Sign in to follow this  
Beautiful Loser

Ex-Mando Diao members talk about meeting Lana

The Swedish rock and pop culture journalist I'm following strikes again! This time, he invited ex-Mando Diao band mates Gustaf and Viktor Norén to his home to record his podcast "Hemma hos Strage" (something like "At Strage's place") and I'm glad he did because I thought about their meeting and that live performance yesterday, haha. Strage (the journalist) is also a hardcore Lana fan so I'm very glad he didn't forget to ask them about Lana.

I remember typing down what Father John Misty said about Lana when he was interviewed for the same podcast, but I can't find that post anywhere now. I think it was in a thread that was something like "celebs mentioning Lana"? Anyway. I can't tell which of the brothers are Gustaf and who's Viktor, so I'll just name the different voices 1 and 2 below. This is what the Norén brothers had to say about Lana:

----------------------------------------------------

(starts at 53:54) https://hemmahosstrage.se/avsnitt/2020/4/16/gustaf-amp-viktor-norn-om-magi-och-musik

Strage: Speaking of collaborations with famous people, ten years ago, Mando Diao had an unplugged concert in Germany and you invited a then completely unknown American singer who called herself Lana Del Rey. She sang your song "Chet Baker" and then she was the backup singer for "Gloria". I'm a huge Lana Del Rey fan so I just have to ask, how was she back then?

Norén 1: She was very kind. She was at Skärmarbrink (suburban area in Stockholm) and jammed with us in our studio.

Strage: Really??

Norén 1: Ye- No, not Skärmarbrink, where was it...? That industrial area over at...? Ah, whatever. But yeah, we had a pizza at the pizza restaurant and we were... But the sick thing is, do you know who would've played with us initially?

Strage: No?
Norén 1: Nicki Minaj. I had discovered Nicki Minaj like three weeks later on MySpace. Seriously. And she was like a MySpace artist then, manga, Japan inspired, you know. And I really liked Nicki Minaj. She had been included in a mixtape with Lil Wayne which I had heard, because I listened to like only Lil Wayne mixtapes back then, which was like a good source (of inspiration?) back in 2016... Then we contacted her and she was like "absolutely, how exciting, Europe!" and then it didn't work out with the travelling. "It'll be Lana Del Rey." "Mm, okay..."

Strage: But Lana ate pizza at Skärmarbrink?

Norén 1: Noo, not Skärmarbrink, what's that place called..?

Norén 2: Anyway, it's an industrial area outside of Stockholm.

Norén 1: What's it called, Tomte..?

Strage: What kind of pizza did she have?

Norén 1: I think we shared, bought several ones and cut them to slices and so. But yeah, she was very kind and very humble, and the second time I met her, she sat in Marilyn Manson's lap.

Strage: *chuckles*

Norén 1: And she was- And I was like "Hiii, Lana, how's it going, it's been some time!", "Hiii, how are you!", "Ah, nice!", and she honestly sat there in Marilyn Manson's lap!

Strage: Where was this?

Norén 1: In Germany for some gala. And then, "blah blah blah", "We'll be going over there and then...", "Okay, but I think I'll hang out with this guy". And he just stood there and watched and really experienced some competition, like, "some dude comes here and talks to my girl?!". And then she left with his crew and with him in a limousine, so much like a rock star.

Strage: And you stood there?

Norén 1: No, yeah, well, for me it was like... "Hi, Linda!", "Hae, how nice, how are ya?", "Ya, it's nice, how are you?", "Okay, nice", "Oh, so you're hanging out with Eddie?", "Ye", "Cool".

Norén 2: Another funny thing is that Farao, the drag queen from Borlänge, is incredibly similar in looks to Marilyn Manson! So it could've been Farao's lap she was sitting in, because he used to reserve tables at restaurants in London as "Marilyn Manson" and go.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

#tbt to that rape fantasy video Lana did with Eli Roth posted by that Nazi-named video production company Marilyn Manson was involved with

Edit: Assuming this was the event Mando Diao's talking about:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lana-del-rey-marilyn-manson_n_1373682

Photos of them hanging out after the event:

o-LANA-DEL-REY-MARILYN-MANSON-570.jpg

o-LANA-DEL-REY-MARILYN-MANSON_2-570.jpg

And never forget this surreal image:

tumblr_m1bm5mKGKc1qczeeoo1_500-2.jpg

Edited by evilentity

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I don't know Swedish, but I know just enough Danish, which is kinda similar, to listen and follow along with the translation by @clampigirl. I just had to listen to get the flavor of it. I was not disappointed.

I should probably add that the "So you're with Eddie?" was said more like "So you're hanging out with Eddie?" not with as in "dating". Just to be clear.

... I should probably edit that to my translation, one second.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Just out of curiosity, what did the other brother say in the crosstalk when his brother was talking about Farao?

Norén 2: Another funny thing is that Farao, the drag queen from Borlänge, is incredibly similar in looks to Marilyn Manson!

Norén 1: Oh yeah, that Donna*, letting go of that bomb...!

Norén 2: So it could've been Farao's lap she was sitting in, because he used to reserve tables at restaurants in London as "Marilyn Manson" and go.

I have no idea what he meant lol, he seems to speak in incoherent sentences or like his mind is quicker than his mouth

* Donna as in a really hawt lady

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I remember typing down what Father John Misty said about Lana when he was interviewed for the same podcast, but I can't find that post anywhere now. I think it was in a thread that was something like "celebs mentioning Lana"?

Here is that post.

Lana and Marilyn were cute together the clash of aesthetic totally fit her 2012 demeanor... I miss it

I'd argue it wasn't a clash at all.