YUNGATA

Lanaboards Demographics Survey 2020 (Expressions of interest)

Hi all,

I've wanted to do this for a while and since my uni semester is wrapping up and I'm sick with nothing else to do I thought it would be a good time to get started. A quick FAQ:

What the hell is this?

A demographics survey is a way to find out information about the userbase here at lanaboards.com. Essentially, who are you as a lana fan, outside of being a lana fan and is there any overlap between us outside of our mutual love (and sometimes hate) of Lana Del Rey. The type of information this survey will seek to find out are: age, sex, gender, location, political stance, favourite lana albums, favourite lana singles etc.

Is this compulsory?

Absolutely not! This is purely out of interest and no one is obliged to fill out anything. However, participation would be greatly appreciated as it gives a more accurate representation of the forum. Also I can't compensate anyone for participating, this b poor as hell.

I'm interested! Where's the survey?

The purpose of this thread right now is to figure out the logistics of how to do this. Last time I did this I used surveymonkey and it was frankly a nightmare trying to collate all the data once the survey was filled out. There's also limits on how many responses can be recorded before a premium account was needed.

I want to know if you have any alternate suggestions of websites to use. So far I was thinking of using Google Forms. The problem with this is that it requires a gmail account to fill out, however I will not have access to the email address you use to complete the survey, it's all anonymous. Is this something that would deter you from completing the survey? I'm open to other (preferably free) options and want to hear your thoughts. 

Here is the current list of questions I was thinking of using, but please suggest more in this thread! Please try and keep them either related to demographics or Lana though. Also nothing lewd thanks  :creep: 

1. How old are you?

2. What is your gender?

3. What is your sexual orientation?

4. What country were you born in?

5. What country do you currently reside in?

6. Please describe your race/ethnicity

7. What religion do you identify with?

8. Politically, where do you stand?

9. Favourite Lana Del Rey album/EP?

10. Favourite Lana Del Rey Single?

11. Favourite Lana Del Rey music video?

12. Favourite producer Lana has worked with?

Last time I framed these questions with preset answers and an "other (please describe)" option. Should I continue with this format or leave them all open ended? The issue with them being open ended is that it can make it harder to collate into a graph as answers can vary greatly. On the flip side, the benefit of open ended questions is that it allows for broader range of answers that accurately describe peoples lived experiences.

All these questions would be optional and you are free to skip anything you are not comfortable answering. 

If you're interested in previous results here is the 2016 survey data

So please, suggest some further questions that you would like know  :hooker: If you see a question suggested that you want included please "like" the post so I have an indication of what you want to know. I don't want the survey to be too long so people don't feel like it's a drag to complete, and also because I don't want to make like 70 graphs  :creep:

Once I have a good idea of what to include I'll create the survey and put the link in a new thread. Cheers!

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Was gonna suggest surveymonkey but I get how premium might not be an option..

This sounds great.. I think it'd be a real important question to add how users view Lana/ how committed/immersed they are as a fan. What does being a fan of hers mean to said user and so on.. maybe it could range from fan of the music, but iffy on views etc. stan to casual listener, that sorta thing? 

Also, that could trail off in a ways like, what brought you to the forum: to discuss n "meet" others who like Lana, find out Lana news/unreleased etc. and any other reasons that might bring a person here. It could better help direct users to navigate thru the forum more efficiently(?) 

Is the study going to be conducted survey style w more multiple choice and close-ended, or more open-ended w free answer questions? 

Also bc I love reading these sorts of things, are you going to basically have the data in report fashion from the abstract all the way to the discussion?

UV/Honeymoon

Last time I framed these questions with preset answers and an "other (please describe)" option. Should I continue with this format or leave them all open ended? The issue with them being open ended is that it can make it harder to collate into a graph as answers can vary greatly. On the flip side, the benefit of open ended questions is that it allows for broader range of answers that accurately describe peoples lived experiences.

I think questions like the race/ethnicity one should be kept as preset answers, in the older survey there's answers like 'lebeanse', 'palestinian' and 'middle eastern' when both countries are part of the middle east. They're also all in asia which was another answer, along with 'east asia' and 'india'. Maybe keep the answers to just race, or options like middle eastern, south asian, east asian and central asian to prevent varying answers. also maybe including the caribbean for the black option for those who don't come from africa? 

Was gonna suggest surveymonkey but I get how premium might not be an option..

This sounds great.. I think it'd be a real important question to add how users view Lana/ how committed/immersed they are as a fan. What does being a fan of hers mean to said user and so on.. maybe it could range from fan of the music, but iffy on views etc. stan to casual listener, that sorta thing? 

Also, that could trail off in a ways like, what brought you to the forum: to discuss n "meet" others who like Lana, find out Lana news/unreleased etc. and any other reasons that might bring a person here. It could better help direct users to navigate thru the forum more efficiently(?) 

Is the study going to be conducted survey style w more multiple choice and close-ended, or more open-ended w free answer questions? 

Also bc I love reading these sorts of things, are you going to basically have the data in report fashion from the abstract all the way to the discussion?

I was thinking of having it more sort of statistics/close ended but that's why I wanted to have this thread, to see how you all wanted the data presented. I'm open to having more discussion focussed/open ended questions and including those responses in the final results. I'm probably not going to do a full report tho tbh :eek:

I think questions like the race/ethnicity one should be kept as preset answers, in the older survey there's answers like 'lebeanse', 'palestinian' and 'middle eastern' when both countries are part of the middle east. They're also all in asia which was another answer, along with 'east asia' and 'india'. Maybe keep the answers to just race, or options like middle eastern, south asian, east asian and central asian to prevent varying answers. also maybe including the caribbean for the black option for those who don't come from africa? 

Yeah this is definitely something I wanted feedback on and to improve on from the last survey. Last time I had preset options and an "other: please describe" option which a lot of people used. I found it kind of difficult to collate data for that part of the survey because I wanted to be respectful of how everyone self-identified, but it ended up making a lot of the data overlap and some of the answers seem a bit obsolete for lack of a better word. Definitely want to hear other peoples thoughts on this too. 

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

What about adding questions like "What's your favorite collaboration?" and something like "what's the adjective that you would use to describe Lana that's also the main reason why you're a fan?"

Idk I think the latter would be really interesting :ohno:

✧・゚:* ヽ(*・ω・)ノ*:・゚✧

I'm interested in the intersectionality of some of these questions. Like I'd love for a way to see how many users are lesbian women, how many of the gay men are white vs. POC, etc. etc.

Would also be kinda morbidly curious how people view the recent Instagram controversy though that could probably be done in a regular thread poll and I also sorta don't want to know how many of you are terrible people thought that shit was acceptable.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Would be interesting to know how long some peeps have been fans of Lana. I know there has to be some OG Lana fans on this forum.

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

This is something I am extremely interested in as I think I may be in quite a unique demographic on this board.

The occupation of respondents might be an interesting question?

yeah tbh i'd make as many preset options as possible because last time we had so many things doubling (religion: catholicism, protestantism but also christian; people putting "europe" as their country etc."

i'd also lowkey help setting it up because making 298 different presets might be a bit much for one person but i'd rather have it be specific than messy again (as we don't do these often) to make it as accurate as possible.

i76mrxw.png