Sign in to follow this  
americangothic

Why does NFR! sound not as 'loud' as her previous records?

I'm not an audio expert, but I've had noticed something about the mixing/mastering of the volume of 'Norman Fucking Rockwell!' (the album). For some reason, the volume sounds 'quieter' and 'lower' when comparing it to Born to Die or Ultraviolence. Hell, even Honeymoon, being a chiller and low-scale record sounds louder. I've bought the record on Itunes as well as the physical version to make sure it wasn't my headphones, radio or even my ears (lol).

Does anyone think similarly? Is it just me? Do anyone know how or where can I find a 'louder' version of the album? The other day I asked the same question on Reddit and the only answers I got where 'turn up the volume' lol.

well, there was a thing called a loudness war, maybe this will help?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Thanks for the quick reply! 

Actually, I tried once to increase/upscale the loudness with Audacity and it was a mess, hahaha. But then again, I have literally no knowledge on the topic jj

Thanks for the quick reply! 

Actually, I tried once to increase/upscale the loudness with Audacity and it was a mess, hahaha. But then again, I have literally no knowledge on the topic jj

i have limited knowledge, maybe @@PARADIXO would know more?

negAbhB.png

But for real, I'm by no means a sound engineer. I think I'm just an audiophile.

But, to me there's something kinda flat or muffled, and quite frankly, iffy about the overall sound quality of this album, like the record quality or mastering process gave this album this kind of flat/dry type of sound? I don't mean to beat a dead horse as I've made my point on several occasions in the pre and post release threads and even in the White Hot Forever/LDR7 thread, but I'm just not a fan of this type of sound. It's just kind of muffled and for a lack of a better word "cheap". I also think that for the most part the album cruelly lacks bass or beat to complement or create depth in sound, I don't know. It's very "off the shelf" there's not the same attention to detail sonically speaking. By all means, it's an alright album, but there's something just so beige, basic and/or simple about it, especially the production. Sorry, not sorry.

I feel like with her past records, especially the first three, there was a sense of intensity and grandeur in the sound? 'Born To Die' and 'Paradise' had that crisp/clear type of sound on each tracks, some say it's overproduced, and I could agree to that to a certain extent, but it just sounded like a really slick and clean pop record.

'Ultraviolence' was very atmospheric, I am a fan of the raw type of sound, I feel like the instrumentation on the album is intricate, intense and superb. I love that, and this is according to both Dan and Lana, the songs were recorded with a live band. Someone said in the LDR7 thread recently that it's once-in-a-lifetime record and I very much agree with that.

'Honeymoon' has got to be her most lush album as far as production goes. There's something just really beautiful and balanced, yet again intricate, about the way the album sounds, it's like the perfect mix of a classical/movie score type of sound and modern trap beats? It's just very beautiful, lush, elegant and cinematic.

I won't really get into how I feel about 'Lust for Life' as I think that the album is just kind of all over the place artistically speaking, but for the most part even the songs I don't like I think as far as audio goes, they sound good. But I was not a fan of how the trap beats were just overused here, kinda cheapened the whole experience. There are highs and lows on the album, but the songs I really like on there, they sound great.

So yeah, and this is very personal, I'm just not a fan of the so called 'NFR' sound.

As much as I think @ 's contribution was fair; music can lack beats or bass and still sound big or loud. To me, the only reason it sounds so quiet is because, well, 1. it's produced in a way so it sounds quiet and has space, 2. it's simply low. the whole master has "low volume" compared to her other records. and that's probably lana's choice alongside engineer laura sisk.

As much as I think @MXDH contribution was fair; music can lack beats or bass and still sound big or loud. To me, the only reason it sounds so quiet is because, well, 1. it's produced in a way so it sounds quiet and has space, 2. it's simply low. the whole master has "low volume" compared to her other records. and that's probably Lana's choice alongside engineer Laura Sisk.

Thanks, Paradixo.

I just feel like at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preferences and I'm just not a fan of the "'NFR!'sound", just not my cup of tea I guess. Might be too extreme to call the album "cheap", but that's kind of how I felt listening to the album multiple times even on FLAC.

I hope they switch things a little for the next record. Like she goes back to something similar to her earlier albums, sonically.

Thanks, Paradixo.

I just feel like at the end of the day it all comes down to personal preferences and I'm just not a fan of the "'NFR!'sound", just not my cup of tea I guess. Might be too extreme to call the album "cheap", but that's kind of how I felt listening to the album multiple times even on FLAC.

I hope they switch things a little for the next record.

I'm sure, considering Lana's newfound angst, WHF will be richer in sound and will have more depth (but still in LDR-Jack fashion)

am i the only one who thinks Lana's entire discography (at least on streaming) sounds more quiet than other albums and artists i listen to? idk i might be crazy but i think even ultraviolence sounds a bit quiet to me.

giphy.gif

When I first listened to "The next best american record" i was thinking... it should be way louder lmao. the vocals on that track have a weird quality sound to them too. still enjoy tf out of it though

Idk if this is relevant, but when it comes to vinyl copies, I find Honeymoon is insanely quiet compared to most other albums. Disappointing too because it means it’s also her album with the most surface noise. I haven’t really noticed it with NFR yet. Also, Ultraviolence was always a strangely loud record, always have to turn my speakers down when putting it on. I’ll have to start paying closer attention to how loud NFR is compared to other albums so I have some useful feedback.

Idk maybe also compare to other albums Jack has produced. Didn’t he get some flack for TS albums being mixed too loud or something? Maybe he actively tries to make albums quieter now, idk.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

am i the only one who thinks Lana's entire discography (at least on streaming) sounds more quiet than other albums and artists i listen to? idk i might be crazy but i think even ultraviolence sounds a bit quiet to me.

yes! on shuffle in my car lana's songs have to be played at a volume 5-10 higher than other artists. it's weird

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

Idk maybe also compare to other albums Jack has produced. Didn’t he get some flack for TS albums being mixed too loud or something? Maybe he actively tries to make albums quieter now, idk.

1989 is not as loud as Reputation.

Maybe it has to do with the instruments they use. Maybe they used a keyboard and not a grand piano.

Mfhp.gif

I think it was simply intended to make the record a bit... more intimate. And it worked really well

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole