takeitdoen

Queer Affinity for Lana del Rey - Why?

I don't choose someone because I'm gay or the singer stands behind it. I stan quality and Lana makes quality music that I like.

I understand this too - and the reverse also; just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm instantly a fan of Marina, L. Gaga, Kesha etc (I like songs from each but overall don't consider myself a fan).

generalisations don't help and can be offensive in my opinion... I think each one of us likes her for different reasons

This is a forum. I am not generalising, I'm asking why people personally experience this. 

I only partly agree. There are many LGBTQ fans, but definitely not the majority. The people I know who listen to her music are 90% straight men or women. She is appreciated for her quality music and especially her angelic voice. 

Great, yes you're totally right. I suppose I should rephrase some of the things I first posted - I suppose I am asking two questions:

1. Why do fans (gay or otherwise) personally enjoy Lana del Rey?
  2. Why is the stereotype of a Lana del Rey fan a gay male? See below for examples:

xNNEVcv.png

3lfQEhw.png

Are we sure though ? I agree the majority of her louder fans on social networks are LGBT+ . But are they a majority of her fans ? 

I don't know for you all guys but I am absolutely silent on social networks. My friends know I like Lana but that's it + my best friend (male) is a fan too, is straight, and does not tell the world about it. 

You make a good point! So, since I *don't* know the demographics of the fandom, I'll say that gays are often a more vocal or open majority. 

(Also, I can't find it now, but there was a demographics survey conducted on the forum a couple years back, which would be super interesting to take a second look at now!!)

o4qjp4j.png

You make a good point! So, since I *don't* know the demographics of the fandom, I'll say that gays are often a more vocal or open majority. 

(Also, I can't find it now, but there was a demographics survey conducted on the forum a couple years back, which would be super interesting to take a second look at now!!)

I recall we did another demographic survey a few month ago (I guess) but we never got the results if I'm not wrong  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

Are we sure though ? I agree the majority of her louder fans on social networks are LGBT+ . But are they a majority of her fans ? 

It is impossible to say, however the topic is about the following:

Lana del Rey's music is so good that anyone can be a fan. However, we know there are two stereotypes within the fandom

I edited the end of the topic to be more specific. 

I'm also interested in how people are rejecting her as a gay icon. More on this PLEASE.

3lfQEhw.png

I just really liked the style of music. And I happen to be bi. So i mean... nothing more than that. Her original 60s + hip hop style was cool and weird and different. And then ultraviolence only made me like her more. and then the rest... well, i’m stuck on her music so...

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/7873862/5-reasons-lana-del-rey-is-a-muse-to-gay-fans

Personally, I think she connects with people that are very sensitive, feeling everything a bit too much, and people that have struggled in their lives. And all LGBTQ+ people have struggled at some point, which makes me think it's the reason why some queer fans are attracted to her. 

Her lyrics are very honest: I guess this is what many love about her, independently of their sexuality. 

I think that the whole idea of her being "un-PC" in her early days (as a certain member loves to talk about) needs to be talked about cautiously and carefully and with a lot more nuance than often given to it, but I think it plays a role in why she attracted the demographic she did in the BTD and Paradise days that has been sustained with leaks from her Lizzy era since. There's that quote from a critic about her (earlier) stuff being desperate, shirt-tugging, "don't leave me" that the critic hated, and I definitely think it's there.

She presented love as an undying devotion with elements of desperation, doom, death etc. that really didn't fit into the zeitgeist at the time because of shifting discourses. The whole femme fatale themes of film noir and to some extent, the 80s (so a lot of the films and ideas she grew up with) weren't popular at the time. I think a big part of why so much of her *active* fanbase is LGBT people and women (and of course the overlap) is because she was a contemporary female artist singing about that destructive and obsessive love while no one else really was, and making it look (and sound) glamorous and sexy. For LGBT and/or girl teens and young adults, there were relatively little artists willing to explore that side of love that you feel so strongly, because (for good reasons) a lot of discourse about love and attraction has been critical. That's probably why there's a lot (a LOT) of overlap between Lana fans and people who want to uncritically enjoy things like Lolita (particularly the Lolita "aesthetic") and CMBYN. Lana gave people spaces for people to be desperate and completely devoted with BTD and Paradise, and then followed up with UV as one of the best break-up albums. Most of the diehard BTD and UV stans don't really like HM as much, as far as I've seen, and I think part of this is because HM is a lot less dramatic in its lyrics and themes and is where change started to happen.

I'd add some more about the reclamation of things like religion (e.g. Tropico) and power (e.g. the national anthem video) but eh.

I'm also interested in how people are rejecting her as a gay icon. More on this PLEASE.

Might be misunderstanding but her detachment from the fanbase is kind of unprecedented in the stan age. The whole "Lana hates us and that's okay" thing definitely contains a grain of truth. I think she has a very understandable disdain for a lot of her fanbase, because a lot of her fanbase have very little respect for her and so she's kind of broken away and doesn't share much of her life now. She doesn't hate her fanbase imo - she clearly likes Win Edwards, who despite all the jokes is in some ways the ideal fan from her pov; clearly adores her but respects her boundaries. A lot of people here see going to every show as weird and obsessive but she's had much worse and much more dangerous than that, which is probably why she doesn't really interact with her fans much unless she's got something to sell. This inactiveness inevitably gets caught up in the "Lana hates us" narrative though. 

I'd also say that her change in dress and habits put people off. She's not an Ariana or Taylor Swift in that her success drives her to want to do more and better. Her success made her wealthy and she grew out of the more dramatic narratives, maybe got some therapy and didn't need or want to peddle that type of thing anymore. She's a wealthy white woman living in California who goes to church with her friends, wants a couple of kids, dresses comfortably, (probably) wants a husband and, going by what Sean was, doesn't want that husband to be an artistic type, but more on the boring suburban dad side. AKA she's living a very normal and basic heteronormative life, just with a bunch of money. That added to the fact she never really comfortably embraced her LGBT fanbase is what is turning some people off imo, and with stan twitter culture this switch can be read into ad nauseam.

locals only

I understand this too - and the reverse also; just because I'm gay doesn't mean I'm instantly a fan of Marina, L. Gaga, Kesha etc (I like songs from each but overall don't consider myself a fan).

This is a forum. I am not generalising, I'm asking why people personally experience this. 

Great, yes you're totally right. I suppose I should rephrase some of the things I first posted - I suppose I am asking two questions:

1. Why do fans (gay or otherwise) personally enjoy Lana del Rey?
  2. Why is the stereotype of a Lana del Rey fan a gay male? See below for examples:

xNNEVcv.png

Why are all of my faves bottoms? And Taylor a virgin? :facepalm:

Mfhp.gif

first off, queer is such an ugly word :facepalm:

anyway Gaga said it best (in reference to her gay fans):

"they love sexual, strong women who speak their mind"

some people like to use queer because it highlights the community and doesn't push it in the shadows, if that makes sense? queer was once seen as (and still is seen as) a bad thing, now they're turning it into something to be proud of and not shy away from. saying you're queer can be an assertion of empowerment and pride for the individual, but a lot of people are not comfortable with using it, and that's okay and very understandable.

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

some people like to use queer because it highlights the community and doesn't push it in the shadows, if that makes sense? queer was once seen as (and still is seen as) a bad thing, now they're turning it into something to be proud of not and not shy away from. saying you're queer can be an assertion of empowerment and pride for the individual, but a lot of people are not comfortable with using it, and that's okay and very understandable.

Plus, I love using queer bc it's a great midpoint between rigid, overly-specific labels like gay, bi, etc. but it feels a lot less clinical than the LGBT+ acronym

o4qjp4j.png

um I'm not taking a jab at you (I actually like you). I'm just pointing out that if you presume the majority of lana's fans are gay men and young women, you're begging the question. And yes, some of the comments are full of generalisations as you can see. I think the question you're asking has become clearer after the edit. Personally, I'm attracted to her unique sound and used to be interested in her mysterious personality. I couldn't care less about the change in the themes her songs address over the years - I like her unreleased + btd songs  as much as I like songs from her latest album.

um I'm not taking a jab at you (I actually like you). I'm just pointing out that if you presume the majority of lana's fans are gay men and young women, you're begging the question. And yes, some of the comments are full of generalisations as you can see. I think the question you're asking has become clearer after the edit. Personally, I'm attracted to her unique sound and used to be interested in her mysterious personality. I couldn't care less about the change in the themes her songs address over the years - I like her unreleased + btd songs  as much as I like songs from her latest album.

That her fanbase has disproportionate amounts of women and LGBT fans is something that isn't really a new or radical idea though - obvs people will come at this from different perspectives but it's interesting to consider the overlaps of shared experiences of a lot of her fanbase and why that makes them relate to her

locals only

That her fanbase has disproportionate amounts of women and LGBT fans is something that isn't really a new or radical idea though - obvs people will come at this from different perspectives but it's interesting to consider the overlaps of shared experiences of a lot of her fanbase and why that makes them relate to her

I guess we can agree to disagree. Sharing experiences is always pleasant however :)

when I joined lanaboards I was very surprised by how many gay men there seemed to be in the fanbase. I was expecting mostly young girls who romanticize Lolita or say they have daddy issues, but I really like how many gay guys are here. I feel very comfortable around gay men, I feel safe here

This is such an interesting topic for me, I can only speak from own experience and perspective, Lana lives her life as she wants to and she’s prone to change ( as we know) but it creates a relatability and likeable personality that I personally relate to. She also sings about themes that a lot of the LGBTQ people relate to and I relate to personally. My favourite albums are Ultraviolence, NFR and honeymoon btw. There is nothing wrong with where she is going I think she is becoming more Lizzy every day which makes me happy that she finally is content at least, I’m sure another break up album is coming tho.

i like your ultra-violent swing :grinds:

There's this weird aspect of LGBT culture where gay men are preyed on at a young age, usually by older men, thus developing into some sort of worth issue.
I think most people who have experienced this flocked towards lana's music because of the correlation of the two. Lana acknowledging her objectification within the music, but also using it as a super power. I think we all dream about being that powerful

I mean this question could be asked of almost every female singer. She writes from a classically feminine perspective. Gays were particularly lured in during BTD because of the glamour and camp. And on top of that was the tragic and submissive angle. "Diva worship" has been a social and academic topic of discussion for years. I think Lana stood out when she debuted because it was around the time of female pop singers churning out empowering anthems, and she was the inverse of that. The gays love a strong woman but also identify with the passive and demure. And not passive and submissive in a "lol lana fans are bottoms" way. I mean it in a way of identifying with otherness. 

There are definitely other reasons for why she has a large gay following, but I think this specific facet stands out. 

Edited by JazzSingrCultLeadr

There's this weird aspect of LGBT culture where gay men are preyed on at a young age, usually by older men, thus developing into some sort of worth issue.

I think most people who have experienced this flocked towards lana's music because of the correlation of the two. Lana acknowledging her objectification within the music, but also using it as a super power. I think we all dream about being that powerful

wow that's a really good perspective. young gay men and young girls are definitely preyed on. so if some of us relate to this objectification that she portrays, would we really still listen to her? feeling like you can identify with an artist is very powerful, but i feel like hearing that same message over and over again can be harmful and might affirm the feelings of objectification. in a time of "empowering music", were there people that were forgotten about and some of us happened to be those people? maybe some artists sang empowering songs about only specific demographics and we couldn't find ourselves in there. i guess seeing someone like Lana be an outcast, but still powerful is what it boils down to. idk sorry if this sounds ignorant and dumb, i have troubling writing down my thoughts or even identifying them sometimes