Elle

Lana interviewed by Jack Antonoff for Interview Magazine - September 2020

1 hour ago, sjatib said:

"Blowing up her own ego" is exactly the main impression I got from this article. Even if I enjoyed the parts where she discusses music or some aspects regarding daily life, the fact that her and Jack act as if they were some kind of omniscent genius bugs me off. Lana talks as she's eaten all the stuff the critics said about her last year ("a laureate poet of a world on fire" or whatever), and Im happy that she acknowledges she is talented, but what made me feel close to her since I knew her was how foot-on-earth she was, and how self-aware of her ignorance on some topics she seemed to be too, as it seemed to push her to explore deeper from her artistic perspective. She's always had a quite intuitive way to approach to reality, even if not always educated, she's always been good intentioned and sharp in her own ways, and I've always appreciated that honesty a lot. Now reading her talking about how she thinks she knows about everything while dropping the comment on how people will look more on genetics to know about their psychological issues... She obviously isnt aware still, at her 35 years, that most people in the world arent ruminating at their LA mansions about the "culture", but facing huge structural problematics related to the possibility and struggle to materially survive, and that mental health may have a lot more to with that than with intuitive healers or whatever she thinks she knows and we dont.

She's definetly eccentric and has a quite egotic and privileged way to look at the world, and I guess that may be part of her enchantment as weird and genial as she is. Not genial on the omniscently way she thinks she is, but in the confusing, sensitive and beautiful sense I think she gets to approach to the world.

She's random, clumsy and very smart too. Truly wanting to listen to whatever she's been working on.

"She's random, clumsy and very smart too."

Excellent description of her. She does come off as very self aware and totally clueless sometimes. I guess we all are. You don't know what you don't know.

Elle thanks for posting this, I hope it doesn't violate anything reprinting all this. Don't worry we'll protect you!

3 minutes ago, baddisease said:

if all you people hate how lana thinks, why are y'all on LANAboards?

Some people just love to be offended and SJW culture actively encourages those tendencies. It's dumb but at the end of the day they are wasting their time being mad over things that really don't matter. There is nothing wrong with anything that she has said in this interview.

2 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Some people just love to be offended and SJW culture actively encourages those tendencies. It's dumb but at the end of the day they are wasting their time being mad over things that really don't matter. There is nothing wrong with anything that she has said in this interview.

Blaming "SJW culture" for people not being sychophants, I really have to laugh. 

locals only

White Dress/Waitress
Dealer (?)

Told yall she would give us new titles oof this is exciting and the pics looks gorgeous as always

:trisha:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

2 minutes ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

Blaming "SJW culture" for people not being sychophants, I really have to laugh. 

You don't have to be a sycophant to see that whining about how Lana has always been on Lanaboards is...wild.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Creyk said:

Lmao where is anyone here offended? It's been a civil discourse if anything. Users have pointed out things that they don't agree with and also things they've liked about the interview. That's how criticism works. I'm sorry, but I am not going to kiss anyone's ass, that's just completely wrong. I find it actually weird, that there are some here more concerned about what other users disagree with?

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

18 minutes ago, baddisease said:

You don't have to be a sycophant to see that whining about how Lana has always been on Lanaboards is...wild.

No, this superior attitude of hers is definitely new.  

I can never understand why people get soooo pressed when people criticise her. You actually can be both a fan AND critical of some of her words and actions. 

Props to the people who actually construct counter arguments instead of the blanket "u R a H8eR aNd I dOn'T lIKe iT" nonsense. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I definitely feel like her ego got just a little bit too big to be healthy recently... still enjoyed the interview. The part about her wondering if COCC is "new folk or country" worries me though. I could make it through a folk record but country would be my worst nightmare, I'd rather have her doing death metal omg

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

Anyways, tbh we all have the right to have an opinion and voice it out. From all the stuff you said, big ego/superiority I mean it's your take on the interview so yeah. 

But what I really dislike is when you say stuff like she's arrogant when she talks about her family. We don't know the background and do you love every member of yours? 'Cause personally I hate most of mine so in a way, without knowing what went through with her, I really get her. Especially that part where she says some of them are the reason for her panic attacks/anxiety and she's right for being "arrogant" when talking about them. 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I don't get so much of an "intellectually superior" vibe as much as a generalized depressive vibe. 

When she says stuff like: 
>>>'But I was right to ask, “Why are we here? Where did we come from? What are we doing? What happens if this insane, crazy, sci-fi crisis happens, and then you’re stuck with yourself, and you’re stuck with your partner who doesn’t pay attention to you?'<<<

It's kind of interesting (and encouraging?) that her church-life isn't mentioned as something that is even relevant here. I think she uses church as a social situation (e.g. looking for a compatible partner).

When she says her songs are about something, or have always been about something, I think she means this:
>>>Del Rey: Yeah, I’ll say, “Today was a bad day and it’s because of you, and I don’t even know you anymore.” I don’t necessarily think there’s much value in doing that – it’s just what’s true. I don’t ever feel bad for saying to someone, “I’m having a panic attack because of what you’ve done.” That’s black-belt life, like 3.0. What’s insane is that the pandemic has brought up all of these mental health crises and domestic crises that were always there, that I always sang about, that people had so much to say about in terms of, “She’s just feigning emotional fragility.” And it’s like, “Well, not really. You’re feigning emotional togetherness despite the fact that you’re a wack-job Monday through Friday.”<<<

>>>"I’m not saying it’s more relevant than ever, but my concern for myself, the country, the world – I knew we weren’t prepared for something like this, mentally."<<<

I kind of agree with her for the U.S. I mean going from Obama to Trump kind of proves this. However, the idea (expressed before this) that the "macrocosm" is "a reflection of what’s going on in the individual home and inside bedrooms and what people intimately talk about", is not intellectually defended, regardless of her "subscribing" to it. So here's a thought: why not try to defend that, and if you fail, why not reject that. She views her panic as "genetic" so maybe this is a futile tactic.

I like the fact that she's super-sensitive about the worth of a melody in her song-writing craft. I'm just a little weirded out that she did not elect to co-write the background music in Violets..., but preferred to have Jack go nuts to it (which I'm waiting on the CD to assess, but apparently he did good). This is just my personal bias of wanting her to act more like a "composer", but maybe in the case of her poems she just didn't want the music to get in the way of (her concentration of)  the words.

Her best interview in a LONG time. It really made me realize how her music and artistry isn't the sole thing that keeps me following her. It's HER. Fuck, she's just fascinating. The way she talks, the way she thinks. Like someone else said, yeah she's clumsy as hell but I fucking love it. The way she talks, it's like it's coming straight from her mind, unfiltered. It's all like a stream of consciousness. I just find her utterly fascinating. And she's always introducing me to new, fancy words so there's that :rip: 

7 minutes ago, sweetlikecinnam0n said:

Anyways, tbh we all have the right to have an opinion and voice it out. From all the stuff you said, big ego/superiority I mean it's your take on the interview so yeah. 

But what I really dislike is when you say stuff like she's arrogant when she talks about her family. We don't know the background and do you love every member of yours? 'Cause personally I hate most of mine so in a way, without knowing what went through with her, I really get her. Especially that part where she says some of them are the reason for her panic attacks/anxiety and she's right for being "arrogant" when talking about them. 

Yeah that part resonated with me as well. I think many of us have siblings or friends like that who can be hurtful to our mental health without realizing it . So kudos to Lana for telling them. 

-Homeland of the Gods-