Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Hardcover Poetry Book - Post-Release Discussion Thread

I’ve been slowly reading this and taking my time with it

some of the poems hit so well and some I’m just happy to be privy to Lana’s streams of consciousness

The book itself is actually made so beautifully

The paper quality, the print texture, the poems with little scribbles and the final next to it, the binding and the quality of it all is stunning, the offness and imperfections of the type gah

It’s such a beautifully made and considered book, the full bleed photo pages GAH

You can tell it was truly a passion project for her and that she really cared about it

I’m actually in the process of making a photo book called ~there’s a stranger in my house~ and the way she has made her book to ~feel~ a certain way is so inspiring. Inside it list’s who printed the book in Australia and I secretly wish I’ll be able to print with them

Violet is honestly my favourite poem at the moment, I’m currently reading the one where she’s talking about the flying lessons — I’m so here for this

I can’t wait to hear her read them when my vinyl arrives, i’m sure it’s gonna hit so different especially with the instrumentals behind it GAHHHHH

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

After the huge disappointment of the poorly designed vinyl I was so surprised at how beautiful the book is in person. They should have embossed the text in gold on the vinyl as a single LP instead of printing it as a gatefold which was such a purposeless decision.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

mine still hasn't even shipped i- rough trade get your sh!t together challenge

for those who have the book though, how are the non-audiobook poems?  i wonder if there are any that seemed like they were "snubbed" in favor of the ones that got audiobook versions

tumblr_inline_q2nkwneCwi1wb35v4_1280.png

Got a devil on my back as a tribute to my mother

I wonder if we’ll ever get a special edition/hand-bound copy. The pages are so beautiful looking, I wish they actually were textured like the print. This book is beautiful, and it would benefit so much from thick expensive handmade paper (and I’d be willing to spend 70-100 on it, tbh). 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

This poetry collection is absolutely unreal. I really love what Lana said in the book’s blurb about it being nothing more what it is, which to me, is just a testament to her authenticity, humility, and artistry. 

These poems feel so familiar but like such new groundbreaking territory for Lana. All of the poems are so amazing because they read like poetic journal entries and that’s what makes it feel intimate.

Never to Heaven is still such a brilliant poem to me in that it says exactly what it needs to say and the whole idea of her struggle for a relationship in regards to her ability to think deeply and ponder the philosophies of this world is so profound. I think it’s poignant because it is hard to find someone when you are the type to think abstractly like that - you’re prone to feeling emptier because philosophy is a subject that is so fulfilling but also raises so many other questions that can lead to existential anxieties. And the fact that she says she’ll never try to know what God knows (contrast from PSB) and that she believes in herself to be of the more “normal” kind to make these relationships less suffocating for herself - is just furthering the message that as humans, the relationships we have with others are what write our story; even from a pure sociological perspective. And I think it’s beautiful that virtually Lana’s whole niche is writing about her relationships with others in regards to her self reflections. She truly is a prophet of our time and I’m grateful for her wisdom!

It arrived yesterday and I love it so much :flutter:

Didn't expect that I would love her poetry so much but I do. Yesterday I read the book and the audiobook of Violets was playing in the back:wub:

So thankful for this project even though I didn't care at first about it

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

12 hours ago, June Gloom said:

mine still hasn't even shipped i- rough trade get your sh!t together challenge

for those who have the book though, how are the non-audiobook poems?  i wonder if there are any that seemed like they were "snubbed" in favor of the ones that got audiobook versions

the only one that i feel is really strong and would've been a cool addition to audiobook is one called "thanks to the locals," but it's super personal and sad (in a somewhat diff way than the other audiobook poems, since it's about going to an aa meeting) so i could understand why it wasn't included

aOaIzH2.gif

i finally have violet in my hands and GOSH this book is even more beautiful in person. i haven’t read it all yet but just skimming through the pages, i already know i’m gonna adore and cherish it forever. :wub:

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose

I get that Interscope wants the audiobook to be profitable and therefore, won’t release Chemtrails too close to it... but are they doing for promo right now lol?!? Last week, okay, there was promo, but since Monday... not so much?!?

1 minute ago, lostindarkparadise said:

Violet sold 28,661 physical copies in its first week in the US 

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/nielsen/top100.html

that is huge for a poetry book tbh. small press poetry books are considered a huge hit when they sell 1,000 copies.

also go lana beating out stephanie meyer lol :ahh:

aOaIzH2.gif

does anyone feel almost weird reading some of lana’s poems? i’m reminiscing particularly on “thanks to the locals”. that was extremely dark. like to even know someone like lana has these thoughts. obviously, it’s very human and raw. but just reading it on paper, it feels almost intrusive. tho, i think it’s almost calming to know how human she is and how much i can relate to her. idk. just some thoughts post-read. 

55-DE2-A0-B-B97-D-4347-B872-77-FA28787-E

miss born to lose