TRENCH

Black Lives Matter 2020 Megathread

Weird how it's the same probably in every country as well.

Thats the school rankings in my country https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/4020266/scotland-secondary-schools-results-chart-worst-best-glasgow-edinburgh/ and I went to school ranked 310 out of 339 and there was a lot of minorities who were refugees etc in my school but my cousin went to school 12 out of 339 and there was like no minorities in his school even though we lived like 200-300 meters away from each other almost the same street he went to one of the best and I went to one of the worst schools in the whole country and pretty much all the minorities went to my school. Makes sense since they move refugees into poor areas so they end up in all the worst schools.

So apparently Sean's Police Department is still treating policing like a fucking reality TV show after the mayor just met with activists the other day and agreed to cancel the contract with Live PD.

EZnTlWKX0AAA3fY.png

Speaking of K-pop stans, anyone know any?

This is fucking despicable and tbh if Lana ever starts publicly associating or dating him again etc I really have to unstan... like POLICING IS NOT FOR PROFIT AND ENTERTAINMENT YOUR JOB IS LITERALLY TO PROTECT AND SERVE this disgusts me

5.11.14 // 9.20.14 // 6.11.15 // 6.13.15 // 6.14.15 // 1.26.18 // 9.21.19

This was a really great n concise informational video. Honestly, just had no idea that schools were funded partially on property taxes, which yeah would really affect the quality of schools, especially of redlining. 

I know that the bank's sort of like a separate entity that's kinda detached from the government (as well as have a different type of reach, economy, foreign ties etc.) , so, is there any kind of regulation that the government can enforce to get rid of that? 

This is fucking despicable and tbh if Lana ever starts publicly associating or dating him again etc I really have to unstan... like POLICING IS NOT FOR PROFIT AND ENTERTAINMENT YOUR JOB IS LITERALLY TO PROTECT AND SERVE this disgusts me

never really understood how watching people get caught etc. was for the purpose of entertainment yeah. I mean I guess, justice? but most of the time it's kinda brutal.. 

but then again, watching it's sorta like good for understanding protocols and methods, but under the guise of a show, it'd be weird to realize/find out if footage was edited a certain way etc. 

last thing, i mean thru the lens of love we don't really know, but jeez no one can deny that it's even messier than before. genuinely now wondering how policemen managed to get into the Bartender bit of the triple nfr mv

UV/Honeymoon

This was a really great n concise informational video. Honestly, just had no idea that schools were funded partially on property taxes, which yeah would really affect the quality of schools, especially of redlining.

I know that the bank's sort of like a separate entity that's kinda detached from the government (as well as have a different type of reach, economy, foreign ties etc.) , so, is there any kind of regulation that the government can enforce to get rid of that?

If the taxes go into one big deposit every school gets the same amount of money :)

And could be regulated which depends on the size of the school

What’s this devotion? You really seem like a good man
Bodies or oceans, I cling to you like your mainland

https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#petitions

I can't remember where I found this link to petitions but not harm posting it twice.

I nearly got to the bottom of the second page before change.org stopped working. Maybe there's a daily limit of signing petitions and I passed it?

I'll try again tomorrow.

That was a really great answer.. but I'm guessing it's a bit more complex than that bc funding is separate.. is that right?

It is right now in the US. If that’s what you mean?

In other countries people pay taxes for everyone to profit from

So apparently Sean's Police Department is still treating policing like a fucking reality TV show after the mayor just met with activists the other day and agreed to cancel the contract with Live PD.

EZnTlWKX0AAA3fY.png

Speaking of K-pop stans, anyone know any?

what fucking dickheads

It is right now in the US. If that’s what you mean?

In other countries people pay taxes for everyone to profit from

Mhm and after the video I thought so too yeah (honestly had no idea). Taxpayer here too, and I kinda had a grasp on where they go, but just never really followed it beyond that.. reading on it, but thanks..

UV/Honeymoon

Mhm and after the video I thought so too yeah (honestly had no idea). Taxpayer here too, and I kinda had a grasp on where they go, but just never really followed it beyond that.. reading on it, but thanks..

But if I may ask... you live in America?

But if I may ask... you live in America?

Mhm yep. Sorry was gonna ask how things were in the Netherlands, just didn't wanna potentially derail the thread. No one's really active right now, so I guess it might b alrite for the time being. What's up? 

also, for the main thread topic a friend on social media passed to me: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X4-YS3vFn5CLL9QtJSU0xqmTh_h8XilXgOqGAjZISBI/mobilebasic

UV/Honeymoon

Mhm yep. Sorry was gonna ask how things were in the Netherlands, just didn't wanna potentially derail the thread. No one's really active right now, so I guess it might b alrite for the time being. What's up?

- maybe it seems off topic, but I feel like it isn’t.

I guess it is one of the main reasons black people are treated differently in the USA.

In the Netherlands we all pay taxes, but everyone gets the same education

You pay more when you earn more.

We also demonstrate at the moment, racism is still a thing. For example we have a holiday called Sinterklaas. He comes to the Netherlands every december and brings black Pete which is basically a slave...

While we all live together as a multicultural society

- maybe it seems off topic, but I feel like it isn’t.

I guess it is one of the main reasons black people are treated differently in the USA.

In the Netherlands we all pay taxes, but everyone gets the same education

You pay more when you earn more.

We also demonstrate at the moment, racism is still a thing. For example we have a holiday called Sinterklaas. He comes to the Netherlands every december and brings black Pete which is basically a slave...

While we all live together as a multicultural society

Cool let's keep it going.

I definitely think that education really plays a role. the video at the first post of this page really helped out in my understanding of how that happens. I know that education varies a lot here, there are privately funded schools, charter, and of course publicly funded. I can't really say much about my education since I've been to fairly known schools in the area growing up, but I do know of others that weren't so well funded, had lower retention rates. so there's a connection there. 

I know nothing about the Netherlands. Sinterklaas sorta sounds like Santa Claus to me tho, would that b right to connect? I hope it doesn't really still happen today.. does it? 

I'm really glad that the areas I've lived in/ live in the state never really had much trouble w race, but I guess that just depends on the neighborhood.. There are areas that people tend to avoid, bc of violence and higher crime rates. There's another connection.. 

and same here. Real glad that I've been exposed to all sorts of people, but I think maybe it's just bc I know all sorts of people as friends.. 

So if it's cool, how're things in the Netherlands right now? Ya mentioned the holiday? What else goes on?

edit: @@TRENCH , thanks! 

UV/Honeymoon

i made this thread for everyone to educate each other, even if it derails a bit. Especially when police brutality also exists in other countries . @ and @MissDoingNothing is valid bc taxes, red lining, property values, gerrymandering, etc, are part of the political and economical system that make or break equal lines for many people.

My friend (huge disclaimer he's white) has created a tshirt campain on everpress to raise money for BLM. I'm sharing if anyone's interested. I got mine. I know everpress doesn't have clean hands but for now it's the platform he chose.

https://everpress.com/daddy-changed-the-world

ZKcaooE.png

Sorry by posting this here, its a notice from papers of my country (Brazil), we are so angry with this situation (I use google translator so, theres some errors)
In my city there are anti-racist protests scheduled for the 7th, in an upscale neighborhood

The mother of a boy who died when he fell from a building says that his employer, who was with the child, is the mayor's wife: 'If it were me, my face would be printed'

Mirtes Renata went down for a walk with her bosses' dog and left her son with Sari Corte Real, fined for manslaughter. Police do not confirm the identity of the employer. G1 tried to contact the mayor and the family, but had no answer until 1 pm.

By Sabrina Rocha, TV Globo

04/06/2020 12h02 Updated 2 hours ago

"Were it the other way around, I wouldn't even have the right to bail," says the mother of a boy who died in Recife

"If it were me, my face would be printed, as I have seen several cases on TV. My name would be printed and my face would be in all the media. But hers cannot be in the media, it cannot be disclosed". The outburst was made by Mirtes Renata Souza, mother of the boy Miguel Otávio Santana da Silva, 5 years old. The child died when he fell from the 9th floor of a luxury building in Recife after the mother went down to walk the bosses' dog and left the boy in the care of his employer (see video above).

The employer was fined for manslaughter, but the name was not disclosed by the Civil Police. She was arrested in the act, but paid $ 20,000 bail and will respond in freedom. This Thursday (4), Mirtes told in an interview with TV Globo that she was a domestic worker for the mayor of Tamandaré, Sérgio Hacker, and his wife, Sari Corte Real.

G1 and TV Globo called the mayor of Tamandaré's phone throughout the morning, but until 1:05 pm he did not answer the calls. The municipality's press office was also sought, but did not manifest until the same time. The Civil Police was approached to confirm the identity of the bosses, but did not respond. Tamandaré is 114 km from Recife, on the south coast of the state. The mayor maintains residence in both cities.

According to police chief Ramon Teixeira, responsible for the case, security cameras inside the condominium showed the moment when the woman allowed Miguel to enter the elevator alone. In the images, it was possible to see that she talks to the boy, but leaves him there.

The bosses' apartment was on the 5th floor. According to the investigation, Miguel stayed in the elevator alone and got off on the 9th floor. There he climbed a grid in the area of ​​the air conditioners, which is in the common wing of the floor, outside the apartment, and fell.

"She entrusted her children to me and my mother. The moment I entrusted my son to her, unfortunately she did not have the patience to take care, to take [the elevator] out. I know, I do not deny it to anyone: my son was a little stubborn child, he wanted to own himself and everything. But like that, he is a child. He was a child ", said the mother.

Throughout the pandemic, Mirtes and her mother continued to work for the couple. The bosses' family chose to isolate themselves in Tamandaré, on the South Coast. "She said that we were not obliged to go. We went because we need to work, we need to earn our wages to pay the bills and also in a matter of 'mainha' is a risk group ", he explained.

When the mayor announced that he had Covid-19, she too had been diagnosed with the disease. Mirtes reported that, after examinations, it was found that her mother and son also had, but with very mild symptoms. After a while in Tamandaré, everyone returned to Recife.

Day of the accident

Mirtes and her mother took turns at work. With that, it was the grandmother who stayed with Miguel on the day his mother needed to work or in a small hotel, which was not working due to the pandemic. On the day of the accident, the grandmother needed to get a prescription for medication and resolve issues at the bank. As he had done before, Mirtes chose to take his son with him to work.

Miguel had spent the morning playing with the bosses' daughter. It was necessary to go down with the employers' pet dog and she warned the children that none of them would go with them. "I said they weren't going to come down with me because they were getting into it. If they behaved, they would walk later," he recalled.

Mirtes reported that the tour was quick and close to the building, located in the São José neighborhood. Back in the building, he was looking for an order when he learned that someone had fallen. He ran to see who he was and found out it was his son, Miguel. "I saw my son there, lying on the floor," he recalled, adding that he cried out for help.

The boy was taken to Hospital da Restauração, in the Derby neighborhood, inside Sari Corte Real's car, after a neighbor, a doctor, said that he urgently needed help. Arriving at the hospital, Miguel was handed over to the care of the local team.

"It didn't take long and we had the news that my son became a little star, who is there with Jesus and Mary. He is there in Mary's lap", he lamented.

Video

Video shows mistress leaving boy, who died falling from the ninth floor alone in an elevator

On the day of the accident, Mirtes did not want to see the images of the building's security circuit, seeing that the civil police had been shocked. After her son's funeral, she received the video at home. Not to mention how he had access to the images, Mirtes stated that everything has changed since then (see video above).

"Last night, I came to see the reality of what really happened up there when I was walking the dog. That he got into the elevator, that they didn't have the patience to get him out of the elevator. and [say] 'get out' '", he said.

The video showed Sari Corte Real talking to the child. At one point, she puts her hand over the buttons on the panel.

"I only saw her putting her hand on the cover button. From what I noticed in the video, it was the cover button. But I can't confirm that that button was pressed because I didn't see the light. Because when you press the buttons, you turn on the light. Some light up brighter, others weaker. Regardless of whether it triggered or not, it wasn’t supposed to have left him inside the elevator ", he declared.

Mirtes and her mother decided to resign. She said that after seeing the images, she still called her ex-boss and heard from the woman that she had not pressed the elevator button and that she would prove it. "Due to lack of patience, which I had with her children, my son is there in Bonança [Moreno district], together with his uncle, buried," he declared.

On Wednesday (3), Miguel Otávio was veiled in Recife and later he was buried in the same cemetery where Mirtes' brother, who died in 2015, was buried in the Metropolitan Region.

Interrupted dreams

"He was our mascot", says a member of the running group of the mother of a child who lived

Miguel Otávio was Mirtes' only son, who gave up going to college to be able to be closer during the boy's growth. It was loved by everyone and family friends mourned the death during the wake (see video above). He won a birthday boot and, when he turned 6, he went to school.

"He couldn't see a police officer on the street who said 'friend' and said goodbye. [...] Miguel dreamed of being a policeman, dreamed of being a football player. So much so that his party last year was about football," he said.
Still dealing with everything that happened, Mirtes said he wants justice to be done. "If it were me, at that hour, I would already be there at the Bom Pastor [Female Penal Colony], being beaten by the prisoners for being irresponsible with a child," he said.

Miguel's grandmother, Marta Santana, said that she still cannot deal with what happened, but that she will find strength. "My only grandson. I have no reaction, but I need to be strong to be on her side [Mirtes], to support and to do justice for Miguel," said the grandmother.

https://g1.globo.com/pe/pernambuco/noticia/2020/06/04/meu-rosto-estaria-estampado-diz-mae-de-menino-que-morreu-ao-cair-de-predio-ao-identificar-primeira-dama-de-tamandare-como-patroa.ghtml

Great article from The Verge. 

The Verge spoke with Anna Gifty Opoku-Agyeman who, along with others, organized Black Birders Week. She talks about the perception that black people do not connect with nature and how even if they try to, the are excluded on purpose. 

https://www.theverge.com/21279801/viral-video-christian-cooper-black-birders-week-protests

---

Although this is not particular to the purpose of the thread I need to put these to showcase how many whites are [negatively] reacting to these social events:

Bicyclist assaults girl for putting George Floyd signs.

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/1268674720054083584

Daughter has an argument with parents about black oppression, her parents keep shutting her down. (there are various twitter threads of people sharing similar experiences from years ago to recently)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBWf20jw_M/