Sign in to follow this  
tutnecke

importance of lana for music industry

hi guys! I was thinking about the importance that lana has for the music industry, we know that the indie genre would not be the same without her !!

singers like lorde and billie gained space in music thanks to the path opened by lana.... anyway, for you what are the biggest influences that our lizzy has impacted on current music ??

xoxo

lana_del_rey_-_robb_cohen-invision-ap_-_

Well to understand Lana’s impact we first need to understand where Lana’s inspiration comes from.

So where does Lana’s inspiration come from? Her biggest influences are Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Nicks, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young. Laurel Canyon has had a huge influence on her art. We can’t forget about the influence Lou Reed has had on Lana. Even David Lynch’s art has had a major influence on her art.

So Lana has a Rock and a Roll heart but a folk music soul. You can trace her musical roots all the way back to Woody Guthrie.

So fast forward to 2011-2012 when Lana started shaking things up. At that time pop music was happy, fun and upbeat. But could people really relate to that? No. The music industry establishment itself was out of touch with the audience. Lana came in with songs people related to on a very deep level. She brought substance. The music critics were at first very unfair to her. She did not fit into the mold of a neatly processed pop star. She was not an industry plant like so many other people at the time. Lana was real. She received online hate because she was authentic, a woman and beautiful. But as time went by Lana secured a loyal fan base really fast. On top of that she was making money and money is what makes the music industry go round. And take my word for this; I come from a music industry family. My father is a Grammy nominated engineer, so I know what goes on. So the critics may have been unfair to Lana, but she secured and audience and was making money on one of the top record labels (Interscope).

As for the indie genre, Lana’s impact has been huge. Without Lana you would not have Lorde or Billie Eilish. Lana paved the way for them so that they can be successful and win Grammys even though NARAS is yet to give Lana a much deserved Grammy.

But Lana has done something very few musicians do; she has created a new genre of music; Hollywood Sadcore.

Only recently people have finally started to recognize Lana’s impact and how she was the most influential songwriter of the 2010s. Taylor Swift said it best when she said that Lana is her favorite contemporary songwriter. You can even see Lana’s influence on Taylor Swift.

When the history books are written, they will be very kind to Lana. 20 years from now the history books will look back at 2012 and say that Lana changed the industry. All the criticism from that time will be silenced. Let’s remember that many of Lana’s musical heros were not fully embraced at first. Bob Dylan wasn’t fully embraced at first. Now he is a Nobel prize winner. Bruce Springsteen who praised Lana last week had to deal with similar criticism from music critics.

Let us be absolutely clear; Lana Del Rey is the greatest musical storyteller of her generation. As a songwriter she is every bit as good as Bob Dylan. And she is the best of her generation because she learns from the best; Dylan, Springsteen, Cohen, Michell, CSN.

So to this new generation; Lana is the one who inspired them. Lana is to this generation what Bob Dylan is to the baby boomers.

So what did Lana do? She did what she wanted to do. Never do something just because other people do it. Never follow the crowd. Make up your own mind and then do it. This is what Lana did.

In The Departed, Jack Nicholson’s character says “I don’t want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me”. This is what Lana has done for the music industry.

Lana will get the recognition she deserves. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but she will get proper recognition. She is a future member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And speaking of Rock and Roll, Lana is the one who will save that genre. She has already created her own musical genre and she is going to save another one. A revival of folk-rock is already going on thanks to Lana.

I can literally go on all day discussing Lana’s impact and where things are going. I have studied music extensively so I just love these kinds of discussions!

Yeah Lana's influence is definitely similar to those of legends. She's looked after when it comes to inspiration; she's like the Pinterest of the music industry for a lot of artists, songwriters and producers. The albums she's put out this past decade have been some of the most talked-about releases of the century: Born to Die, Ultraviolence, Norman Fucking Rockwell!. She's up there with Joy Division, Björk, etc. AlexParliament said it best tbh.

Also, not only she inspires a lot of newcoming and established female artists (Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Beyoncé, Lorde, Billie Eilish, Marina, Adele, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, plus the amount of producers and songwriters in pop and even rap music), but she also inspired millions and millions of DIY artists and fans all over the world. Her music is so beautiful and mysterious yet so human, raw and "home-made" it encouraged millions of us to make our own music. 

Well to understand Lana’s impact we first need to understand where Lana’s inspiration comes from.

So where does Lana’s inspiration come from? Her biggest influences are Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Nicks, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young. Laurel Canyon has had a huge influence on her art. We can’t forget about the influence Lou Reed has had on Lana. Even David Lynch’s art has had a major influence on her art.

So Lana has a Rock and a Roll heart but a folk music soul. You can trace her musical roots all the way back to Woody Guthrie.

So fast forward to 2011-2012 when Lana started shaking things up. At that time pop music was happy, fun and upbeat. But could people really relate to that? No. The music industry establishment itself was out of touch with the audience. Lana came in with songs people related to on a very deep level. She brought substance. The music critics were at first very unfair to her. She did not fit into the mold of a neatly processed pop star. She was not an industry plant like so many other people at the time. Lana was real. She received online hate because she was authentic, a woman and beautiful. But as time went by Lana secured a loyal fan base really fast. On top of that she was making money and money is what makes the music industry go round. And take my word for this; I come from a music industry family. My father is a Grammy nominated engineer, so I know what goes on. So the critics may have been unfair to Lana, but she secured and audience and was making money on one of the top record labels (Interscope).

As for the indie genre, Lana’s impact has been huge. Without Lana you would not have Lorde or Billie Eilish. Lana paved the way for them so that they can be successful and win Grammys even though NARAS is yet to give Lana a much deserved Grammy.

But Lana has done something very few musicians do; she has created a new genre of music; Hollywood Sadcore.

Only recently people have finally started to recognize Lana’s impact and how she was the most influential songwriter of the 2010s. Taylor Swift said it best when she said that Lana is her favorite contemporary songwriter. You can even see Lana’s influence on Taylor Swift.

When the history books are written, they will be very kind to Lana. 20 years from now the history books will look back at 2012 and say that Lana changed the industry. All the criticism from that time will be silenced. Let’s remember that many of Lana’s musical heros were not fully embraced at first. Bob Dylan wasn’t fully embraced at first. Now he is a Nobel prize winner. Bruce Springsteen who praised Lana last week had to deal with similar criticism from music critics.

Let us be absolutely clear; Lana Del Rey is the greatest musical storyteller of her generation. As a songwriter she is every bit as good as Bob Dylan. And she is the best of her generation because she learns from the best; Dylan, Springsteen, Cohen, Michell, CSN.

So to this new generation; Lana is the one who inspired them. Lana is to this generation what Bob Dylan is to the baby boomers.

So what did Lana do? She did what she wanted to do. Never do something just because other people do it. Never follow the crowd. Make up your own mind and then do it. This is what Lana did.

In The Departed, Jack Nicholson’s character says “I don’t want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me”. This is what Lana has done for the music industry.

Lana will get the recognition she deserves. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but she will get proper recognition. She is a future member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And speaking of Rock and Roll, Lana is the one who will save that genre. She has already created her own musical genre and she is going to save another one. A revival of folk-rock is already going on thanks to Lana.

I can literally go on all day discussing Lana’s impact and where things are going. I have studied music extensively so I just love these kinds of discussions!

omfg !! thanks for this !! so deep...

Yes, Lana definitely paved the way for sad music, but although we all hate talking about the "Question for the culture" post, I think she said some very important things in there. Her music shows you that it's okay to be a submissive "weak" woman. Her submissive lyrics were and still are considered super controversial but I'm happy she stood behind them because for a lot of women, me included, those lyrics are much more relatable and real than more "empowered" sounding lyrics.

I also think her style helped popularize a 50/60 retro aesthetic. I agree with @AlexParliament, I think she'll go down in musical history and has already made a lasting impact. Hopefully she'll get her Grammy and Walk of Fame star soon! I also want a documentary & a biography.

Yes, Lana definitely paved the way for sad music, but although we all hate talking about the "Question for the culture" post, I think she said some very important things in there. Her music shows you that it's okay to be a submissive "weak" woman. Her submissive lyrics were and still are considered super controversial but I'm happy she stood behind them because for a lot of women, me included, those lyrics are much more relatable and real than more "empowered" sounding lyrics.

I also think her style helped popularize a 50/60 retro aesthetic. I agree with @AlexParliament, I think she'll go down in musical history and has already made a lasting impact. Hopefully she'll get her Grammy and Walk of Fame star soon! I also want a documentary & a biography.

Agree 100%. As I said, Lana speaks for THE PEOPLE.

She will win a Grammy, maybe Spoken Word Album next year. She’s got a real shot. But she will win a Grammy at some point.

The Hollywood walk of Fame Star is a lot of politicking, but she could get one one day.

I have been saying for the past two years that she should get a Netflix documentary!

Agree 100%. As I said, Lana speaks for THE PEOPLE.

She will win a Grammy, maybe Spoken Word Album next year. She’s got a real shot. But she will win a Grammy at some point.

The Hollywood walk of Fame Star is a lot of politicking, but she could get one one day.

I have been saying for the past two years that she should get a Netflix documentary!

The fact that Billie Eyelash didn't just get a Grammy but also a documentary before Lana is embarassing :facepalm:

The fact that Billie Eyelash didn't just get a Grammy but also a documentary before Lana is embarassing :facepalm:

The entire deck was stacked in that Grammy race. Lana doesn’t have a team that stacks the deck. Billie took part in GrammyU as a kid, she grew up around the academy and with industry connections. Of course she won. Welcome to Hollywood!

Lana is not a Hollywood insider. She is for the people. Not the establishment.

Lana could possibly have a biopic made about her once she's dead but she seems so closed off about her personal life I mean she hardly ever talked about her life before BTD other than some guys she's been with so I don't think she'd ever choose to do a documentary 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

:gclap:

Did I ever tell you how one stacks the deck in a Grammy race? Did you hear about the corruption in the Recording Academy prior to this years Grammys?

My father is an academy member who was actually nominated in 2004. He did vote for Lana on his ballot.

However he keeps telling me that the Grammys is run by an old boys club and was not surprised by the revelations that came out in the press.

Did I ever tell you how one stacks the deck in a Grammy race? Did you hear about the corruption in the Recording Academy prior to this years Grammys?

My father is an academy member who was actually nominated in 2004. He did vote for Lana on his ballot.

However he keeps telling me that the Grammys is run by an old boys club and was not surprised by the revelations that came out in the press.

Yeah it's definitely corrupt. I don't even have to be an insider to know that :( It's so sad. I mean, I'm sure some wins are totally honest (and deserved), but most of them... ew. It's great that your father is an Academy member!

Yeah it's definitely corrupt. I don't even have to be an insider to know that :( It's so sad. I mean, I'm sure some wins are totally honest (and deserved), but most of them... ew. It's great that your father is an Academy member!

It’s good that he’s an academy member. The academy does do a lot of important work though, especially MusiCares and the Grammy Foundation.