Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass Reviews and Metacritic Thread

Omg ended Halsey  :hdu: :hdu: :hdu: :hdu:

It’s a funny moment that reminds you how Lana Del Rey’s self-awareness has always been crucial to her art, part of what separates her from imitators in the pop world and beyond.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/lana-del-rey-poetry-audiobook-violet-bent-backwards-over-the-grass-review/

Lust For Dead   large.gif

Omg ended Halsey  :hdu: :hdu: :hdu: :hdu:

It’s a funny moment that reminds you how Lana Del Rey’s self-awareness has always been crucial to her art, part of what separates her from imitators in the pop world and beyond.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/lana-del-rey-poetry-audiobook-violet-bent-backwards-over-the-grass-review/

This was a good review with some good insights, I enjoyed reading it. I'm glad they are not grading it numerically. It's logical not to do so but you never know with Pitchfork.

https://www.cracked.com/article_28319_lana-del-reys-album-spoken-word-poetry-...-not-good.html

one of the worst "reviews" of art i've ever seen. this reminds me of 2012 when all that was judged was lana's past. even the commenters are pissed at how hateful this woman is.

this girl compared lana to l*na d*nham, a literal sexual predator

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

https://www.cracked.com/article_28319_lana-del-reys-album-spoken-word-poetry-...-not-good.html

one of the worst "reviews" of art i've ever seen. this reminds me of 2012 when all that was judged was lana's past. even the commenters are pissed at how hateful this woman is.

giphy.gif

I think that website isn't to be taken seriously when it comes to reviews. It's an attempt at "humor". Don't pay it any mind.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

Vulture wrote a review dragging her, but there are parts that are wildly inaccurate. They say NFR was her first work to acknowledge trouble in paradise when that’s been a keystone of her work since the beginning. He also claims that NFR was the start of acclaim she has received and she lost it with the IG comments.

Vulture wrote a review dragging her, but there are parts that are wildly inaccurate. They say NFR was her first work to acknowledge trouble in paradise when that’s been a keystone of her work since the beginning. He also claims that NFR was the start of acclaim she has received and she lost it with the IG comments.

while the review is trash, the part i bolded is a shared sentiment imo, like:

She's not in a great place right now with the public, between getting body shamed and people still playing back her note from May.

It may take some more time for things to settle a bit.

It's frustrating because she was in a very good place with the public, finally getting the accolades she deserved, and now this.

i also feel that finally the public's opinion on lana changed and heightened by the time of nfr, and now she has all this backlash and hate aimed at her. i really hope she can fully come back from this by the time of her next album.

while the review is trash, the part i bolded is a shared sentiment imo, like:

i also feel that finally the public's opinion on lana changed and heightened with nfr, and now she has all this backlash and hate aimed at her. i really hope she can fully come back from this by the time of her next album.

Vulture is not “the public”. The view of one reviewer who clearly has an agenda does not represent the views of everyone else. The media is out of touch with the public. It’s been that way since the 90s.

Her career is fine and critics have never been the gatekeeper of who made it in this business. If that were the case, The Beatles never would have made it.

Still most of the reviews of this audiobook have been positive.

The part that’s untrue is that acclaim started with NFR. UV made dozens of year-end lists and became widely acclaimed. BTD started receiving its retrospective acclaim pre-NFR. LFL received great reviews despite being her worst album.

The idea of Lana being well received starting with NFR is a ridiculous notion. What NFR did is it expanded her audience to those who didn’t understand her at first.

UV, Honeymoon and LFL all got good reviews too. BTD is now very well received despite the initial negative reaction. Overall she has been credited as having a huge impact on music in the last decade.

She is currently very well liked and respected. And it’s been that way for a while now.

Vulture is not “the public”. The view of one reviewer who clearly has an agenda does not represent the views of everyone else. The media is out of touch with the public. It’s been that way since the 90s.

Her career is fine and critics have never been the gatekeeper of who made it in this business. If that were the case, The Beatles never would have made it.

Still most of the reviews of this audiobook have been positive.

i didn’t say the vulture is the public. i said i feel it is a shared sentiment that she’s getting a lot of backlash currently after finally having the highest regard from the public, to date.

i didn’t say the vulture is the public. i said i feel it is a shared sentiment that she’s getting a lot of backlash currently after finally having the highest regard from the public, to date.

What I’m saying is the “backlash” you are referring to does not come from a large group of people. It comes from a small group with big mouths. These are trolls I’m referring to. It’s been two months since the IG post. People have moved on because news cycles are short. The public is enjoying her poems and is looking forward to her next record because people care about her art, not her views.

They did a poll once that found that political views of celebrities have no influence. Another recently poll found that a majority is against cancel culture.

The bottom line is that empty barrels make the most noise.

The majority of people don’t go around making lots of noise. They mind their business. And it’s that majority who is not discussed by the press. It is that majority that isn’t trolling people on Twitter because they actually have things to do in life.

I posted this in another thread but maybe it should be here. This is not a "review" that would be counted in Metacritic or quoted but it comes from a guy who knows or claims to know about poetry. Watch it! With reviews you have to consider the source. I know nothing about poetry and I probably won't read the book as much as listen to Lana read it. I think she did a great job. Not trying too hard, over acting but very genuine. If people don't like it they can ask for a refund. Good luck.

The problem with Lana is that she doesn't apologize. She doesn't see why people are upset about that stupid IG post, and if she is, she's unwilling to apologize for it. 

Part of me respects her for that, because she stands in her mess, and if she feels she was completely misinterpreted, she has the right to feel that way. That said, it's probably going to impact her critically for a while, Chemtrails included. Don't be surprised if we get more mixed reviews this year because of all this dumb drama, unless she addresses it thoroughly in the album.

What I’m saying is the “backlash” you are referring to does not come from a large group of people. It comes from a small group with big mouths. These are trolls I’m referring to. It’s been two months since the IG post. People have moved on because news cycles are short. The public is enjoying her poems and is looking forward to her next record because people care about her art, not her views.

They did a poll once that found that political views of celebrities have no influence. Another recently poll found that a majority is against cancel culture.

The bottom line is that empty barrels make the most noise.

The majority of people don’t go around making lots of noise. They mind their business. And it’s that majority who is not discussed by the press. It is that majority that isn’t trolling people on Twitter because they actually have things to do in life.

i see what you’re saying, but i’ve also seen very hateful and accusatory tweets toward her with well over 100k likes/retweets, like multiple of these. i don’t believe she’s in good standing with the overall public.

i see what you’re saying, but i’ve also seen very hateful and accusatory tweets toward her with well over 100k likes/retweets, like multiple of these. i don’t believe she’s in good standing with the overall public.

We live in a world of 7 billion. Retweets don't really mean much and many accounts are bots. She's in pretty good standing because people care about her art. People really are not going to hold on to something that happened months ago. People move on. And twitter is not the place for gauging public opinion. 

The problem with Lana is that she doesn't apologize. She doesn't see why people are upset about that stupid IG post, and if she is, she's unwilling to apologize for it. 

Part of me respects her for that, because she stands in her mess, and if she feels she was completely misinterpreted, she has the right to feel that way. That said, it's probably going to impact her critically for a while, Chemtrails included. Don't be surprised if we get more mixed reviews this year because of all this dumb drama, unless she addresses it thoroughly in the album.

There is nothing to apologize for. And by this point people are over that IG post because it was months ago. What she says on IG has no bearing on how her music is received and whether or not people buy it. Lana has nothing to worry about. All I'll say is that she should not give any more opinions on IG because people are overly sensitive.