Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

so absolutely beautiful. love this two particularly, they got me 

"Maybe an artist has to function a little bit above themselves,
If they really want to transmit some heaven”

"Oh - and Jim died at 27

So find another frame of reference
When you’re referencing heaven"

I have gold in my veins

yall i could be wrong but I feel like i’m hearing mellotron throughout this album

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Mine was on Audible at about 4am when I woke up!

First listen thoughts - insightful, vulnerable, visceral.

Childhood, fame, and love are three things that def weigh on her.

I feel like this is the most real and personal project we have ever received. It is truly beautiful and shaking to the core. Seeing into her mind, thoughts, and feelings is very relatable and soothing but disconcerting at the same time. It’s very provoking and just a diff feeling than a normal musical release.

I was really surprised by the production. I’m really hoping that this is a segue into COCC and these same elements are carried over. Very excited for the album now.

All the poems are beautiful. It’s just another insight into her that we don’t see so often. Very atmospheric. Anyways standouts on 1st listen for me are LA, 1000 Fires, Cypress Thriving, Sportcruiser, Happy, and Bare Feet on Linoleum.

It’s a massive work that flows well into her discography. Jack’s music being the right amount of emotion without overshadowing it. Love the atmospheric music to LA Who AM I..., Quiet Waiter, Blue Forever, the witchy vibes to The Land of a 1000 Fires. Love the storytelling on Tessa DiPietro (was honestly worried about that one), My Bed is in Peace (I think this is the title?!?), and SportsCruiser.

A lot of these poems mirror NFR’s themes or complement them (this could be a complete analysis in itself).

Now I can’t wait for Chemtrails (which is briefly mentioned on The Cypress Poem). We are now in a very interesting phase of her career, one where she is solidifying her writing heritage.

Only just finished my first listen (piece of advice: don't rely on Audible, their service is absolute trash, they take hours to add a purchase to your library)

Violet is beautiful. Lana's vocal delivery is so soothing, but not too melancholy, and Jack's music is complimentary but not distracting.

Sportcruiser is a particular favourite. It provides so much context for her thoughts and actions in recent times.

I'm very excited to read the additional poems in the physical release, and to get Behind the Iron Gates - Insights from an Institution next year.

Yo, when are we getting the Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant re-release?  :cuteface:

Going to listen to "SportCruiser" and trying not to completely freak out. I've decided to proceed very slowly, calmly, no mental breakdowns, thank u.

But for real it is about that kind of deepness... and at a certain point you find yourself in need of a break to process it all. :noir:

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

This is really a brilliant work of art. I'm going to need to listen to it again several more times, read the words several more time because you need to do that with poetry in order to interpret the deeper meanings. We all know that Lana is a very deep person obviously so there is a lot to take in here.

But congrats to Lana on a job well done. Shout out to Jack Antanoff too!!

Stepped in to say this is 100% her best album. Yes, even better than Honeymoon. The instrumentals have major Twin Peaks vibes and I think I almost prefer her speaking to singing, idk it’s just so soothing and emotional. My very favourite is indeed The Land of 1000 Fires, but Past the Bush Cypress Thriving is a surprising favourite, Sportcruiser is an obvious highlight & Quiet Waiter Blue Forever is so entrancing. Tbh every poem is a highlight. I can’t wait til autumn for the book&vinyl. Now back to listening to it on repeat.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

This is so beautiful and the background music wow

Her speaking is amazing and so beautiful, you can feel her emotions

Lana is going to read me to sleep everynight

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

This is so beautiful and the background music wow

Her speaking is amazing and so beautiful, you can feel her emotions

Lana is going to read me to sleep everynight

She’s going to read me to sleep every night too :)