Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

I love Violet but my only concern about it is the fact she claims a bit too much to be a poet, especially on Salamander ( I don't mind it on Sportcruiser though). Salamander is the one I don't like as much: her reading seems a bit too «forced», and the emotions don't feel as sincere as the other poems, even though it contains one of her most memorable quotes to date (My lovemaking is my legacy). I prefer the reading she did on her Insta this weekend to the one we got on Violet. 

And if you asked my sister to describe the first thing she thinks of when she thinks of me

she would say "camp fire smoke"

lol I love her weirdo lines like this

Violet is amazing, I actually like all of the poems. Her poetry is similar to her songwriting but less dramatic and more reflective. She has a unique style. It’s so calming to listen to this, I love it!

Favorites atm: LA Who Am I to Love You, The Land of 1,000 Fires, SportCruiser, My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now, Bare Feet on Linoleum!

I love Violet but my only concern about it is the fact she claims a bit too much to be a poet, especially on Salamander ( I don't mind it on Sportcruiser though). Salamander is the one I don't like as much: her reading seems a bit too «forced», and the emotions don't feel as sincere as the other poems, even though it contains one of her most memorable quotes to date (My lovemaking is my legacy). I prefer the reading she did on her Insta this weekend to the one we got on Violet.

she’s always been very self reflective so it might come across as a little pretentious

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I thought the lana's dramatic voice in salamander was to make the poem more satirical ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It honestly reminded me of the “descent into madness” monologues of 60s horror movies I love it. I really hear it when she says that she’s a real poet

sgopYhV.gif

It honestly reminded me of the “descent into madness” monologues of 60s horror movies I love it. I really hear it when she says that she’s a real poet

Same! I was reminded of Candace Hillgoss's iconic monologue from Carnival of Souls that Lana sampled for 13 Beaches! I loved the extra little character her delivery gave the poem. 

I should mention that recordings can now be submitted for the upcoming Grammy Awards and I assume Lana's audiobook is being submitted by Interscope, so she should be in the running for Spoken Word Album next year.

I am looking at a list of winners from previous years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Spoken_Word_Album

Spoken Word albums of poetry don't seem to be popular in this category. However, Maya Angelou has won twice and is the only poet to win in this category. On the surface it looks like the deck is stacked against Lana, but that is actually not the case. She would have a very real shot at the win if she is nominated. 

Obviously, she has to be nominated first. So that is the first hurdle. 

I am cautiously optimistic as of now.  

fuck the ny post

honestly this album has gotten me to write again. my poetry is finally alive again

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I watched again the video of Salamander yesterday and I noticed how relaxed Lana was reciting the poem. There were certain moments where you could spot a beautiful tender smile, like that of a little girl... I don't know how to explain it, but she gave me such good vibes, as if she were in her own world. And she was happy. I loved it.  :wub:

B01C43A7296444A39131F71DB.jpeg&type=jpeg

fuck the ny post

honestly this album has gotten me to write again. my poetry is finally alive again

Same! I could do my first writing in 7 long months the other day. You can check it out here :) http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/blog/132/entry-1334-first-writing-in-7-months/

Ok but why is there a salamander in her blood

I found this:

"Occasionally,  the Salamander meaning is a message about the need for detoxification. Furthermore, there is something in your life that is poisoning your system. Thus you need to address this, and cleansing is necessary on all levels."

So I bought the audiobook on Google books and all the tracks are listed with just numbers like 1, 2 etc.

Is there a way to rename them so that I know wtf I'm listening to when I play it?? It's so annoying

So I bought the audiobook on Google books and all the tracks are listed with just numbers like 1, 2 etc.

Is there a way to rename them so that I know wtf I'm listening to when I play it?? It's so annoying

unfortunately no because it’s sold as one big file with breaks in the audio for each part so it knows what “chapter” to play. it’s really annoying

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole