Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

I really didn't notice how beautiful "Never to Heaven" was until I properly read the lyrics. There's something very profound about the lyrics "at least i won't have spent my life waiting / looking for God in the clouds of the dawn"...it's very Christopher Hitchens almost--in that he believed that not only did theism do no good to society, but was a waste of time and held humanity back. 

but maybe i'm just projecting my own feelings on to it (although, arguably, that's what poetry is for; to find yourself in side of it)

omg i just looked at the poll and i cant believe how few votes "Never to Heaven" got! Personally I think "Violet Bent Backwards Over Grass" and "Never to Heaven" are the best poems...with "Sportcruiser" being a close 3rd 

That one is very nice yes.

I see nobody talking about Quiet Waiter though... That might be my favorite, audio-wise, and definitely up there in terms of words. 

I see nobody talking about Quiet Waiter though... That might be my favorite, audio-wise, and definitely up there in terms of words. 

yes!! quiet waiter is so underrated and one of my faves

image.png

I really didn't notice how beautiful "Never to Heaven" was until I properly read the lyrics. There's something very profound about the lyrics "at least i won't have spent my life waiting / looking for God in the clouds of the dawn"...it's very Christopher Hitchens almost--in that he believed that not only did theism do no good to society, but was a waste of time and held humanity back. 

but maybe i'm just projecting my own feelings on to it (although, arguably, that's what poetry is for; to find yourself in side of it)omg i just looked at the poll and i cant believe how few votes "Never to Heaven" got! Personally I think "Violet Bent Backwards Over Grass" and "Never to Heaven" are the best poems...with "Sportcruiser" being a close 3rd

I totally agree! Never to Heaven is actually my favourite in the audiobook because I love her meditations on pondering the nature of existence and favouring “the magic of the nowness” instead. As someone who has also studied philosophy, I really do think that oftentimes, as fulfilling as existential consideration is, it can ultimately feel like we are leading ourselves nowhere and that’s what I love about Never to Heaven - she kind of examines this domestic bliss as a turn away from always questioning things. She truly is such a brilliant and independent thinker.

omg yes that one is amazing too! tbh i forget which poems i like often, bc my iBooks audiobook doesnt have the names of the poems, just track numbers (and since its a locked file, I can't rename the tracks...:(

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

What’s this devotion? You really seem like a good man
Bodies or oceans, I cling to you like your mainland

Quiet Waiter has always been my fave poem from her, and her voice is so soft on it. The music is beautiful and it flows majestically into bartender.

It's so funny how the slight inconvenience of this not being on Spotify leaves me with absolutely no desire to listen to it again (I've only listened once). 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

lana stans trolled the author of that article's twitter and she blocked over 100 of us and went private :lmao:

constructive criticism is fine but this "article" was like 5 paragraphs long and didn't even go in depth...just as i thought, trash!

So it seems that they deleted the podcast of the album in Spotify

it was unofficially/illegally uploaded, i believe 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift