Sign in to follow this  
JamiDelRey

The Last of Us & Last of Us Part 2

I have no idea if this thread has already been made or not (I searched and couldn’t find anything) but I was wondering if any gamers out there have played/enjoyed The Last of Us and the newly released Part II? It is honestly one of my all time favorite games and I spent a full 15 hours in a row pulling an all nighter to finish the 2nd game and I absolutely LOVE the way the story ended up going... there’s lots of controversy surrounding this 2nd title but honestly (aside from the creators having to “crunch” cause that’s fucked up in any game company) all the B.S. people give this game is so uncalled for. (I mean look at the difference between user/critic scored on MC) 

5.11.14 // 9.20.14 // 6.11.15 // 6.13.15 // 6.14.15 // 1.26.18 // 9.21.19

FANTASTIC taste.

The Last of Us Part 2 is probably the greatest narrative game I've ever played. From Seattle Day 3 onwards, the relentless emotional scenes packed one after the other meant I had to take a few breaks. I was clawing at my face during the cut scenes. 

I wrote this in the general video games thread but I only played Part One last month, and I thought it was great but not really exceptional (not the game's fault - I think it's a product of it's time and the whole 'loss via apocalypse' premise is pretty common now). But I was totally blown away by Part 2 and I liked it a lot more. The narrative is absolutely stunning, the character writing is amazing and I can't believe how they literally get you to empathise with both leads. I literally recoiled in horror when it looked like 

Spoiler

Abby was about strangle Ellie to death and then kill Dina, and when Ellie almost drowned Abby at the end

It's scary and sad how much it feels like it could be real. The cruel relentlessness and emptiness that comes with seeking revenge, but maybe even scarier is how selfish human nature is. It made me feel really uneasy with we saw how factions rose up, only to cannibalise each other - I'd like to think humans aren't so selfish but considering this pandemic with basic things like panic buying/hoarding alone, it's pretty scary and grim to predict what might happen in the future . . .

:horror:

The hate it gets yeah, just fragile masculinity shining through as normal - and people bitching that they couldn't play as Joel. It was so necessary to not play as him because if it wasn't there the game would be essentially the same as the first time, and the mirrored quest for revenge wouldn't work at all. It's also a fuckin' ballsy move and is amazing how blinded you are trying to get to that end goal. 

I still think about the ending and the game weeks after I finished it. I want everyone to experience the story. 

3lfQEhw.png

UGH I didn't know if a thread like this existed previously but I'm so glad you made it because...I love this series a lot. 

Like SO much. I remember renting it from Redbox the day it came out because I didn't have the money to afford it at the time as I was a teenager lmao. This game has really shaped me as a person to this day (as cliche or weird as fuck it is to say), and it helped...fill a void I had in my chest. I saw and see myself in Ellie and to see someone come into themselves due to their surroundings was really beautiful. And her relationship with Joel really made me long to have that father figure I so dearly missed, but in a way, turning on the game and playing it really made me feel like I had one. Also, having a lesbian as the main character is so fucking great. I love that we're finally getting the visibility and representation that we fucking deserve :crying4:

I love post-apocalyptic media but everything about the game itself is so beautiful. The scenery, the characters, the storyline - it's amazing. Definitely glad that I've played it and invested so much time and energy into this series because FUCK, man. 

I haven't finished Part 2 (mostly because it takes me months to finish games like these ujdjskjs the anxiety of making decisions and not wasting my resources...it's ridiculous) but I know the entire storyline. I definitely understand some of the criticisms of the game, but I don't think all of them are valid. I'm excited to stop being a little pussy bitch and finish the game lmao even though I know I have more crying over fictional characters ahead of me <3

On 8/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, peach perfume said:

Also, having a lesbian as the main character is so fucking great. I love that we're finally getting the visibility and representation that we fucking deserve :crying4:

I thought that was great, plus handled tastefully and hardly 'in-yer-face' about it. I also thought Lev was a terrific addition - I see people either 1) accusing ND of including a trans character as a political agenda or 2) taking offence that the story was written by a non-trans actor. For both points, it doesn't impact on the story at all, and Lev was also voiced and motion captured by a trans actor that approved the script, and it's not as though it wasn't written in careful consultation. And at the very least, it's a really important step forward in representation in what is usually a very cis/hetero dominated landscape, so even an incremental inclusion is going to help shift the norm of the usual boring binary expectation (same applies to a muscular, strong woman like Abby). 

3lfQEhw.png

Okay, I finished these games a couple weeks ago and I'm still fucked up by the end of part 2

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole