Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Hardcover Poetry Book - Post-Release Discussion Thread

the images in the book have the same aesthetic as the NFR videos, rounding out the visuals for the end of the era. COCC here we come. I can understand why she wanted to release VBBOTG before COCC in order to keep continuity of the aesthetics.

4 minutes ago, MrFameKills said:

No money for Violet! 

Hide contents

maxresdefault.jpg

We're not buying Violet until we get COCC news

no money for violet! 

Why?

because Lana caved

NO MONEY FOR VIOLET 

boycotting. Boycotting. 

we’ve decided we will shop where COCC shops. 
We are all here to cancel our violet preorders. 

ugh these LEGENDS

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty shook that Lana has not posted anything about the release of Violet. It's almost like it doesn't matter or deserve the attention. She seems very proud of her poetry. I just don't get what the silence is about. It's a huge deal. :icant:

1 minute ago, Lentilus said:

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty shook that Lana has not posted anything about the release of Violet. It's almost like it doesn't matter or deserve the attention. She seems very proud of her poetry. I just don't get what the silence is about. It's a huge deal. :icant:

Wait, are you joking?:oopna2:

1 minute ago, Lentilus said:

Well she did post those videos about Violet last Thursday later on in the day so maybe she's waiting until then :crai: I think it might still be kinda early where she's at too

Just now, wild caged animal said:

Idk but she promoted it on  instagram and twitter a few days ago. Remember the gloves?

Yes, but today is the big day. Why stay totally silent on release day. Idk, just seems like a poor business move.

My copy just arrived via amazon and I LOVE it! It feels so personal and like I’m getting notes from an old friend..I can’t wait to dive deep into it tomorrow :)

I’m so excited the day is finally here and I’m actually physically holding the book she’s been so excited about for 2 years now!!

truly feels surreal, this is just as good as getting an album from her (possibly better, I’ve always been a reader and I feel this has a deeper level than her music (not that her music isn’t deep and extremely personal!))

"Don’t forget me"

59 minutes ago, QueenofAlchemy said:

I'm not seeing great reviews from newspapers, except this one from Vice where they got 2 poets to review it (not sure if it was discussed on the pre-release thread). The 2 poets analysed the text and took note of her Whitman and Ginsberg influences, overall rating her better. 

Are there any intellectuals (well read in Poetry) that agree/disagree with the Vice article? 

I admit i thought some of the poems were a bit cringe before i read that article. 

i whole heartedly agree w the Vice conversation about her poetry. i read a lot of contemporary poetry and lana's poem definitely call on the whitman/beat/confessional influences while also using lots of lana's idiosyncratic phrasings. it def fits in with a vein of current poetry that plays a lot with voice, affect, and emoji/text speak. if i were an editor i'd def cut some some lines but i think it's overall very cohesive, warm, and earnest, and her unique voice as a writer comes through really well.

aOaIzH2.gif

This is completely unrelated to the poetic content of the book, since I haven't had time to delve into it just yet. However, from an aesthetic standpoint the whole thing is really beautiful. I love the images, the costum oil paintings as well as Lana's photos in it. I wasn't sure about how I felt with the cover/sleeve of the book, but I now really like the oranges painting and golden letters. Also, might sound weird, but I like the paper they chose for the book, it's kinda thick but it has this sort of newspaper feel to the touch? It's quite the neat little package. Well done Lana. :wub:

The only thing I don't particularly like is the selfie at the back, but it's whatever.

I love how the pages show some stains, and crinkles on the corner, and the letters having obvious water stains, it just makes the whole book feel not so mainstream and prim and proper, it feels very Lana

I also love that there a couple poems that she wrote notes all over and changed, and the next page is the ‘final’ version 

I can’t get over how beautiful this whole project is 

"Don’t forget me"