Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

All this circumnavigating the earth
Was to get back to my life
Six trips to the moon for my poetry to arise
I'm not a captain
I'm not a pilot
I write
I write

MealyUglyGangesdolphin-size_restricted.g

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Ehm... there are? I buy all my audiobooks on Itunes usually.

I have literally over 15 audiobooks saved in my spotify, bought several audiobooks on Itunes.... What's so hard to grasp. :um:

I’ve been trying to say this for weeks! Violet was the first audiobook I’ve spent money on bc I always listen to audiobooks on Spotify for free instead. (The Silmarillion is basically always in my recently listened lol.) I still think it’s not on streaming services bc the proceeds are tied to a charity, and generally even charity songs don’t end up on Spotify bc then people won’t buy it if they can listen for free.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I finished listening to the audiobook version last night. Not a big fan of the majority of the poems but I liked a few. Love the way Jack worked with the instrumentals, wasn't expecting that.

Sportcruiser is still the highlight for me. It's just so beautifully put together, it got me a little emotional. Her writing really shines here.

25 minutes ago, gatadelrey said:

Love listening to this every night as I’m falling asleep. It’s sooooo peaceful and soothing. 

Quiet Waiter - Blue Forever sounds like an actual lullaby :flutter:

So sweet :flutter:

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

yall... at first i thought sportcruiser was the best here but i think the best one might be salamander. it’s gorgeous how she recorded the part, “I love you but you don’t understand me, i’m a real poet! my life is my poetry... my lovemaking is my legacy!”

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

So its become hard for me to listen to Sportcruiser. The entire first part in the studio apartment with yellow petals as their view. Terrible you, which was unfortunately me in my situation. Its alot to take in in a moment of introspection, one I don't want to make cus i know I sucked, and I honestly thank God it becomes a more specific tale to who she is and what her fears are. I adore Violet and its such a  great listen and I usually refuse to skip tracks, yet Sportcruiser drains the happiness from me, even though i can never help but smile when she's so taken that no one on the dock cares who she is. Its the albums masterpiece, but if im just trying to vibe it seems it may have to become a skip. The most affecting piece she has ever written and it turns out I literally wasn't prepared for it.

lol i wonder how many times she recorded stuff, listened and then deleted, then re-recorded lol

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I love Violet from start to finish but the three poems in a row: Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving, Salamander, and Never to Heaven is probably the most special part of the album to me. I will often go back and replay those three poems in a row again at least once before moving on. Idk what it is but they do flow so well into each other sonically and thematically. Sorry if I keep coming back here to rave about this album, I just love it so much.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

16 hours ago, HydroponicWeeds said:

yall... at first i thought sportcruiser was the best here but i think the best one might be salamander. it’s gorgeous how she recorded the part, “I love you but you don’t understand me, i’m a real poet! my life is my poetry... my lovemaking is my legacy!”

This. I've seen people saying that they cringe at it, for me is the climax of the audiobook. I absolutely adore how dramatic she sounds, how commited she is to the narrative. A highlight on a brilliant project!

2 hours ago, sjatib said:

This. I've seen people saying that they cringe at it, for me is the climax of the audiobook. I absolutely adore how dramatic she sounds, how commited she is to the narrative. A highlight on a brilliant project!

shes literally spewing her heart at him, or herself even, almost trying to convince herself that she truly is this poet and shes valid to feel this way! it’s so interesting to hear something so, so different from her. god i love her

giphy.gif

Paradise is very fragile has to be one of my favorite lyrical bodies of work that lana has ever published. Every word is divine and puts me in this headspace that i’m not alone with what I feel. She just did an amazing job.

giphy.gif

Almost a month later, and Paradise is Very Fragile and Never to Heaven are my most frequently listened to and my favourites

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift