Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Hardcover Poetry Book - Post-Release Discussion Thread

September 29th, 2020: Lana Del Rey's first hardcover poetry book 'Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass' has been released worldwide.

This is Lana's first hardcover poetry book release with publishing company Simon & Schuster. The entirety of Lana's advance from the book will be donated among three different organizations, including the Navajo Water Project. 

50396473736_ca3f66e262_o.jpg

HardcoverApple eBook ● Kindle eBook

“Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass is the title poem of the book and the first poem I wrote of many. Some of which came to me in their entirety, which I dictated and then typed out, and some that I worked laboriously picking apart each word to make the perfect poem. They are eclectic and honest and not trying to be anything other than what they are and for that reason I’m proud of them, especially because the spirit in which they were written was very authentic.” —Lana Del Rey

Lana’s breathtaking first book solidifies her further as “the essential writer of her times” (The Atlantic). The collection features more than thirty poems, many exclusive to the book: Never to Heaven, The Land of 1,000 Fires, Past the Bushes Cypress Thriving, LA Who Am I to Love You?, Tessa DiPietro, Happy, Paradise Is Very Fragile, Bare Feet on Linoleum, and many more. This beautiful hardcover edition showcases Lana’s typewritten manuscript pages alongside her original photography. The result is an extraordinary poetic landscape that reflects the unguarded spirit of its creator.

Share your thoughts on the new poetry book below!

Read the Pre-Release Thread

(Those who request a free, illegal download link to the digital version of the book will receive a Warning Point. Those who post illegal direct download links to the digital version of the book will be banned. Please respect Lana & her art!)

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

11 minutes ago, Venice said:

I'm so annoyed that despite pre-ordering, I have to wait about a week for either pick up or delivery :deadbanana:Really looking forward to seeing some interesting lines/photos etc!!  

same issue for me. Does anyone know if it’s on one-day delivery with Amazon Prime? Bc Chapters is taking a week and I’m not a patient person. 

@MAX DEL REY where did u order from!

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

4 minutes ago, Mer Boy said:

same issue for me. Does anyone know if it’s on one-day delivery with Amazon Prime? Bc Chapters is taking a week and I’m not a patient person. 

@MAX DEL REY where did u order from!

I ordered from amazon.ca and I haven't had any problems so far (they even charged me less than what was initially advertised). It says the item has despatched; I have a tracking number and everything. It's set to arrive before 8pm tonight local time. :)

Okay so I already have it.

I'm not gonna post all of the new poems because I don't feel OK doing that, but I am gonna post some excerpts and discussion points about one of the new poems in the spoiler below

Spoiler

So there's a new poem entitled, "Thanks to the Locals" and it's about an AA meeting and an ex-boyfriend who told her that they should get married because his mother was dying and he needed a woman in his life. What a fucking jerk. WTF?

"You asked me to marry you

You said your mother was dying and

you couldn't fathom your

life without a woman in it.

I was tempted but it didn't seem like a good enough offer

I wanted more than that

even though I've never had anything"

I think it ties in with Bartender, because:

"So I got back into my truck in the dark"

That line we couldn't figure out in LA Who Am I to Love You? is "Saks"

Oh yeah she wrote a haiku about stepping on a bird

Sugarfish has Cinnamon-esque lines:

"sugar sugar in my teeth

from your kiss

you texting me

from the movie theater seat"

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

4 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

I ordered from amazon.ca and I haven't had any problems so far (they even charged me less than what was initially advertised). It says the item has despatched; I have a tracking number and everything. It's set to arrive before 8pm tonight local time. :)

Same here, mine says on the way and will arrive by 8PM. They've also dropped the price again, down to 22.50

I really like the chaotic energy of this picture.

Spoiler

TgtejRl.jpg

It makes me think she was hand-binding it at some point and gave up, because mess. Her chewed up cherry phone cover also makes an appearance in another pic

I am PSYCHED for tomorrow night. Amazon says it should get to my place by the late afternoon and I’ve canceled all of my work meetings and prior plans to have an uninterrupted night in. I went out to the liquor store tonight and bought myself a nice Pinot Noir in preparation for the poetry book deep dive. Can’t wait to hear what you guys think about it! :excited:

#treatyoself

1 hour ago, RormanNockwell said:

Hide contents

Sugarfish has Cinnamon-esque lines:

"sugar sugar in my teeth

from your kiss

you texting me

from the movie theater seat"

is this poem about the sushi restaurant 

:toofunny: their sushi is really good though but overpriced which is on brand with our baseball mom tbh 

sgopYhV.gif

@JehovahThikness Idk if you're joking but no, it doesn't appear to be

I'm going to share one of the haikus because I thought it was really sad that she feels this way and I hope it was just a passing thought  :horror:

Spoiler

Poets - like comics

are inherently quite sad

better off alone

In the context of the rest of the book, which seems to be very much about an on/off boyfriend that she ended up leaving (which I'm guessing was Ch*se), I'm guessing (hoping) this was just how she felt at the time after she'd left him.

1 minute ago, Electric Body said:

I really wanna read that haiku about stepping on a bird ...

Spoiler

I stepped on a bird

cried in my new boyfriend’s arms

to live is to kill

the haikus in general are all sad af :(

image.png

I'm disappointed because there were only one or two poems worth reading that we didn't have already, but it is what it is. I really didn't think they were including the haikus when they said there were 30 poems.