Sign in to follow this  
electra

Thunder

girl i am a native english speaker i don't need told, it's informal 

nick googled the lyrics awhile back bc he didn't understand "have cut" is an english phrase. a random urban dictionary phrase that non-native speakers don't use, and i have never heard used, is less likely to be the lyric than a common phrase.

ur just salty from being dragged earlier on that other thread oop

are u just trying to educate a native...?

as ive already said, grammar rules are not always obeyed. Lana is not trying to write a formal letter with her songs, so she does not have to apply to these standards

i am not trying to educate anyone as in dragging but if you're gonna come after me - your native speaker friend has also written "your visiting", so.........

Again, not dragging anyone but that's the case

I just listened to it and I think it is "half cut", half cut meaning drunk, very common at least where im from in Scotland.

i'm scottish too and that's literally never been used ever around me ! living in glasgow and aberdeen

i am not trying to educate anyone as in dragging but if you're gonna come after me - your native speaker friend has also written "your visiting", so.........

Again, not dragging anyone but that's the case

someone's salty they have 20 posts on lanaboards and cant get anyone to like them 

You guys are free to continue your mental gymnastics but I'm here to tell you it is half-cut.

You're drunk before the party has started.

"pouring all your drinks".

Half-cut is an extremely common slang term for drunk.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

i'm scottish too and that's literally never been used ever around me ! living in glasgow and aberdeen

someone's salty they have 20 posts on lanaboards and cant get anyone to like them 

I've lived in Glasgow my whole life and heard it 1000 times, I think it's actually a Scottish saying or UK anyway. Im honestly shocked you've never heard it before as it's that common to me?

i'm not here to get people to like me, i just joined bc i think i'd post my opinions on lana stuff here rather than my personal social media. i am not salty at all. the fact that you react like that when you get corrected speaks volumes. ppl on here liking me means nothing to me lmao 

You guys are free to continue your mental gymnastics but I'm here to tell you it is half-cut.

You're drunk before the party has started.

"pouring all your drinks".

Half-cut is an extremely common slang term for drunk.

okay lana

"you my friend have cut" makes more sense as a sentence. also, you can literally hear the "v" sound

i'm not here to get people to like me, i just joined bc i think i'd rather post my opinions on lana stuff here rather than my personal social media. i am not salty at all. the fact that you react like that when you get corrected speaks volumes. ppl on here liking me means nothing to me lmao 

girl there is no "correction" you're acting like this was an argument rather than a back and forth and then u got defensive so i'm here to tell you like it is!

unless ur lana herself telling me the lyrics its not a correction, in reality it's unlikely we're gonna be able to tell because they're similar words. put whatever u want in ur itunes, doesn't phase me !

I've lived in Glasgow my whole life and heard it 1000 times, I think it's actually a Scottish saying or UK anyway. Im honestly shocked you've never heard it before as it's that common to me?

nope, i've heard all the usual but i don't think anyone has ever "commonly" used half cut. never in glasgow nor any area of scotland. also the fact the urban dictionary isn't particularly popular speaks volumes at least to me. i would have expected a little bit more than that

also, for everyone's reference it is a thing:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/cut-out#:~:text=verb%20%2D%20intransitive,to%20go%2C%20leave%2C%20exit.

girl there is no "correction" you're acting like this was an argument rather than a back and forth and then u got defensive so i'm here to tell you like it is!

unless ur lana herself telling me the lyrics its not a correction, in reality it's unlikely we're gonna be able to tell because they're similar words. put whatever u want in ur itunes, doesn't phase me !

i never got defensive, especially when talking to you. i might have come across as defensive when replying to your friend but nothing i said was wrong, so? btw the way you address me with "girl" is cringeworthy.

i never got defensive, especially when talking to you. i might have come across as defensive when replying to your friend but nothing i said was wrong, so? btw the way you address me with "girl" is cringeworthy.

you literally just said i argued with you when it was just a back and forth discussing point of view on english phrasing? like i was just telling you as a native speaker the wording makes sense and then you called it an argument?

girl.

I mean the verse before that ends with:

but i know what your like
when the party ends

How would she know how they're like at the end of the party, if they already left at the beginning?

So I am for half-cut too

edit: hope the little errors with your/you're will be atleast fixed

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

nope, i've heard all the usual but i don't think anyone has ever "commonly" used half cut. never in glasgow nor any area of scotland. also the fact the urban dictionary isn't particularly popular speaks volumes at least to me. i would have expected a little bit more than that

also, for everyone's reference it is a thing:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/cut-out#:~:text=verb%20%2D%20intransitive,to%20go%2C%20leave%2C%20exit.

I've always heard it, so weird. I bet almost everyone you know will have heard it as well.

It's used mostly like you'd see your pal and go "You look half cut already", I would never really say "im half cut", usually used in a jokey way to say someone is drunk.

It doesnt really change the meaning of the song anyway, either he has left before it starts or hes drunk before it starts both work but it also sounds like she says half to me.

I mean the verse before that ends with:

but i know what your like

when the party ends

How would she know how they're like at the end of the party, if they already left at the beginning?

So I am for half-cut too

edit: hope the little errors with your/you're will be atleast fixed

but how does the party begin in verse 2 and end in verse 1

I've always heard it, so weird. I bet almost everyone you know will have heard it as well.

It's used mostly like you'd see your pal and go "You look half cut already", I would never really say "im half cut", usually used in a jokey way to say someone is drunk.

It doesnt really change the meaning of the song anyway, either he has left before it starts or hes drunk before it starts both work but it also sounds like she says half to me.

i mean also looking at that the tweets are SOOOOO few and far between. like there's years between some of those. and a limmy tweet that's over five years old too? like for me that just doesn't seem like "popular slang" if you get what i mean.

but how does the party begin in verse 2 and end in verse 1

time present and time past are perhaps both present in time future. all time is irredeemable. What might have been is an abstract remaining a perpetual mystery only in a world of speculation. Footfalls echo down the path we did not take through the door we did not open into the rose garden

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

time present and time past are perhaps both present in time future. all time is irredeemable. What might have been is an abstract remaining a perpetual mystery only in a world of speculation. Footfalls echo down the path we did not take through the door we did not open into the rose garden

im screaming