Elle

Lana interviewed by Jack Antonoff for Interview Magazine - September 2020

39 minutes ago, UltraviolenceBaby said:

some of these harsh hating shitty coments make me think im not really in somewhere that supposed to have her “fans”

some of you are really really toxic like wtf is wrong with you

How do you get toxicity from normal criticism? The only people making a genuine issue out of this are you guys, angry that people disagree with what lana says 

Ok, so some of my thoughts:

• When is “this month”?? When is the magazine supposed to be out?? September?? October??
  • YES ADD “DEALER” TO THE TRACKLIST AND GIVE ME THE SCREAMO SONG I’VE BEEN CRAVING SINCE 2017!! :omg:
  • As we’ve been suspecting already, COCC most likely has country vibes. :awkney: Not a genre I’m too excited about. But hey, Stupid for feeling so happy sounded like a sweet song! Not one I’m craving exactly, but cute nonetheless. It’ll be interesting to hear how she mentions her friends and family.
  • Loved that they gave us some more info about the album, thank you.
  • She’s been mentioning cats before but she has chickens too? I’ve totally missed that.
  • I love Lana because her music is just genius and so beautiful to me. She definitely deserved the praise for Norman. But I think it gets dangerous to think that you’re the best and always knows what’s right - if you know what’s right for you, great.
  • Also worrying about the “I’m feeling really bad because of you” mentality. I mean, it’s good that she has the courage to tell what’s bothering her but you can’t always say it’s someone else’s fault and never yours. Maybe you did something that made them behave in such a way that it’s hurting you? I don’t know, I try to see things form different points of views and understand people’s opinions. It seems a bit too easy to just point fingers and say “you made me like this”. I imagine it must be very hard to hear “you’re wrong, I’m right, look at how you’ve hurt me” from someone you care about deeply.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

21 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

• Also worrying about the “I’m feeling really bad because of you” mentality. I mean, it’s good that she has the courage to tell what’s bothering her but you can’t always say it’s someone else’s fault and never yours. Maybe you did something that made them behave in such a way that it’s hurting you? I don’t know, I try to see things form different points of views and understand people’s opinions. It seems a bit too easy to just point fingers and say “you made me like this”. I imagine it must be very hard to hear “you’re wrong, I’m right, look at how you’ve hurt me” from someone you care about deeply.

Yes and no. 

Sometimes we think it's just somebody else's fault when in reality it's both their and ours. But it can also be just their fault. Personally, some years ago when I was way younger, I went through some bad shit bc of someone. It was totally their fault, I didn't do shit to them. 

So yeah, I know that stuff isn't always black or white but there are some examples when they are. 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

4 minutes ago, sweetlikecinnam0n said:

Yes and no. 

Sometimes we think it's just somebody else's fault when in reality it's both their and ours. But it can also be just their fault. Personally, some years ago when I was way younger, I went through some bad shit bc of someone. It was totally their fault, I didn't do shit to them. 

So yeah, I know that stuff isn't always black or white but there are some examples when they are. 

I know, that’s why I wrote that you can’t always blame things on others. Sometimes, yes. Every time? Not so sure.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

4 hours ago, Elle said:

Antonoff: You hang out a lot in freaky places, places where no one would expect to see you. If someone were going to L.A. to try to run into you, they never could. I always call you and you’re, like, at a garden center, ‘round the back, trying new concoctions of this new plant. Or you’re making a new blend of iced tea with a friend in Malibu. If someone was like, “Where is Lana right now and what is she doing?” I could write a comedic essay about it. It’s always shocking to me. You’re really a citizen of the universe. 

Del Rey: You’ve got to get into the grind. I’m always on the grind. I’m at a weird bar, a weird dance club. I’m in Oklahoma. I’m at a meeting on Skid Row. I just want to know. I want to know what’s up.

this part is so funny, WHY does jack think that making iced tea with friends and going to the garden center are shocking eccentric activities in freaky places :thumb3: and Lana's examples aren't much better either

34 minutes ago, ultrarescent said:

Yeah that part resonated with me as well. I think many of us have siblings or friends like that who can be hurtful to our mental health without realizing it . So kudos to Lana for telling them. 

I hear you - it applies to me as well in that not all of my relationships have been/are great - but she said, "I actually don't see any value in [calling them out] - it's just true." 

So she's saying that she doesn't do it to try and resolve a situation, she simply wants to blame them because she thinks things are their fault. Not really constructive or healthy. 

"I'm having a bad day and it's your fault"? Telling other people that they are responsible for your unhappiness is yikes, especially when you're 35. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

4 hours ago, WilshireBoulevard said:

I guess it makes sense that she reacted to the backlash earlier this year the way that she did if she thinks that singing about being crazy a hundred times over is equivalent to singing about domestic crises? All of her vaguely "political" songs delve into a very isolated focus at some point, focusing on just her feelings with the real world stuff just as a catalyst and not the focus at all, which is why I maintain that they're not political songs - she never gives a real point of view. And that's fine because that's how a lot of people feel and it's part of why people are drawn to her. But trying to claim that she "knew we weren't ready" and had been singing about it for years? I really think she thinks she's this generations Bob Dylan from how much she brings him up in relation to her and I don't think she'll really be of much interest to me for as long as she continues blowing up her own ego. Especially when she reacts to people's pain with god bless and fuck off. Glad we got some insight on the album, and thank you to Elle for writing this up, but she's becoming more and more of a warning against resting on your own laurels and surrounding yourself with yesmen. 

She sounds so pretentious and out of touch.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

I do like unapologetic lana but I hope she doesn't let that ego get ahead of her and with this interview we can now see the kinda dynamic she has with Jack and why she's continued to collab with him lmao...a true yes man till the end! imo jack is REALLY not good for her artistry, yes man never are he's just there to stroke her ego and tell her she's the bestest.

on the music side of things I'm now worried with the words "folk, country album...piano" :sky: pls dont let dealer be the yosemite of the era

d63yq15-3111241c-203c-4c68-b6a1-861d09a7

16 minutes ago, urgirl said:

this part is so funny, WHY does jack think that making iced tea with friends and going to the garden center are shocking eccentric activities in freaky places :thumb3: and Lana's examples aren't much better either

I think it's more cringy than funny because they obviously have this idea built in their heads that they're these Anton LaVey type of characters who hold satanic rituals in their houses when they're just like every other person in LA who wears yoga pants and Sketchers, looking for the freshest roses to put on their $5,000 solid oak dining room table :derpna:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

2 hours ago, baddisease said:

y'all need to leave Lana alone. she's the voice of a generation. 

I may not be the biggest fan of gen z, but goddamn these kids deserve better than fragile white sadness lmao

Just now, Bunny Mozart said:

I think it's more cringy than funny because they obviously have this idea built in their heads that they're these Anton LaVey type of characters holding satanic rituals in their houses when they're just like every other person in LA who wears yoga pants and Sketchers, looking for the freshest roses to put on their $5,000 solid oak dining room table :derpna:

They're not like OTHER celebs with their NORMIE bars, their NORMIE dance clubs, and their...room temperature tea! nuh-uh! we stan a  ~ q u i r k y ~  kween  :derpna3:

She is one of the top artists of the past decades, has a worldwide fan base, is one of the most influential, is critically acclaimed... How can she not be pretentious?

Normalize stopping expecting people to be some kind of moral semi-gods...

I am not a big country fan but must confess my ignorance. I think true country fans are dismayed at what is considered "country" these days. It is usually twanged up pop music. I don't know what mid west music is. John Mellencamp? Any don't forget whatever the genre the voice will be Lana's!!!!! 

3 minutes ago, FredRed said:

I am not a big country fan but must confess my ignorance. I think true country fans are dismayed at what is considered "country" these days. It is usually twanged up pop music. I don't know what mid west music is. John Mellencamp? Any don't forget whatever the genre the voice will be Lana's!!!!! 

Maybe something like this? I have no idea lol

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

14 minutes ago, Tristesse said:

She is one of the top artists of the past decades, has a worldwide fan base, is one of the most influential, is critically acclaimed... How can she not be pretentious?

Normalize stopping expecting people to be some kind of moral semi-gods...

How about we don't normalize God complexes? It's one thing to be proud of your own work, yourself and even a little bit arrogance is okay, but please she's not omniscient as she has painted herself here. :scoff: that's what people have taken issue with. In the end all I can say about all this:

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself; I am large - I contain multitudes. :shh2:

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????