Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: Tentatively Out December 10th, 2020/January 7th, 2021

I think when Lana says “country” it’s more about the mood and narrative than genre - kind of like how NFR doesn’t necessarily have a late ‘60s/early ‘70s Laurel Canyon sound the whole way through but definitely evokes the headspace of that time and place; same with how Honeymoon isn’t necessarily jazz, but has elements of jazz with certain instrumental ornamentations and the abstract lyricism/vocal stylings. 

Her being in the Midwest and inspired by the culture of Oklahoma will probably manifest itself into a more unfiltered narrative with lyrical references to country (like how “Tulsa Jesus Freak” with its title alone evokes a classic country archetype, let alone references to Arkansas and the other potential themes we will hear in the track); plus, sometimes Lana gets into a bit of a Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton-esque country “twang” with her vocals, particularly on Cruel World, some of her unreleased tracks from 2006 to 2008 and often during live performances, so I think if you’re into the more eccentric and raw side of Lana, the issue of “country music” shouldn’t really come up. It’s not all perceived “trashy” anthems about drinking beer, conservatism, or androcentric stances on women. 

Someone on here said that when they read “‘midwestern-sounding record”, they thought of Bruce Springsteen, and I couldn’t agree more (if that was you, please quote this and let me know)! I would love that classic, all-American sound with those roots-rock-y guitars and an overall anthemic atmosphere. When I read about “Dealer” I immediately thought of “Dazed and Confused” by Led Zeppelin, which Lana was listening to on her IG story back in July! 

Jack also said that the record would break down in different directions; I personally think we’ll see that manifested into more contemporary tracks with heavier beats (TJF, title track), mixed with more introspective but also outlandish “new-age folk” songs (LMLYLAW, White Dress/Waitress), and some more guitar-driven, eccentric, unfiltered songs (Dealer), all kind of wrapped up in really stark storytelling and references that are characteristic of the classic era of country music, which was the ‘60s and ‘70s. 

This record looks so promising and knowing Lana, it certainly won’t disappoint! :wub:

2 minutes ago, stan wayamaya said:

I think the way that she said “Oh god, could it be country,” (or something along those lines) in the interview means that it didn’t turn out to be country and she was just adding in that tidbit to show how many different directions the record could have gone in.

The way I interpreted it was that she was referring to NFR as being more folky in some of its elements, and that folk thing she had going on for Norman has evolved into a more country thing for this album. Norman has some slight folk influences so I’d assume this album will have some slight country influences. It’s not like we’re gonna get yee yee tractor trailer stuff - I think she means more like TJF: the lyrics, themes and storytelling 

I feel like her 'country' record would be more twangy, folk-like and acoustic than country which could be great. at first thought i think of a lot of AKA (Oh say can you see, for k part 2, raise me up, pawn shop blues), some of the guitar work on BTD (blue jeans, radio), and songs like chelsea hotel no 2, sad girl, god knows i tried, tomorrow never came, mariners apartment complex, season of the witch. A lot of these are some really great songs

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

6 minutes ago, new gods said:

she wanted honeymoon to be edm at first i think,, she never sticks with her first concept

I'm imagining the title track randomly having a cheap edm drop right after the verse :thumb3:

aka and btd have a lot of country elements imo

million dollar man is almost like a jazzy western saloon type song with some folk/country guitars and piano, her vocals even have that exaggerated twang when she sings one for the money/i love you honey

I'm ready for Lana to give me a country album. I don't understand the hate country music gets, it's really beautiful (ofc there are hits and misses within the genre, as any) 

♛ catch a wave, and take in the sweetness ♛

2 minutes ago, JehovahThikness said:

MAC has some alt-country influences in it and if the album is full of that we really won 

shhhh the mere idea of an album full of MACs is enough to make my heart explode 

♛ catch a wave, and take in the sweetness ♛

It’s not gonna be country it’s gonna be psychedelic rock. Everyone join hands and MANIFEST 

:nails::clapback::krylie: NOW

“YOUR NAME IS SUN CHILD!!!! BYE.... your real name probably maylee and i just know you look like a cabbage patch doll..white pasty boring straight tennessee fat bitch. GET A GRIP” - Jesus

I just read about the origin of Country and it were immigrants coming together on Saturday to play music together with all sorts of influences

Since Lana and Jack talked about how she connected with artists she likes, it might be what direction COtCC has taken.

She also looks very glam western in the announcement video on IG

Yes, it's true, I live for you

I’d be thrilled if Lana did do a country album at some point. 

Country music would embrace her in a heartbeat. 

I listen to Country music all the time as I have SiriusXM in my Subaru and it’s great to listen to on long drives in the desert. So if this latest album is a step towards country and if Lana goes full country at some later date that would be interesting. 

Lana herself is authentic and Country music just so happens to be the most authentic musical genre right now, so this could be an ideal match. 

I don't think Lana will do a country album because she doesn't really know how to stick to only a genre (and I'm glad). Every album of hers is very different but while being cohesive (ones more than others) they always have a lot of mixed genres in them. I guess a country inspired album or an album with some "country" songs would be more likely 

giphy.gif