Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

Have you tried this? It's all I can find because in the end I got fed up and bought it on Google play instead so I never actually signed up for an Audible account.

https://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6738/~/how-can-i-cancel-my-membership%3F

You have to view the audible website as a desktop version on your phone, only then will it show the cancel subscription option. I didn’t know either until it allowed me to view the entire page as it would be on a desktop.

giphy.gif

I'm about to go for a ride on my bike while listening to this... it's a gorgeous winter afternoon so I'm pretty excited. There are lots and lots of trees (especially pine trees!) where I live. <3

It was so so relaxing.

Whats-App-Image-2020-07-30-at-17-55-19.jWhats-App-Image-2020-07-30-at-17-55-26.j

I'm very intrigued about LA. What is so special about this place that almost every artist has a song about it? And a lot of them sort of have a bittersweet tone.

I visited there 3 summers in a row (except this one ofc, covid) - it's just so... different? That's the best way I can describe it anyway. Everyone and everything is just openly different and weird and nobody cares, in a really good and refreshing way. I feel so alive when I'm there. Then again, where I live in comparison, is dead.  :creep:

I'm very intrigued about LA. What is so special about this place that almost every artist has a song about it? And a lot of them sort of have a bittersweet tone.

It's a place full of hope but also very full of itself? Being there feels like being in a weird paradox. It seems like a sad place to have residency in (unless you're already famous) but that's just me. It's quite beautiful to visit though. Malibu beach is a dream.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

It's a place full of hope but also very full of itself? Being there feels like being in a weird paradox. It's seems like a sad place to have residency in (unless you're already famous) but that's just me. It's quite beautiful to visit though. Malibu beach is a dream.

I agree, it's a weird paradox. There are as many wealthy, loaded people in their supercars as there are those who are struggling to reach their dreams. Musicians by the ocean, rap groups break dancing in the streets. The greedy and the givers. The city is a wildcard. I've never seen a place quite like it before.

It was so so relaxing.

Whats-App-Image-2020-07-30-at-17-55-19.jWhats-App-Image-2020-07-30-at-17-55-26.j

I love how unproblematic and sweet you are all the time, thanks for sharing these experiences with us <3

I'll do it for the right reasons

Withstanding all the time, changes and seasons

~?~

It’s the city of dreams, where everything related to movies used to be (it stilL much is) and where so many mystical singers and bands came from. It’s not even beautiful, honestly: there is almost no préservation of architectural landmarks of any kind, and the traffic is horrendous ( Not owning a car is almost unthinkable). And yet, the vibe is very special and weird: it’s chill and hippie, and yet, people think they are the shit (selfcare, plastic surgery and vegan and also the stuff of big brands). It’s always sunny and yet, you know there is a chance this could all go away in an earthquake. There are so mystical places to be and see (Lana mentioned spring many of them in her songs: if you go visit, listen to her albums, it’s the perfect soundtrack). It’s worth seeing once in a lifetime.

“I love you, but you don't understand me,

I'm a real poet!

My life is my poetry, my love making is my legacy!

My thoughts are about nothing, and beautiful, and for free”

All the feels :defeated: :defeated:

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

Howdy, I am new to the lanaboards but a long time fan. I saw some people are curious about what a few of the lines from "LA Who Am I To Love You?" could mean and below is my interpretation :)

"Back home to the Tudor house

That borned a thousand murder plots

Hancock Park

It's treated me very badly

I'm resentful

The witch on the corner

The neighbor nobody wanted

The reason for Garcetti's extra security"

Lana had fans invade her Hancock Park home so it was a bad experience that has her feeling resentment. She's referring to herself as the witch in the home on the corner and that her neighbors didn't want her living next to them, including politician Eric Michael Garcetti (mayor of Los Angeles since 2013) who she is claiming had more security guards hired at his Hancock Park home because of her (probably due to the infatuated fans).

To add to my previous post, I feel that the poem seems to be her pleading with LA to understand, respect, and accept her so she can finally feel at peace and at home there. She seems to express both the worthiness and unworthiness about both herself and LA. She softly demands for her truth to be heard, vents and defends about various experiences and characteristics, expresses qualities about herself and what she can offer, as well as what they do and don't have in common in a way that provokes a sense of compatibility between them and her utter desperation for everything to work out there. "Can I come home now?" is not her asking if she can go to her literal house, as she continues to wish to go home even after telling the story of her Hancock Park home which obviously didn't feel safe or comforting.

I love how unproblematic and sweet you are all the time, thanks for sharing these experiences with us <3

ow thank you!  :crai:

I caved and ordered it, whatever it is.

All the bundles are up for preorder, but this one isn't even listed on the store. Then again, it's possibile to buy it via specific link  :crossed:

So, what are they hiding from us and most importantly why?  :crossed:

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

I really didn't notice how beautiful "Never to Heaven" was until I properly read the lyrics. There's something very profound about the lyrics "at least i won't have spent my life waiting / looking for God in the clouds of the dawn"...it's very Christopher Hitchens almost--in that he believed that not only did theism do no good to society, but was a waste of time and held humanity back. 

but maybe i'm just projecting my own feelings on to it (although, arguably, that's what poetry is for; to find yourself in side of it)

omg i just looked at the poll and i cant believe how few votes "Never to Heaven" got! Personally I think "Violet Bent Backwards Over Grass" and "Never to Heaven" are the best poems...with "Sportcruiser" being a close 3rd 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

I caved and ordered it, whatever it is.

I did too. The fact that it's not listed as a bundle on the official storefront makes me wonder what it actually is. If it ends up being a cream and possibly another color cassette, then the rarity will make ordering it worth it. If they send me 2 damn cream-colored cassettes, I'll be pissed. Since I wanted an orange vinyl and at this point I can assume it's not happening, I can only hope for an orange cassette edition. So I have officially ordered every single version available of Violet... I have an addiction to LDR :facepalm:

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png