Elle

Lana interviewed by Jack Antonoff for Interview Magazine - September 2020

3 minutes ago, Dreamboy said:

Is it serious that there's people criticizing her for this interview?

Gosh, sometimes it seems i'm in a hater boards. I read a lot of the stuff here from when she posted that letter on Instagram, and it was HORRIBLE to see how much you guys criticized her.

God forbid people criticise her I guess. 

6 minutes ago, Dreamboy said:

I don't really remember her doing this, for real. Examples?

right at the end xx

locals only

Love two new song titles but jesus christ

This interview is literally Lana just rimming herself, and jack joining in

I mean they could only ever have that dynamic because Lana would have nothing to do with him otherwise, but still

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

I think she's indirectly addressing the issue of criticism all the time bc it's something she's been keeping to herself all this years and she's not over it yet. Tbh i don't see the bad thing about it at all. It's her story, we don't really know how much that has been affecting her through the years or whatever so. Anyways, I can't see how she's putting herself on a pedestal or talking as if she was some kind of god? I mean she shows her privilege sometimes but imo she said she knows she was always right about the unfair criticcism and all that stuff. They just talked about the issues going on right now and music and normal things? she gave us news about the album, she released an album last year, a poetry book these past months, a new album this month, another book next year... i'm not saying she can't be criticized by us, but I think that sometimes the overanalysis of her words leads to conclusions that are not entirely correct in my opinion and there's always something that bothers someone... but that's personal and I'm not to go into that too much further. It's just that i can't see how she's being arrogant or putting herself on a pedestal as some of y'all say.

I'm getting a lot of: "Why is she not depressed, why is she feeling confident?" vibes from some comments here. How dare she and Jack like each other and feel good about what they're working on. 

I don’t understand how she still believes, that she’s an underdog? I‘d say that with LFL that has changed dramatically. She’s been acknowledged as inspiration by a lot of other big artists. So this is something what makes her seem to blow up her ego as others have rightfully said. Nonetheless I can’t wait for the album and loved the parts about the music.

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

6 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

I'm getting a lot of: "Why is she not depressed, why is she feeling confident?" vibes from some comments here. How dare she and Jack like each other and feel good about what they're working on. 

And not even that... she literally said she's not doing okay and she still feels like an underdog so how's that a superiority complex :_

5 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that getting the response of "you just want her to be depressed" is so, so tiring. I don't. But I also know that casting yourself in some curse-of-cassandra role, blaming other people entirely, constantly thinking of yourself as a victim of society and "the culture" and never questioning yourself, your motives, your actions, and whether you're right about things isn't a sign of happiness. She literally says in the interview "I don't feel like I'm doing okay. I just know now that I'm always right." That isn't a sign of someone getting better or "being confident", and from the fact she goes on to talk about the virus and trump and stuff she isn't just talking about women singing sexually or whatever (which she also absolutely did not invent). She's projecting out a shit ton, which again she says nearly verbatim. If you read this and came away thinking that she's just happy and confident I really don't know what to say other than maybe read it again. 

3 minutes ago, irvnex said:

And not even that... she literally said she's not doing okay and she still feels like an underdog so how's that a superiority complex :_

It's not unheard of for people to think of themselves both as a victim and as a mega-genius. The two go very much hand in hand. 

locals only

6 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

That isn't what anyone has said at all. It's the fact that she speaks as if she has a level of awareness about everything which eludes mere mortals.

She's obviously very talented and successful, but this interview seems to be a prime example of letting it go to one's head.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

3 minutes ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that getting the response of "you just want her to be depressed" is so, so tiring. I don't. But I also know that casting yourself in some curse-of-cassandra role, blaming other people entirely, constantly thinking of yourself as a victim of society and "the culture" and never questioning yourself, your motives, your actions, and whether you're right about things isn't a sign of happiness. She literally says in the interview "I don't feel like I'm doing okay. I just know now that I'm always right." That isn't a sign of someone getting better or "being confident", and from the fact she goes on to talk about the virus and trump and stuff she isn't just talking about women singing sexually or whatever (which she also absolutely did not invent). She's projecting out a shit ton, which again she says nearly verbatim. If you read this and came away thinking that she's just happy and confident I really don't know what to say other than maybe read it again. 

It's not unheard of for people to think of themselves both as a victim and as a mega-genius. The two go very much hand in hand. 

I know, i'm not saying she's always right or that she was right on the way she spoke with the culture post. But when she talks about her story, as i said, we don't know how that has affected her through the years, actually it seems that it's been affecting her a lot since she can't let it go, but i think when it comes to her story she has all the rights to be upset about it. I don't think she considers herself as a mega genius, reading a lot of interviews from her since the start i don't think she's never talked about herself as some kind of god, but the opposite. So i think now she's only saying that all that criticism has been unfair and she's always been right for thinking that way, at least that's what i get from her words.

2 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

her and kanye have too much in common

kanye and lana are musical geniuses, so they can afford the luxury.

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

I should have elaborated that I specifically wanted to touch on the Lana and Jack kissing each other's asses thing. Because of course she's feeling good about her art, otherwise she wouldn't release it and little details obviously mean a great deal to her which is why she was pondering about the Dealer song. 

And while I get that she is "making herself a victim" in some cases I really think that sometimes she DOES get unrightfully criticized for every little thing. Not only by critics but also by fans. She has thousands of people telling her: "you should be more like this and that" while not knowing her through anything than what is online. so who are we to tell her that her feeling this way is invalid? Like: You're a millionaire, why do you feel like a victim? It bugs me when people project this image onto her because of her status. She still has her own feelings and emotions. And I doubt everyone in real life perceives you exactly the way you perceive yourself. If she doesnt see herself that way, if she feels like an underdog then that is her thing and idk why everyone has to ride around on that so much. We dont get to tell her how to feel. 

1 minute ago, baddisease said:

kanye and lana are musical geniuses, so they can afford the luxury.

A genius that doesn't view writing as a craft but as something that just comes to your brain half-formed and perfect on the basis of it being hers... right. 

locals only

1 minute ago, Ryusei said:

I should have elaborated that I specifically wanted to touch on the Lana and Jack kissing each other's asses thing. Because of course she's feeling good about her art, otherwise she wouldn't release it and little details obviously mean a great deal to her which is why she was pondering about the Dealer song. 

And while I get that she is "making herself a victim" in some cases I really think that sometimes she DOES get unrightfully criticized for every little thing. Not only by critics but also by fans so who are we to tell her that her feeling this way is invalid? Like: You're a millionaire, why do you feel like a victim? It bugs me when people project this image onto her because of her status. She still has her own feelings and emotions. And I doubt everyone in real life perceives you exactly the way you perceive yourself. If she doesnt see herself that way, if she feels like an underdog then that is her thing and idk why everyone has to ride around on that so much. We dont get to tell her how to feel. 

I'm not trying to tell her how to feel, which is why I'm writing this all on lanaboards instead of in an angry email or something. How "valid" her feelings are is of literally no interest to me. I think it's a joke that she calls herself an underdog and then plays with her fans about the release date of her album because she knows they'll buy it anyway. Refusing to listen to any type of criticism is never a good sign in an artist. Her calling out Kanye in that comment and in her song is starting to look much more like projection than any valid concerns. She can feel however she wants and she doesn't need my permission to feel it. But equally I don't need her permission to think that she sounds like a self-absorbed yuppie with both a god and a victim complex. 

locals only