Elle

In Bed (and in the Tub) with Lana Del Rey - Interview Magazine [VIDEO]

Wooooohhh!!! Ok just watched the video. Fuckin icon she is, I mean just stupendous. Her presence, her manipulation, performance as life and vice versa. Loved the piano too; the very end, the question of madness, exceptional. But like, i...no i need to hold fast, this shit is coming in September. Me, crazy? No, no of course not, I mean look we're on lanaboards for the 197th day straight, thats not, crazy. No I'm normal. (LORD does she enjoy reminding us why we stan)

I really like parts of it, and I understand that it's supposed to be satirical, but taken alongside the fact that she can never even manage a tweet to tell us what's going on when she inevitably delays something, the Jack interview, Question for the Culture and the fact that she used her cats in that manner ... it hits a bit too close to home for me to find it funny in the way she intended.

That's not to say that it isn't without its merits. The typewriter part, for example, is great. The part where she talks about being unhinged whilst having an enormous syringe drilling into her head on the screen behind her is also great.

Not keen on the cat part for reasons already discussed.

Anyway it's a 3 minute video and it ain't that serious, but yeah

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I LOVE this video. And I also think it makes the wait a little less tedious if at all, because it all seems like one art project, including poetry (I believe Behind The Iron Gates is gonna be directly linked to this record), music and these "art" videos. Like, the era has officially started with this, it's part of it. Doesn't feel like a delay to me anymore

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

I'm not sure people are using the word 'satire' correctly . . . satire is supposed to ridicule a weakness. If Lana is satirising herself, she's acknowledging she's a lunatic with no logic. A more appropriate term would be a parody, but it doesn't go far enough in her own self critique. Is she trying to be a crazy cat lady now? :awkney:

This Vulture article is as bemused:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/lana-del-rey-underdog-interview-magazine.html

3lfQEhw.png

Don't kill me but I don't know if I like the video at all. I mean, I like it visually, but apart from the fact that it has a weird energy (I don't mean that in a bad way) I feel that sometimes I don't understand her. I see videos from the NFR era and I see her changed and different. I'm not saying for the better or worse, but I have the feeling that she's been a little bit different since the question for the culture. It's like she always looks a little bit annoyed or serious these last few months. I guess she is a complex person, and sometimes she contradicts herself a lot and I can't tell when she is talking in a satirical tone and when she is not, that's why I find it hard to understand her personality. Last year she seemed quite happy and calm, always going out with her friends and so on, even she always says she is happy, but then in violet she says certain things that may give cause to think the opposite. The same thing happened to me with this interview, I also thought she was fine this last year but suddenly she says things like: "i don't think i'm doing okay" or "sometimes i panick out of nowhere", or talks about being in an institution (even if she's joking). So what is the truth? Honestly, I see her a little differently than in the NFR era, and especially since the question of culture, so I find it hard to understand her. Anyways I don't know if this makes sense I hope I've explained myself well.

7 minutes ago, irvnex said:

Don't kill me but I don't know if I like the video at all. I mean, I like it visually, but apart from the fact that it has a weird energy (I don't mean that in a bad way) I feel that sometimes I don't understand her. I see videos from the NFR era and I see her changed and different. I'm not saying for the better or worse, but I have the feeling that she's been a little bit different since the question for the culture. It's like she always looks a little bit annoyed or serious these last few months. I guess she is a complex person, and sometimes she contradicts herself a lot and I can't tell when she is talking in a satirical tone and when she is not, that's why I find it hard to understand her personality. Last year she seemed quite happy and calm, always going out with her friends and so on, even she always says she is happy, but then in violet she says certain things that may give cause to think the opposite. The same thing happened to me with this interview, I also thought she was fine this last year but suddenly she says things like: "i don't think i'm doing okay" or "sometimes i panick out of nowhere", or talks about being in an institution (even if she's joking). So what is the truth? Honestly, I see her a little differently than in the NFR era, and especially since the question of culture, so I find it hard to understand her. Anyways I don't know if this makes sense I hope I've explained myself well.

No one is happy all the time. I can be super happy one day and then super angsty the next. I can go through four of the cycles in a single day. Lana's just human. Sometimes she's happy, sometimes she's not. That's just life. And even still, she can go out with friends even if she's not at her "happiest". In regards to Violet, as a writer myself, I write about so many things: current feelings, past feelings, the feelings of others, etc. Just because she didn't seem "happy" in Violet doesn't mean that's any indication of her current state, it doesn't even 100% guarantee that was her state at the time of writing either. Just my two cents. Lana's just human and we see her humanity more now. 

9 minutes ago, CHANEL #1 said:

No one is happy all the time. I can be super happy one day and then super angsty the next. I can go through four of the cycles in a single day. Lana's just human. Sometimes she's happy, sometimes she's not. That's just life. And even still, she can go out with friends even if she's not at her "happiest". In regards to Violet, as a writer myself, I write about so many things: current feelings, past feelings, the feelings of others, etc. Just because she didn't seem "happy" in Violet doesn't mean that's any indication of her current state, it doesn't even 100% guarantee that was her state at the time of writing either. Just my two cents. Lana's just human and we see her humanity more now. 

Yeah, that's obvious. I am referring to moments when she describes her state of mind in general, for example by referring to this stage of her life. If she says she is doing very well and a month later says the opposite (for ex talking about this phase of her life) it is normal that it seems somewhat contradictory. Anyway, my main point is that I noticed her as a little angry or annoyed since the question fo the culture, and i was wondering if it may has been affecting her somehow, that's all.

19 minutes ago, irvnex said:

Yeah, that's obvious. I am referring to moments when she describes her state of mind in general, for example by referring to this stage of her life. If she says she is doing very well and a month later says the opposite (for ex talking about this phase of her life) it is normal that it seems somewhat contradictory. Anyway, my main point is that I noticed her as a little angry or annoyed since the question fo the culture, and i was wondering if it may has been affecting her somehow, that's all.

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.“

40 minutes ago, irvnex said:

it's funny cuz I found her happiness off-putting and weird last era, while she seems more normal now but whatevs

8 minutes ago, Doin Time said:

She was definitely being sarcastic and I think that's the theme of this era, how we're pretending everything's fine when the world is falling apart type of vibe

Spot on!! Especially after reading the interview. And the video of her being chaotic yet pretending not to be bothered, showing us her jewelry. Def a commentary on the delusion and disillusion that is 2020.

59 minutes ago, irvnex said:

I think it has a weird energy, too. 

I think I get what she was going for, but imo, it misses the mark because it all hits a bit too close. I'll leave it at that because I don't feel like fighting anyone.

If I'm being honest I was turned off the moment I saw the part with the kitties; they were clearly uncomfortable and I don't like it. I'm not saying that she doesn't love her kitties, because I think she absolutely does, but kitties don't LIKE water or having bubbles put on their heads and she shouldn't be doing that for a video.

:agree:

Also I cannot pinpoint a time, at least any time recently, where she went missing for 90 days so if that is true, then I don't think it was recent.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

40 minutes ago, Doin Time said:

She was definitely being sarcastic and I think that's the theme of this era, how we're pretending everything's fine when the world is falling apart type of vibe

I feel like that was the theme of the previous era, or at least NFR was a willgul ignorance at the horrid mess that the world is It worked to a degree, she was almost convinced everything's fine. This era seems to be basking in the mess and lana embracing her insanity and that the facade of feigned sanity is fading

21 minutes ago, RormanNockwell said:

If I'm being honest I was turned off the moment I saw the part with the kitties; they were clearly uncomfortable and I don't like it. I'm not saying that she doesn't love her kitties, because I think she absolutely does, but kitties don't LIKE water or having bubbles put on their heads and she shouldn't be doing that for a video.

That was exactly my first thought when I saw the snippet on Instagram. Why pulling the kitties in front of the camera in a bathtub and rubbing them with foam :toofunny: