Elle

Lana interviewed by Jack Antonoff for Interview Magazine - September 2020

What’s insane is that the pandemic has brought up all of these mental health crises and domestic crises that were always there, that I always sang about, that people had so much to say about in terms of, “She’s just feigning emotional fragility.” And it’s like, “Well, not really. You’re feigning emotional togetherness despite the fact that you’re a wack-job Monday through Friday.”

The way she dragged her tasteless critics :scajo2:

Go Lana go!

Drags incoming but that's never stopped me before, so

I'm not a huge fan of artists interviewing other artists because such interviews tend to turn into mutual backscratching, and I am not sure if that's the reason, but I think she comes off as quite arrogant in parts of this.

I really don't like this:

Del Rey: They do. Every ex I have, every girlfriend I have, every family member I have, even the ones I don’t speak to (:oic2:)– they know the ins and outs of why I sometimes catch sheer panic out of nowhere. I can even say to some of them, “It’s related to you. You fucked me over.”

Antonoff: Do you say that?

Del Rey: Yeah, I’ll say, “Today was a bad day and it’s because of you, and I don’t even know you anymore.” I don’t necessarily think there’s much value in doing that – it’s just what’s true. I don’t ever feel bad for saying to someone, “I’m having a panic attack because of what you’ve done.” That’s black-belt life, like 3.0. What’s insane is that the pandemic has brought up all of these mental health crises and domestic crises that were always there, that I always sang about, that people had so much to say about in terms of, “She’s just feigning emotional fragility.” And it’s like, “Well, not really. You’re feigning emotional togetherness despite the fact that you’re a wack-job Monday through Friday.”

This just comes across to me as her shirking any kind of personal responsibility in interpersonal relationships and blaming the other person.

The whole thing has a tone that I don't like, and she literally says several times, "I know I'm right/was right". That's not to say she's wrong about everything, but Question for the Culture was a disaster so to act like she's some sort of genius who has human behaviour and existence all worked out is ... not it. I suppose this is her doubling-down on that, again?

Del Rey: You and I are exactly the same. We know everything that’s going on and we have no fucking clue how we know it. It’s not like we’re ever asking anyone for gossip.

:oopna2:

Like does she think other people don't think about this?

But I was right to ask, “Why are we here? Where did we come from? What are we doing? What happens if this insane, crazy, sci-fi crisis happens, and then you’re stuck with yourself, and you’re stuck with your partner who doesn’t pay attention to you?” I’m not saying it’s more relevant than ever, but my concern for myself, the country, the world – I knew we weren’t prepared for something like this, mentally.

With all that said, the parts where she talks about the music are good. Idk how I feel about COCC mentioning her girlfriends but that is, of course, her prerogative. I suppose that's why Chunk and Charlie are in the mv, because she said it also mentions her siblings.

Idk what she's talking about when she says she's going to have to raise her dogs, cats and chickens on her own, because she is never single ... ever? What is she talking about? Also why would anyone be surprised that she actually writes? That's literally her job.

Anyway, to end on a positive note, I hope it's delayed because she's putting "Dealer" in and making sure she's 100% happy with COCC before releasing it.

ETA: I also like this comment by Jack

Antonoff: Do you know what my favorite line in ‘Violet’ is? You say this things about how you can go to the beach with your girlfriends and they don’t know that you’re crazy. You say, “I can do that.” There’s something about that line that gives me a sense of freedom, like it’s a mantra for artists in general, or people who don’t feel like they’re living the same experience as other people. When I hear you say it, I immediately think to myself, “Maybe I should just go shopping for shirts, or get a new vacuum and spend two hours zipping around my house.” It’s almost like you’ve given this call to artists: “Just do these things and no one has to know you’re crazy.” I think that’s the deeper story behind both ‘Norman’ and ‘Chemtrails’. If I had to find the thread, it’s this person who’s trying to do things like everyone else does them, but not pretending to be everyone else.

That's one of my favourite lines, too, and I feel like it links back to the intro of 13 Beaches.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I guess it makes sense that she reacted to the backlash earlier this year the way that she did if she thinks that singing about being crazy a hundred times over is equivalent to singing about domestic crises? All of her vaguely "political" songs delve into a very isolated focus at some point, focusing on just her feelings with the real world stuff just as a catalyst and not the focus at all, which is why I maintain that they're not political songs - she never gives a real point of view. And that's fine because that's how a lot of people feel and it's part of why people are drawn to her. But trying to claim that she "knew we weren't ready" and had been singing about it for years? I really think she thinks she's this generations Bob Dylan from how much she brings him up in relation to her and I don't think she'll really be of much interest to me for as long as she continues blowing up her own ego. Especially when she reacts to people's pain with god bless and fuck off. Glad we got some insight on the album, and thank you to Elle for writing this up, but she's becoming more and more of a warning against resting on your own laurels and surrounding yourself with yesmen. 

locals only

I subscribe to the idea that what’s going on in the macrocosm, whether it be in the presidency or a virus that keeps us isolated, is a reflection of what’s going on in the individual home and inside bedrooms and what people intimately talk about. I think there’s been existential panic for a long time, but people haven’t been paying attention to it because they’ve been too busy buying shoes. And shoes are cute. I love shoes. But now that you can’t go shopping, you have to look at your partner and be like, “I’ve lived with you for 20 years, but do I even know you?” You realize maybe you’ve only every allowed yourself to scratch the surface of yourself because if you went any deeper, you might have a mild meltdown for no reason, just out of the blue, and no amount of talking could explain why. It’s just a part of your genetic makeup. You could just be prone to panic. I think a lot of people are that way"

SPOT ON!!!!

Also......we really need the song "dealer" but in pretty sure we wont! :defeated:

26 minutes ago, drippingbeaches said:

Omg that was such a great article, thank you elle!!

Also does anyone know when this magazine comes out?

Someone said that they saw 50 copies in the shop so it’s out apparently. 

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

I guess it makes sense that she reacted to the backlash earlier this year the way that she did if she thinks that singing about being crazy a hundred times over is equivalent to singing about domestic crises? All of her vaguely "political" songs delve into a very isolated focus at some point, focusing on just her feelings with the real world stuff just as a catalyst and not the focus at all, which is why I maintain that they're not political songs - she never gives a real point of view. And that's fine because that's how a lot of people feel and it's part of why people are drawn to her. But trying to claim that she "knew we weren't ready" and had been singing about it for years? I really think she thinks she's this generations Bob Dylan from how much she brings him up in relation to her and I don't think she'll really be of much interest to me for as long as she continues blowing up her own ego. Especially when she reacts to people's pain with god bless and fuck off. Glad we got some insight on the album, and thank you to Elle for writing this up, but she's becoming more and more of a warning against resting on your own laurels and surrounding yourself with yesmen. 

this interview is so bat shit i can’t believe it’s actually on paper printed out. as the years past, the more i think L wasn’t supposed to be famous...

who knows how she’ll be seen in the future though 

14 minutes ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

"Blowing up her own ego" is exactly the main impression I got from this article. Even if I enjoyed the parts where she discusses music or some aspects regarding daily life, the fact that her and Jack act as if they were some kind of omniscent genius bugs me off. Lana talks as she's eaten all the stuff the critics said about her last year ("a laureate poet of a world on fire" or whatever), and Im happy that she acknowledges she is talented, but what made me feel close to her since I knew her was how foot-on-earth she was, and how self-aware of her ignorance on some topics she seemed to be too, as it seemed to push her to explore deeper from her artistic perspective. She's always had a quite intuitive way to approach to reality, even if not always educated, she's always been good intentioned and sharp in her own ways, and I've always appreciated that honesty a lot. Now reading her talking about how she thinks she knows about everything while dropping the comment on how people will look more on genetics to know about their psychological issues... She obviously isnt aware still, at her 35 years, that most people in the world arent ruminating at their LA mansions about the "culture", but facing huge structural problematics related to the possibility and struggle to materially survive, and that mental health may have a lot more to with that than with intuitive healers or whatever she thinks she knows and we dont.

She's definetly eccentric and has a quite egotic and privileged way to look at the world, and I guess that may be part of her enchantment as weird and genial as she is. Not genial on the omniscently way she thinks she is, but in the confusing, sensitive and beautiful sense I think she gets to approach to the world.

She's random, clumsy and very smart too. Truly wanting to listen to whatever she's been working on.

Is it serious that there's people criticizing her for this interview?

Gosh, sometimes it seems i'm in a hater boards. I read a lot of the stuff here from when she posted that letter on Instagram, and it was HORRIBLE to see how much you guys criticized her.

shades-of-cool-GIFS-lana-del-rey-3722791

3 minutes ago, Dreamboy said:

Is it serious that there's people criticizing her for this interview?

Gosh, sometimes it seems i'm in a hater boards. I read a lot of the stuff here from when she posted that letter on Instagram, and it was HORRIBLE to see how much you guys criticized her.

God forbid people criticise her I guess. 

locals only

I’m just screaming my head off. People don’t know what it sounds like when I yell. And I do yell.

raising my dogs and my cats and my chickens alone. It’s going to be work.

I laughed a lot reading these parts:lmao:

1 hour ago, RormanNockwell said:

This just comes across to me as her shirking any kind of personal responsibility in interpersonal relationships and blaming the other person.

The whole thing has a tone that I don't like, and she literally says several times, "I know I'm right/was right".

38 minutes ago, sjatib said:

"Blowing up her own ego" is exactly the main impression I got from this article.

Right, I didn't expect her to say these kind of things but now that I think about it, lately she often uses this tone like she's way ahead of everyone and I wonder where that comes from. It's a good thing to talk about her talent, but I don't think it's really healthy when it comes to the point that she puts herself on a pedestal, and this also with the sentence that really feels like "I tell the other person when she fucks me up because it's their fault that I'm fucked up". I mean, unless she's talking about abuse, I think it's not the healthiest way to approach relationships.

It's a really interesting interview by the way! I really hope more will come out and that she can get through what she's going trough in the best way possible

✧・゚:* ヽ(*・ω・)ノ*:・゚✧

1 hour ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

I really think she thinks she's this generations Bob Dylan from how much she brings him up in relation to her and I don't think she'll really be of much interest to me for as long as she continues blowing up her own ego. Especially when she reacts to people's pain with god bless and fuck off.

I don't really remember her doing this, for real. Examples?

shades-of-cool-GIFS-lana-del-rey-3722791

10 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

@Elle I just wanna say that it’s amazing how you transcribed this interview when we only got pictures of it - that takes true dedication and it doesn’t go unnoticed :kiss: you’re the best. 

Thank you for the kind words! :smile2: I do my best for you all xx

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS