Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Hardcover Poetry Book - Post-Release Discussion Thread

6 minutes ago, War In My Mind said:

Love the blank pages at the end, with lines so the reader can write some poetry :) 

*so the reader can write manifestations for COTCC :) 

Screenshot-2024-04-17-at-6-31-05-PM.png

who's afraid of little old me?

1 hour ago, Mer Boy said:

*so the reader can write manifestations for COTCC :) 

jesus yall are relentless for cocc. Lana feeds us an album every year and is giving us two poetry books within a year of one another and an audiobook.

Show some fuckin respect to Rihanna fans whom she let die of starvation.

1 minute ago, War In My Mind said:

jesus yall are relentless for cocc. Lana feeds us an album every year and is giving us two poetry books within a year of one another and an audiobook.

Show some fuckin respect to Rihanna fans whom she let die of starvation.

i agree with you to some extent. i (and many others) wouldn't have a problem with not getting an album this year due to covid and because of the poetry, but she announced it herself! if she kept quiet about it i would've forgot she even mentioned an album coming in 12-13 months back in august 2019. she mentioned the title and the fake date, so that's on her lol

2 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:

i agree with you to some extent. i (and many others) wouldn't have a problem with not getting an album this year due to covid and because of the poetry, but she announced it herself! if she kept quiet about it i would've forgot she even mentioned an album coming in 12-13 months back in august 2019. she mentioned the title and the fake date, so that's on her lol

That's fine and true. But I think she posts stuff because she's excited and then she is held back by her managers who are like it isnt smart business to release and audiobook and a book and an album within two months of one another. Especially since the audiobook and book got pushed because of S&S asking to publish it (taking it from an independent project to a publisher project).

But I don't think posting things on instagram immediately means we deserve them either.

9 minutes ago, War In My Mind said:

That's fine and true. But I think she posts stuff because she's excited and then she is held back by her managers who are like it isnt smart business to release and audiobook and a book and an album within two months of one another. Especially since the audiobook and book got pushed because of S&S asking to publish it (taking it from an independent project to a publisher project).

But I don't think posting things on instagram immediately means we deserve them either.

yeah you're right! she really doesn't owe us anything and we don't necessarily "deserve" a new album. but y'know, it's still kind of unfair of her to give us the title and the date, not go through with it and leave us in the dark about everything all while releasing an audiobook and a hardcover book of poetry she was meant to release in january (very on-brand of her, loves it). i'm still very grateful she's even sharing what's on her mind, and i'm definitely grateful we're getting fed way more than rihanna stans (poor babies:(

16 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:

yeah you're right! she really doesn't owe us anything and we don't necessarily "deserve" a new album. but y'know, it's still kind of unfair of her to give us the title and the date, not go through with it and leave us in the dark about everything all while releasing an audiobook and a hardcover book of poetry she was meant to release in january (very on-brand of her, loves it). i'm still very grateful she's even sharing what's on her mind, and i'm definitely grateful we're getting fed way more than rihanna stans (poor babies:(

I agree it definitely sucks, but I just feel like if I were her, I would be like so sad that as an artist I'm constantly putting my work out there and all my fans care about is like the next thing.

And yeah being a Rihanna stan is what has given me more sympathy for Lana. She commented once like 3 years ago on someone's instagram that the album was coming soon.

I got my copy today. It's so lovely! The jacket is a little unnecessary since it's the same as the hardback of the book I thought.

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

9 minutes ago, bel air rose said:

anyone know why the title in the book is typed like this

“Violet bEnt bAckwards Over The gRass”

Maybe the keys were stuck on her typewriter? I think that can happen. 

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

Just got my violet hardcover copy from the book store and I'm in love!!!

Spoiler

I love how the pages feel so rough it kind of gives me that you know raw kind of feeling, makes it feel more real and personal. I love all the photos and the aesthetic it's so nice!!! and I love all the poems too!!!

I'm so keen for Behind the iron gates - Inside an Institution, I feel like itll be a more raw poetry book and more personal!

I received my copy of book this afternoon and just finished reading it a few hours ago. I found it as interesting as her music, quite sentimental and genuine. Some poems (and especially the haikus) gave me a feeling of sadness and loneliness. :( A slight tightening in the chest. And when a book evokes feelings it's because the author caught you. Lana got me! The guy who likes suspense and horror books reading poetry lol 

Looking forward to the second book.