Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass Reviews and Metacritic Thread

The Guardian - I thought this one was pretty good actually. Yeah, the author didn't like it but I thought it was pretty objective and actually praised her music, even if they called it nihilistic and samey :rip:

Louder than War - Meh, very confusing and they talk way too much about the world and her career than the audiobook itself. This is the second review, after The Guardian, that mentons "Fucked My Way Up to the Top" for, well, no reason.

NME - This one is just cute promo haha. It doesn't say anyting, really. It's like a summary of the audiobook.

The Line of Best Fit - I died at "Lana The Poet" :lmao: This one was amazing. And the author actually listened and took time to understand. 

The Guardian - I thought this one was pretty good actually. Yeah, the author didn't like it but I thought it was pretty objective and actually praised her music, even if they called it nihilistic and samey :rip:

The Guardian has a campaign against Lana going on for like forever, so that's no surprise. But I'm still shocked NFR was their AOTY after their review was more on the meh! side.

The guardian review is just plain bad: Dismissing everything after LA tf?

As a poet, Del Rey is at her best when she is her most surreal, least earnest self

If she didn't dismiss the rest, like Sportcruiser, she wouldn't spread such lies.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

that guardian review is so poorly written.  seems the critic was in way over her head.    it was rich of her to say Lana sounded childlike - that was my exact thought on the critic.

"all her music sounds kind of the same.  im ok with that; its silly, its camp, its a mood."

LMAOOOOO how did this survive editing drafts im dead

There's one from Jezebel as well (that I didn't care to read beyond the first sentence as they usually love to hate on her):  

https://jezebel.com/people-love-mysteries-people-love-visions-a-brief-jour-1844530690

Yeah...

Del Rey’s voice is clear and concise as she perfectly enunciates every word, but at the same time is incredibly childlike in portions—particularly in Chapter 1, where she repeats the phrase, “L.A., I’m lonely can I come home now?” When Del Rey isn’t taking on the tone of a small child, she sounds vaguely like an untrained phone sex operator.

They absolutely didn't bother looking deeper into it.

> My thoughts are about nothing, and beautiful, and for free

That last part is somewhat true, as I was able to listen to this poorly constructed stream of consciousness for free by signing up for a trial of Audible.

The author was trashing the audio constantly. To sum this poor review up in their own words:

reads like an amalgamation of memes and slogans.

I am not expecting praise or whatever, but these reviews are legitimately not putting any effort in it. They might as well not do it.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

Ugh these reviews suck. Like all great art, the magic will be lost on a lot of people who don't give it proper focus, or people who already have dismissed Lana before they listen.

There's one from Jezebel as well (that I didn't care to read beyond the first sentence as they usually love to hate on her):  

https://jezebel.com/people-love-mysteries-people-love-visions-a-brief-jour-1844530690

A Supposedly Feminist Website :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

People arent reviewing her poetry they are reviewing her problematic instagram post

Lust For Dead   large.gif

A Supposedly Feminist Website :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

People arent reviewing her poetry they are reviewing her problematic instagram post

didn't these haclks give Amanda Lovelace (one of the worst so called poets) RAVING REVIEWS? then again its not like jezebel reviews poetry. Lana's a celeb that garners a lot of views, and sites got to get that clickbait

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg