Sign in to follow this  
takeitdoen

The Musicals Thread

Lanaboards, I have seen loving and loathing of musicals - stage, film, and live! With Lana allegedly working on a musical, in addition to her doing a few musical covers, it's prime time to chat who here is a fan, or hates the musicals!?

Perhaps you're a fan of the classics like Les Mis? 

Les-Mise--rables.-One-Day-More.-Photo-by

Are you a Stephen Sondheim fan, with his intricate melodies, exquisite lyricism and iconic moments involving Meryl Streep?

giphy.gif

Perhaps you are a fan of the Renaissance Disney?

9aa71deb7a3402d577dde939a81783ae.jpg

Maybe you were a surprise fan of the abomination movie that was Cats (2019)? 

ddc7lbr-db90557d-4a11-4dd8-908b-5448fbd489aa.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMmNiYmYxZWMtMjE0ZS00ZDQxLTlhYjktMDc3ZDg2NDZmMGVjXC9kZGM3bGJyLWRiOTA1NTdkLTRhMTEtNGRkOC05MDhiLTU0NDhmYmQ0ODlhYS5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.4H-m1ShvAmNNV5DUWNs83-TiOXoNwXNcNsKmAzCsEjg

Discuss, share ya favourite moments, nerd out!:fabcat:

3lfQEhw.png

Omg I love musicals! I was a theatre kid back in the day, so musicals are such core part of my being. I honestly probably listen to musical soundtracks (both stage & screen) more than anything else (except Lana). I don’t even know where to start with what kinds of musicals I like, I love stage musicals and classic movie musicals and Disney.. pretty much everything. I guess I’d consider old Shirley Temple and Judy Garland movies the thing that originally got me into musicals, so those are probably the most precious to me. I guess classic movie musicals would kind of be my musical niche if I had one. I love the insane visuals of Busby Berkeley or Ernst Lubitsch musicals. It’s a shame most movie musicals these days seem to have no imagination. And I haven’t seen lots of live shows though, just bootlegs, so I do feel lesser in that department, but I do still adore live musicals. Would love to someday see The Lord of the Rings musical or Wicked or Next to Normal live since those aren’t movies yet, but it seems even less likely to see more live shows now with everything in the world. 

here’s an example of a crazy Busby Berkeley musical number (seriously I love these wacky old musicals so much)

And here’s just my favourite scene/song from the Lord of the Rings musical

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Love me some classics :wub:

The Wizard of Oz

Singin' in the Rain

Mary Poppins

The Sound of Music

Fiddler on the Roof

8 minutes ago, recklessdaughter said:

And here’s just my favourite scene/song from the Lord of the Rings musical

omg Laura Michelle Kelly is a GEM and this is one of my favourite musical moments OF ALL TIME!!!! Have you heard this live version at 1:15? It ended my life and I listened to this 100000000 times when I first found it. 

ENFOLDED 

IN MY ARMS

LOTH

LORI

ENNNNNNNNNNNN

:icant: :oprah2: :air: :wowcry: :oprah: :crying: :oh:

3lfQEhw.png

Some of my favourites!

The Old Red Hills of Home (from Parade)

Epic work, the last great luscious musical score from the 20th century. Brilliant, smart, stiring and powerful. Sadly also based on a real story :( The entire first act is a cracker, 

City On Fire/Final Sequence

FEATURING MISS POTS. The whole score is flawless, but this moment has one of my favourite and most intense musical moments (City on Fire - where the lunatics start running through the streets), with a reprise of almost every major motif, amazing orchestration, incredible cast (only marginally behind the Theatre du Chatalet cast in 2011). This is the most brilliant writer of our time.

Still Hurting (from The Last Five Years)

Another Jason Robert Brown classic, the indie musical. I think the movie casting and instrumentation is definitive and I love it! This and Still Hurting are my favourites, but this one is really FUN.

I Dreamed a Dream (from Les Mis) 

The first 20 minutes of the musical are probably my favourite, it's unfortunate the film gave so little emphasis to the MUSIC. Ruthie Henshall is the definitive Fantine. This whole concert was a BANGER. The way her voice rips of 'SO DIFFERENT FROM THIS HELL I'M LIVING IN'

Don't Cry for Me Argentina (from Evita)

I fucking hated Evita for like 5 years and then somehow it's now one of my favourites of aaaall time. OG instrumentation is best, Julie Covington has a delicate but commanding delivery. 

As If We Never Said Goodbye (from Sunset Bouelvard)

"I'VE COME HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME. AT. LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSTTT!"

One of my favourites of all time - I've seen videos of Betty literally stopping the show and as people applaud over her soaring notes, innovative shifts to the score, and she has a minute standing ovation for this song (and her whole role). This musical is another extravaganza, with ALW's classic strings and brass everywhere and I EAT IT UP. With One Look + Salome are my other moments I love.

3lfQEhw.png

I have a thing for French musicals. 'Notre Dame de Paris' is honestly iconic. It's the adaptation of the famous novel 'The Hunchback of Notre-Dame' by Victor Hugo. I was pretty young when the musical came out, but I remember my parents playing the soundtrack often. The whole thing might look a little outdated nowadays, but I think the performances are still pretty solid! Oh, memories.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, West Coast said:

I have a thing for French musicals. 'Notre Dame de Paris' is honestly iconic. It's the adaptation of the famous novel 'The Hunchback of Notre-Dame' by Victor Hugo. I was pretty young when the musical came out, but I remember my parents playing the soundtrack often. The whole thing might look a little outdated nowadays, but I think the performances are still pretty solid! Oh, memories.

Omg I think it was way back when I was in middle school I was going through a Hunchback phase (still one of my top Disney's to this day) and I had one of the show's songs randomly downloaded on my iPod - I don't speak french, didn't know what they were saying and didn't know anything about the stage production  . . you brought back some memories lol

Even though I love the theater and getting to go to musicals, it's rare that I end up going. 2022 was a good year for me bc I got to go to TWO shows! Moulin Rouge! in November and Beetlejuice in December, both fun and different takes on the movies that I love. 

Planning on Mean Girls for Feb 2023 :)

On 2/4/2023 at 6:17 PM, West Coast said:

We are revolting children :hype:
Living in revolting times :hype:
We sing revolting songs :hype:
Using revolting rhymes :hype:

I thought it was a pretty good stage-to-show! Visuals, actors, choreo, Minchin's songs ofc :gclap:

I'm in my Wizard of Oz era, the part where Dorothy lands in Munchinkland is probably my favourite in the entire movie.