Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Hardcover Poetry Book - Post-Release Discussion Thread

10 minutes ago, Chemtrail said:

I'm disappointed because there were only one or two poems worth reading that we didn't have already, but it is what it is. I really didn't think they were including the haikus when they said there were 30 poems.

would you mind sharing one? i'm picking up my copy in 2 weeks or more :rollin:

25 minutes ago, Chemtrail said:

I'm disappointed because there were only one or two poems worth reading that we didn't have already, but it is what it is. I really didn't think they were including the haikus when they said there were 30 poems.

It's like NFR in that she strung it out for way too long and shared far too much.

I really hope she refrains from doing the same thing with Iron Gates; it's much more exciting when you get a book and you haven't already read most of it.

I would like to see original art and more handwritten content than there is in this one, in the next one. Also, I would absolutely love if she put some lyrics from COCC in Iron Gates, complete with handwritten corrections, etc. That'd be really interesting and give an insight into her songwriting process.

As you say, it is what it is and it's nice to put on my shelf next to Florence's :agree:

ETA: Also because I know she reads here, if she really does have any hand-bound copies from before she decided to use a publisher, she should have a raffle. Make everyone make a $10 donation to a cause to enter, and you can win a signed, hand-bound copy.

I say raffle and not auction because we all know certain rich af stans would bid thousands of dollars and leave the rest of us out of the running.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Just now, RormanNockwell said:

It's like NFR in that she strung it out for way too long and shared far too much.

I really hope she refrains from doing the same thing with Iron Gates; it's much more exciting when you get a book and you haven't already read most of it.

I would like to see original art and more handwritten content than there is in the next one. Also, I would absolutely love if she put some lyrics from COCC in Iron Gates, complete with handwritten corrections, etc. That'd be really interesting and give an insight into her songwriting process.

As you say, it is what it is and it's nice to put on my shelf next to Florence's :agree:

Exactly. I thought I'd be reading 13 or so poems today but it's just 5 new ones (one of which is awful) and a bunch of haikus, most of which she already posted on IG.

I have Useless Magic too. :oic:

2 minutes ago, Chemtrail said:

Exactly. I thought I'd be reading 13 or so poems today but it's just 5 new ones (one of which is awful) and a bunch of haikus, most of which she already posted on IG.

Which one is awful? I can think of two candidates that are a bit cringe.

Which one is awful? I've just read the book and really enjoyed it

FzytWEW.png

@RormanNockwell @ultralife

Spoiler

Sugar sugar lips and teeth

fingertips touch emojis

hard forever

hearts on fleek

bb please come over

Just now, ultralife said:

Oh yeah that one was pretty terrible lol especially the last stanza. Thanks to the locals kinda left me like :O tho

Thanks to the Locals was the only one left that I liked.

@RormanNockwell @ultralife

Hide contents

Sugar sugar lips and teeth

fingertips touch emojis

hard forever

hearts on fleek

bb please come over

Thanks to the Locals was the only one left that I liked.

Yeah I have to agree

Spoiler

Ringtone was also a bit questionable

I really enjoyed Thanks to the Locals, although I must admit I was apprehensive when I read the title :oic2: I thought it was going to be about Twitter stans or something

1 minute ago, Electric Body said:

Oh wow .. that was ... heard. what's the name of it?

They don't have names; they're just in a section called "Haikus"

Spoiler

I also roared at the "Notes for Poets" section at the end ... is she encouraging the fan base to write fake lyrics? :omfg2:

Just now, RormanNockwell said:

Yeah I have to agree

Hide contents

Ringtone was also a bit questionable

I really enjoyed Thanks to the Locals, although I must admit I was apprehensive when I read the title :oic2: I thought it was going to be about Twitter stans or something

She should have included Thanks to the Locals on the audiobook tbh inbetween My Bedroom Is a Sacred Place Now and Paradise Is Very Fragile. Agreed on Ringtone, I didn't care for it either.

7 minutes ago, Lustformoney said:

how is this possible to step on a bird?

Walking through the woods and not paying attention to your surroundings while a bird, likely injured and unable to fly, is laying on the ground.

1 minute ago, Lustformoney said:

how is this possible to step on a bird?

I mean she's pretty clumsy but maybe it was a baby bird that fell out of a tree or something.

I feel bad for her; I'd be devo

Just now, Nobody said:

has anyone seen that video of a horse stepping on a bird? trumatic :poordat:

No but I don't want to lol

2 minutes ago, RormanNockwell said:

I mean she's pretty clumsy but maybe it was a baby bird that fell out of a tree or something.

I'd probably throw up and cry a bit tbh

9 minutes ago, RormanNockwell said:

i didnt interpret it literally. i thought she was metaphorically speaking how she seems to unintentionally hurt people around her. cuz lbr, stepping on a bird and killing it is pretty hard to do

image.png