TRENCH

Black Lives Matter 2020 Megathread

Is anyone keeping up with what's happening in Seattle?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/us/seattle-autonomous-zone.html

I'm eager to read more after reading this article. I just finished reading a book about LSD and the 60's and it feels like there are so many parallels to Haight Ashbury and the Human Be-In happening today!

Also does anybody have any reading suggestions? I'm seeing a lot of the same ones and the books are strangely so hard to come by online especially for the UK. There are so many sketchy book sellers with poor ratings. I recently read Chasing The Scream and I was so shocked at the stories of Harry Anslinger and the racist origins of the war on drugs and it made total sense. The stories about how police and corrections officers neglect and abuse prisoners etc and how they ALWAYS get off with no consequences... Just appalling.

I also read The Great Deluge about Hurricane Katrina last year and it revealed in such detail about how it was a political disaster and the residents of Louisiana and surrounding states were treated as second-class citizens and relief efforts were so delayed and shoddy because they were predominately Black. I hadn't really known this as from outside the US it was just covered as some unavoidable natural disaster.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I'm eager to read more after reading this article. I just finished reading a book about LSD and the 60's and it feels like there are so many parallels to Haight Ashbury and the Human Be-In happening today!

Also does anybody have any reading suggestions? I'm seeing a lot of the same ones and the books are strangely so hard to come by online especially for the UK. There are so many sketchy book sellers with poor ratings. I recently read Chasing The Scream and I was so shocked at the stories of Harry Anslinger and the racist origins of the war on drugs and it made total sense. The stories about how police and corrections officers neglect and abuse prisoners etc and how they ALWAYS get off with no consequences... Just appalling.

I also read The Great Deluge about Hurricane Katrina last year and it revealed in such detail about how it was a political disaster and the residents of Louisiana and surrounding states were treated as second-class citizens and relief efforts were so delayed and shoddy because they were predominately Black. I hadn't really known this as from outside the US it was just covered as some unavoidable natural disaster.

I have these books on my reading list but i've yet to read them because i've been busy with school work  :facepalm:

• why i'm no longer talking to white people about race by reni eddo-lodge, this is available on audible. i've also just seen that this book has broken the book chart record amid the protests
  • white fragility by robin diangelo, also on audible
  • can we talk about race? by beverly daniel tatum
  • a people's history of the united states by howard zinn, i've seen this recommended A LOT and need to read it asap

I have these books on my reading list but i've yet to read them because i've been busy with school work  :facepalm:

• why i'm no longer talking to white people about race by reni eddo-lodge, this is available on audible. i've also just seen that this book has broken the book chart record amid the protests
  • white fragility by robin diangelo, also on audible
  • can we talk about race? by beverly daniel tatum
  • a people's history of the united states by howard zinn, i've seen this recommended A LOT and need to read it asap

Cool thanks I hadn't thought about audiobooks I'll try and find a free one. I really want to read The New Jim Crow but I can only find it in pdf and I don't want to read an entire book from my phone screen. I think I'll just end up paying a super high price for the book

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I think the protests and anger needs to be redirected into getting people to vote on 3rd Nov. Nobody is getting anywhere with Trump and it will just turn to more deaths.

Voting will not and has not changed anything. This has been happening for decades, with no change.

My reading suggestions:

1. To Die For The People: The Writings of Huey P. Newton

2. The Huey P. Newton Reader

3. Defying the Tomb by Kevin "Rashid" Johnson

4. Stolen Black Labor: The Political Economy of Domestic Colonialism by Omali Yeshitela

5. Marxism, Reparations, and the Black Freedom Struggle

All are oriented towards communism, but they're all good even for someone who isn't a communist to read.

giphy.gif

Voting will not and has not changed anything. This has been happening for decades, with no change.

My reading suggestions:

4. Stolen Black Labor: The Political Economy of Domestic Colonialism by Omali Yeshitela

All are oriented towards communism, but they're all good even for someone who isn't a communist to read.

I will check these books and I also agree with you about voting, people always come out saying  "please vote" etc but when has it ever worked or done anything, every now and again little changes are made but most likely were going to be made regardless of who was "in power" at the time because society just comes to terms that it has to happen so it doesn't really have anything to do with who people voted for.

If the whole system is set up and runs within certain rules then whoever you vote for just works within the same system and rules then nothing different will happen. Trump is probably the best evidence of that so far, I don't think he could care less about politics and probably has no affiliation to anyone he just likes being famous. So if anyone was going to make big changes it would have been him since he doesn't really care but even he has done nothing.

My reading suggestions:

Trumps is breeding racism and brutality and this is why voting is important. Change needs to come at the political level, otherwise what is the point of protests? We won’t have a CHANCE at change with trump in power. I’m not saying Biden will magically wipe away racism, it’s a systemic problem that will take decades of work, but we sure as hell stand a better chance with him in charge rather then Trump the mascot for racist right extremists.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Kudos to the UK BLM movement for voicing their support of Palestine.

giphy.gif

anybody know if theres a database/website where i can search for BLM or anti-ICE protests in my area? i can search on twitter but idk how legit these are or if they're fake protests started by cops for them to just arrest whoever shows up..

A couple months ago, my meme collective worked on getting a van with a video display on the side. I was on the outskirts of this so didn't have much to do with how they would get this done or the financials, but they did end up getting it done. The point of the van was to show clips of police being pigs and to drive it around heavily policed areas. That way, their crime was right in front of their face, they couldn't hide from it. I don't think it is the most effective approach, but all new ideas will seem crazy or even useless at first. On the back of the van, there was a venmo that you could scan and it would link to a Black Trans organization. I'll link videos so you can have a better idea

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

Jacob Blake has become the latest victim of police brutality, last night in Wisconsin. He was shot by police after "turning his back to the officers" who had pulled him over. He was unarmed. No news on why he was pulled over. He is in critical condition as of this morning. I will not post the video of the shooting, but it is being shared on many news websites.

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

5 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

Jacob Blake has become the latest victim of police brutality, last night in Wisconsin. He was shot by police after "turning his back to the officers" who had turned him over. No news on why he was pulled over. He is in critical condition as of this morning. I will not post the video of the shooting, but it is being shared on many news websites.

he was shot 7 times by police and he was unarmed. disgusting.

Derek Chauvin found guilty on all 3 charges.

Great, hopefully stuck in a cell on his own for the rest of his days and beaten to death at the first chance someone gets.

thank god. sometimes the justice system does its job. this is one of those times. i just hope this will bring george floyd’s family some peace ❤️ and to my black brothers, sisters, and nonbinary pals, i hope this will alleviate some of the pain and hurt you've been carrying with you, or at least encourage you. we have to believe in a better world. it's not easy to fight for change but it is necessary. this is just a small step towards a more kind and just world.

"you have to act as if it were possible to radically transform the world. and you have to do it all the time." - angela davis

He can still appeal to have his sentence reduced, or for a retrial to take place, for various things that happened in the trial.

BUT , this is a historical moment for breaking down the blue wall of immunity.

ITS TIME TO REIMAGINE POLICING & LAW ENFORCEMENT TRAINING!!!!!

SAY HIS FUCKING NAME!