Elle

Lana interviewed by Jack Antonoff for Interview Magazine - September 2020

23 minutes ago, kitschesque said:

Never forget that Rick was even worse imo. They both have the same integrity when it comes to working together and I feel like Rick does a similar thing every time so I'm glad AT LEAST she switched one yesman to another that's not that repetitive lol

Rick had a pretty good run with Lana tho it was only until lfl when it was obvious that they had both squeezed each other dry creatively and lana was just keeping him there because it felt comfortable to her, with Jack right off the bat for me it's just not been so...dry and half-done especially with the amount of hype lorde stans were giving him pre-release nfr era.

I think he's a good friend to lana in the industry but as a producer it's dull, he doesn't have the range idc if he's grammy awarded he's a yes man that doesn't want to push for anything big and challenging or creatively layered but it's obvious that lana likes that about him.

d63yq15-3111241c-203c-4c68-b6a1-861d09a7

3 minutes ago, Bunny Mozart said:

Egotism and misogyny are very different though so I don't know why it's being compared in this way. No one is saying Lana can't be proud of her work, but she's not doing herself a favour in this interview. I would have the exact same amount of disappointment regarding egotism with men and women, and I'm sure the same can be said for lots of people here too. Having a big ego is an unattractive quality no matter what's in between your legs 

But they go hand in hand. Misogyny is denying a woman the right to build herself up — to say it’s not right for her to be proud of herself or that she’s not allowed to feel her way of thinking is ahead of the times. Which for all we know, she could be, considering we’re not in her head at all. I think a lot of the anger here is coming from a misogynistic point of view without knowing it— the kind that she’s talking about during the question for the culture. It’s almost a jealous agony, and it’s agonizing to read these opinions because I think they’re unfair. People can feel how they want— fair or unfair, but I think that’s where these lie. 

It’s actually really sad because after she’s been torn down and torn down by nearly every critic over the years and then built up after one critically acclaimed record, is she not okay to feel this way? My god, she’s has successful tour after tour, album after album — at some point she has to see herself as a successful artist and at some point she has to build her ego back up again to ignore the critics when her next records come out and they try to drag her again. To be able to block out the hateful comments that could even be hurtful, even if she doesn’t show it or make it known that those comments are that way

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

38 minutes ago, kitschesque said:

Never forget that Rick was even worse imo. They both have the same integrity when it comes to working together and I feel like Rick does a similar thing every time so I'm glad AT LEAST she switched one yesman to another that's not that repetitive lol

I suggest checking his discography as he has produced some of the best Lana songs. While I agree it did get kind of stale with Rick he is a better producer then Jack.   Personally I’d like to see Rick, Jack and Justin Parker work together.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Just now, HydroponicWeeds said:

But they go hand in hand. Misogyny is denying a woman the right to build herself up — to say it’s not right for her to be proud of herself or that she’s not allowed to feel her way of thinking is ahead of the times. Which for all we know, she could be, considering we’re not in her head at all. I think a lot of the anger here is coming from a misogynistic point of view without knowing it— the kind that she’s talking about during the question for the culture. It’s almost a jealous agony, and it’s agonizing to read these opinions because I think they’re unfair. People can feel how they want— fair or unfair, but I think that’s where these lie. 

It’s actually really sad because after she’s been torn down and torn down by nearly every critic over the years and then built up after one critically acclaimed record, is she not okay to feel this way? My god, she’s has successful tour after tour, album after album — at some point she has to see herself as a successful artist and at some point she has to build her ego back up again to ignore the critics when her next records come out and they try to drag her again. To be able to block out the hateful comments that could even be hurtful, even if she doesn’t show it or make it known that those comments are that way

I think ultimately it's a matter of knowing where the line is drawn with having self confidence and stepping over that line into arrogance. It's hard to tell sometimes.

I get what you're saying though, and I do think it's true to say that Lana hasn't had an easy ride with criticism. 

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I think this interview would've have been infinitely better had it been done by an actual interviewer and not one of her peer, especially Jack. The self-indulgence and slight arrogance kind of rubs me off the wrong way if I'm being honest (though she's entitled to feel the way she does, let's not pretend that us mere forum users don't have our own set of weird/problematic thoughts). Although, I can't say I'm really surprised as she's always been this way. Take it or leave it, I guess.

4 minutes ago, hornymoon said:

Rick had a pretty good run with Lana tho it was only until lfl when it was obvious that they had both squeezed each other dry creatively

But Rick did some of the best songs from the LFL era. Like Cherry, Heroin, some outtakes/demos like the first leaked demo of LFL.

1 hour ago, takeitdoen said:

This was unbearable to read. I couldn't make it all the way through since my eyes couldn't stop rolling at her ego. Exactly why people should be interviewed by journalists and not by their friends. 

@Elle I dunno how you wrote it out I would've had to log off and scream at a wall. 

i got so annoyed by the end of the interview  i nearly forgot all the new info on the album she gave us at the beginning

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

Just now, AlexParliament said:

Thank you. If I said that I would be attacked. 

You would have been attacked because you constantly make passive aggressive jabs at everyone on here.

It's perfectly normal to have criticism and stan the person at the same time, it's not a hard concept to pick up on :monicker:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

still don't get the "Jack is a terrible, garbage producer" comments. If Chemtrails is released and the production style is a 180 from Norman, I really don't want to hear the complaints after you cried that the album was too "MINIMAL!!!" Pretty sure that Lana has the final say on how she wants her records and songs to sound, anyways.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

7 minutes ago, Bunny Mozart said:

I think ultimately it's a matter of knowing where the line is drawn with having self confidence and stepping over that line into arrogance. It's hard to tell sometimes.

I get what you're saying though, and I do think it's true to say that Lana hasn't had an easy ride with criticism. 

I just wanna say real quick too, i’m not speaking only about your comments— i couldn’t go through the entire thread reading the same opinions so idk where your opinion lies about this, i just saw your comment and quoted it in my first post about this. It’s just a general thing i’ve noticed on the first page or two about it and it’s really shocking to see considering how progressive most people here are or pretend to be. But just know this isn’t directed to you only, but to generally everyone who’s feeling upset or angry at this interview. 

It’s refreshing for me, to say the least. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

So this was a really great interview. It really gives you insight into the working relationship between Lana and Jack. I think these two will be working together for a long time. They kind of remind me of Billy Joel and the late Phil Ramone and their working relationship. 

So it looks like this record will have a folk to country vibe like a predicted. I am thrilled about this as I love those genres. Folk music is really Lana’s roots. 

Lana is very in touch with what is around her and as a great writer she has to be. 

She mentions panic attacks which is something I relate to because I experience them too.

It would good having Jack interview her because he is a musician and her understands art. 

But in this interview we (her fans... her real fans) see the Lana we know and love. This is the same woman we all fell in love with 9 years ago.

I love how when discussing one of the songs Lana says she could have broken it down more. Like any talented musician, Lana is her own top critic and we see how she holds herself up to high standards. She sure is a hard worker. 

Very much looking forward to everything to come. 

Thank you Elle for sharing and writing this all out too!! 

I don't even think she was being particularly egotistical here. What your mistaking for egotistical is just an annoying direction of conversation thanks to it being done by a fellow artist and friend instead of a journalist

No one here is being misogynistic as her gender is not in question or an aspect of the criticism. While I understand you can draw connections to egotism, in this instance it really doesn't apply since people would have dragged anyone who had said some of these cringe things.

Comments like this:

"You and I are exactly the same. We know everything that's going on and we have no fucking clue how we know it. It's not like we're ever asking anyone for gossip"

A weird humble brag, but also audacious because she's so out of touch with normal people - she obviously name drops recent watershed political moments that she has been persecuted over because of her ignorant language or totally breezing over. :eyeroll2:

3lfQEhw.png

19 minutes ago, ModernBohemian said:

Are these extra pictures real? I found them on Twitter

Yeah they're real and theres another thread somewhere on here of them. ugh i really hope this look shows up on the rest of cocc because this is probably her best look since Paradise