Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass  

295 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite poems from "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass?"

• LA Who am I to Love You
    • The Land of 1000 Fires
    • Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass
    • Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving
    • Salamander
    • Never to Heaven
    • Sportcruiser
    • Tessa DiPietro
    • Quiet Waiter Blue Forever
    • What Happened When I Left You
    • Happy
    • My Bedroom is a Sacred Place Now - There are Children at the Foot of My Bed
    • Paradise is Very Fragile
    • Bare Feet on Linoleum

unfortunately no because it’s sold as one big file with breaks in the audio for each part so it knows what “chapter” to play. it’s really annoying

I see :/ thank you anyway :)

Why isn't the audiobook on Spotify and Itunes :facepalm:

The only reason LA Who Am I To Love You is on both platforms is probably to advertise the book because she is a singer. But other than that, all the links her store provides are for audio platforms, not music / streaming ones.

Why isn't the audiobook on Spotify and Itunes :facepalm:

Since most non-charity audiobooks are typically on Spotify, I’d assume it’s because it’s connected to charity, so people have more incentive to purchase it if you can’t stream it for free. But then someone did mention audiobooks hit streaming services a few weeks after they’re released, but again, I doubt it’ll go to streaming since it’s connected to charity.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Sport cruiser is surprisingly my favourite, and the only one I actually might go back to. In sport cruiser we get to hear about her growth, rather than just ramblings, and it's an actual journey with a beginning, middle and end. Plus it makes me think this is half the inspiration behind MAC which I really appreciate.

I think of this one like a diary entry. We actually get to know more about her from this one, and it's inspiring. I'll now want to keep thinking about the wind, like I want to get to know it now. 

I’m still so enchanted with this. I especially love how expressive she is with her voice during Quiet Waiter Blue Forever and What Happened When I Left You. And I love how cryptic and calming the title poem is. And I’m still so in love with Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving, especially when she goes “there you are!”, it just warms my heart so much. Overall, it reminds me of the kind of monologues from classic films, which I could listen to forever. It’s like LA Who Am I To Love You especially has such similar energy to the monologue at the beginning of Valley of the Dolls. And no matter whether people view this project as music or not, Bare Feet on Linoleum could’ve easily closed one of her regular albums and still been a major serve.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Oh my god, I had a beautiful conversation about Violet with my best friend, especially about Salamander, which was our favorite. He's a writer and I'm a musican. We talked about art in general, about being a real poet, an artist of life.

"My thoughts are about nothing, and beautiful, and for free!" (from Salamander)

Artists can make anything look beautiful, emotional, pintoresque... an artst can describe a place and that would be art.

"I love you, but you don't understand me! I'm a real poet

My life is my poetry, my lovemaking is my legacy!" (from Salamander)

Recently, I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, and I've been thinking about this part so much. I don't know why some of you think thing the "I'm a real poet" line is cringey. It's an artist defending herself! I broke up with him (and it was hard as fuck) because we see things very differently, we love differently, we care differently... he felt better than me, superior than me and was constantly evaluating me, comparing me to others. And you know what? I'm a real poet and he's not. I saw beauty in every part of him, I loved everything about him, but he didn't feel that way about me, and he himself confirmed it. My life is beautiful, because I love everything, and I'm able to give all the love I have...

"Captains aren't like poets

They don't make metaphors between sea and sky" (from SportCruiser)

...but I don't want to put the blame on anyone. People are all different. Some are captains, some are fishermen, some are instructors, some are pilots, and some are poets. We all feel differently. 

"Your fingers wiping oil on the paper with precision

With decision like an artist never seen yet with a vision

With a reason"

"Only moving, never thinking"

"Doing nothing but your painting for forever

Forget teachers"

(all from Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving)

This one, oh my god. We talked about his ex, who was constantly complaining about being 23 and not feeling realized regarding money, career, etc. He was afraid of growing up, of studying, of working, of coming out, of living life in general. And we're not. I'm not afraid of being an adult. Time doesn't feel faster than me. You know, people who feel like they're running out of time and are always in a rush are actually slow, they don't follow time, they don't follow the flow. I could go for a ride on my bike all day and it doesn't make me feel like I'm losing time, because I'm an artist with precision, decision, a vision and a reason, and I know that tomorrow I'll get things done. I know who I am and what I want. I live slowly, but surely.

"I'm a dreamer

And I had big dreams for the country
Not for what it could do, but how it could feel
How it could think, how it could dream

I know
Who am I to dream for you?
It’s just that in my own mind
I was born with a little bit of paradise
I was lucky in that way" (from Paradise Is Very Fragile)

An artist's view of politics will, of course, be very different from the rest. Personally, I care a lot about people's feelings. Yes, jobs and money make the world move, but so do happiness, peace and dreams. I want people to be happy, to be comfortable with their lives, no matter what they do. I don't know if I have a real, tangible project, but I for sure know what I can do to make the world a better place, to make people feel better. 

I love this project so much :poordat:

I’ve been thinking about which vinyl to get for weeks now and I think I’ve made up my mind: the picture disk and record store exclusive green one. I hope I won’t regret it lol.

There was no deciding for me, I just bought all of them. I also bought the Tape Deck bundle and I don't even know what I'm getting. My emailed receipt just says 2x Cassettes. I'll be pissed if I get 2 cream colored cassettes, I mean... why have a bundle with the same 2 items?

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

There was no deciding for me, I just bought all of them. I also bought the Tape Deck bundle and I don't even know what I'm getting. My emailed receipt just says 2x Cassettes. I'll be pissed if I get 2 cream colored cassettes, I mean... why have a bundle with the same 2 items?

Ooh, good for you. :) I don’t have the money or the desire to own them all in different formats, haha, but yeah, the tapes better be different colors or it wouldn’t make sense.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Oh my god, I had a beautiful conversation about Violet with my best friend, especially about Salamander, which was our favorite. He's a writer and I'm a musican. We talked about art in general, about being a real poet, an artist of life.

"My thoughts are about nothing, and beautiful, and for free!" (from Salamander)

Artists can make anything look beautiful, emotional, pintoresque... an artst can describe a place and that would be art.

"I love you, but you don't understand me! I'm a real poet

My life is my poetry, my lovemaking is my legacy!" (from Salamander)

Recently, I broke up with my ex-boyfriend, and I've been thinking about this part so much. I don't know why some of you think thing the "I'm a real poet" line is cringey. It's an artist defending herself! I broke up with him (and it was hard as fuck) because we see things very differently, we love differently, we care differently... he felt better than me, superior than me and was constantly evaluating me, comparing me to others. And you know what? I'm a real poet and he's not. I saw beauty in every part of him, I loved everything about him, but he didn't feel that way about me, and he himself confirmed it. My life is beautiful, because I love everything, and I'm able to give all the love I have...

"Captains aren't like poets

They don't make metaphors between sea and sky" (from SportCruiser)

...but I don't want to put the blame on anyone. People are all different. Some are captains, some are fishermen, some are instructors, some are pilots, and some are poets. We all feel differently. 

"Your fingers wiping oil on the paper with precision

With decision like an artist never seen yet with a vision

With a reason"

"Only moving, never thinking"

"Doing nothing but your painting for forever

Forget teachers"

(all from Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving)

This one, oh my god. We talked about his ex, who was constantly complaining about being 23 and not feeling realized regarding money, career, etc. He was afraid of growing up, of studying, of working, of coming out, of living life in general. And we're not. I'm not afraid of being an adult. Time doesn't feel faster than me. You know, people who feel like they're running out of time and are always in a rush are actually slow, they don't follow time, they don't follow the flow. I could go for a ride on my bike all day and it doesn't make me feel like I'm losing time, because I'm an artist with precision, decision, a vision and a reason, and I know that tomorrow I'll get things done. I know who I am and what I want. I live slowly, but surely.

"I'm a dreamer

And I had big dreams for the country

Not for what it could do, but how it could feel

How it could think, how it could dream

I know

Who am I to dream for you?

It’s just that in my own mind

I was born with a little bit of paradise

I was lucky in that way" (from Paradise Is Very Fragile)

An artist's view of politics will, of course, be very different from the rest. Personally, I care a lot about people's feelings. Yes, jobs and money make the world move, but so do happiness, peace and dreams. I want people to be happy, to be comfortable with their lives, no matter what they do. I don't know if I have a real, tangible project, but I for sure know what I can do to make the world a better place, to make people feel better. 

I love this project so much :poordat:

You explained this so well, thank you!

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

wasn't super crazy about violet upon first listen, but I've now listened 3 times and it's really hard not to fall in love with. the way she says every word is just magical. props to Jack as well.

giphy.gif

just listened to violet + NFR! put together (alternating between tracks in a playlist) and wow... she has to have done this intentionally. like... there are so many connections between the poems and songs that are next to each other.

giphy.gif

Because there aren’t audiobooks on Spotify and Apple music

Ehm... there are? I buy all my audiobooks on Itunes usually.

cause its a book and not music why is this concept so hard to grasp

I have literally over 15 audiobooks saved in my spotify, bought several audiobooks on Itunes.... What's so hard to grasp.  :um: