known about her then) 

My friend from school downloaded it onto my ipod for or me and I was obsessed. I fell into depression and kinda just stopped listening to music or doing much of anything shortly after.
I dropped out as a freshman in highschool due to issues in my home so I started pulling all nighters out of boredom, just browsing tumblr and what not.. at like 3am one night I heard the start of Video Games on MTV jams coming from my tv. I was instantly infatuated with the song, totally mind blown by the video and of course DYING to know more about Lana and hear more. I couldn't stop thinking about Video Games for days. I listened to AKA again and appreciated it more than ever. I can't remember exactly when I (or we) started finding all the unreleased material but when I did I was in heaven. I spent hours downloading them to my ipod and then my iphone 3.  I still can't believe we have such a huge collection of songs. I feel so lucky for that.

My bestfriend and I were acting insane during those years because we had no parental guidance so as you can imagine we related to the Lizzy and BTD era so much. Its always frustrating me when people hate on the lyrics because for me they were relatable. 

I was never on Lanaboards back then.. I looked around but never made an account because I didn't always have access to wifi. Its amazing to go back to 2012 on these threads and read everything. It makes me feel like a kid again in the best way possible :') 

10 hours ago, The Siren said:

PDs?

For my own question, the Lana Wikia is a mess and idk whick demos are from which year :deadbanana:

Picture discs lol

10 hours ago, That Venice Bitch said:

I recommend Discogs. A couple years ago I attempted to put together a collectors guide, and that’s where I got my info of the physical releases

Thank you!! That’s actually what I did and found out there are 5 total. 

one for the album and four singles. The four singles being: BTD, Video Games / Blue Jeans, Blue Jeans / Carmen, and National Anthem.