Manueldelrey

Florence + The Machine fans react to Lana winning Best Alternative

goodio(: haha, you're so nice! i'm just like 'right, this person's a waste of skin, avoid them like the plague' - but it does take a lot for me to think that. btw, do you really live in mauritius? my dad's half mauritian(is that how you spell it? argh, i sound so ignorant!).

No, that's just a song by Charli that I really want to hear, and since it seemed like a convenient location, I decided I wanted to say I live there.

Bn2mO.png

Is he really? That's so cool! It was originally a French colony, right? So many interesting birds + other animals lived there that are now extinct, like the dodo bird & the Mauritian blue pigeon. So sad they're gone now.

:(

dodo.jpg

I like them both, but I think Lana deserves the award more. She's so underappreciated by the critics, but the more positive recognition she gets the more respect she'll have in the industry. This helps her longevity.

LanaLogo-e1328412462487.png

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

Yeah I'm not here for Florence at all. I've tried getting into her music but I just can't. So whatever. Lana deserved it. End of story, bye. Flo can have all the awards in the coming years when Lana isn't doing much music anymore.

I feel like this could've been written by a caricature.

Guys, this is MTV! Please don't even consider using the word "deserve."

Thanks everybody for your opinions, you are all right and i know i turned out as the bitchy one hahaha, it's just that makes me so mad that i can't hold my feelings, Lana has great songs, great lyrics and a great voice, if they don't appreciate it idk what's on their mind... A lot of people dislike Lana for being like so ''sad'' :quote: but that was exactly what got me into her because the lyrics fit me so well and i'm really proud of her for the great music that i have discovered and winning an EMA is not that much but it's still an award and it was voted for the public so that means people do like her.

I feel like this could've been written by a caricature.

Guys, this is MTV! Please don't even consider using the word "deserve."

What's wrong with using deserve? Lana is something new and fresh in music this year, and DESERVED to win Best Alternative. There, I said it again! And btw, did you use to like Lana and just stop? Or did you just join a forum dedicated to an artist you've always disliked?

H0bDaqU.gif

I'm a Lana fan and I have love for Florence. I'll drag every pop girl if needed so I get where the Machinists(??) are coming from to defend their favorite artist. I can't listen to Florence for any extended period of time, her voice wears me down especially when she starts belting with vibrato. It's too much for my poor soul.She comes alive on stage though and I appreciate that you can tell that she loves the music and I love how she moves on stage. Sweet Nothing is a great song to geek out too when you're dancing. Maybe her fans can vote better next year.

i3BGOioUhNsev.gif

giffix-1.gif

Aw, I love Florence so much. I think she has some really good companion songs to Lana, even--for a while there I had this playlist that alternated each song on Lungs and Born to Die (although perhaps Ceremonials would be better, but I prefer Lungs). So maybe her fans (ON TWITTER, no less) were immature, but dragging Florence for that reason isn't necessary. Her and Lana have a lot in common, musically. Lana's kind of the American answer to Flo--less sophisticated, more controversial. Anyone else see that?

I really have enough of Stan War meltdowns. Can't we just leave the meltdowns where they belong? Outside of this forum? I don't see why this forum should be spammed with the stupidity of others, leave alone anyone on here waisting energy on it.

Lana COMMERCIAL?

Let us not forget who is singing with Calvin Harris the master producer behind underground hits like Cheryl's Call My Name or Rihanna's alternative singles Where Have You Been & We Found Love

:love:

MTV is not about longevity, a lot of one hit wonders win MTV awards, i really wouldn't invest too much into it.

Lana winning best new act at this years British music awards was MUCH more respectful.

Good point.

To be honest I don't think twitter fans are generally representative of an entire fan base. I like to think of them as the vocal minority really, keyboard warriors who need to pick up some extra curricular activities. I'm willing to apply this to fans of The Biebs and Little Monsters as well. I know a ton of gaga fans in real life and none of them push her music or apparent values in your face. They're in it for the music and if you don't like her that's okay. The same should be said for Florence. People put too much weight on empty awards and get all worked up. I bet you anything a lot of them feel like dicks right now.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

And btw, did you use to like Lana and just stop? Or did you just join a forum dedicated to an artist you've always disliked?

What the freak?!?!? Now, I apparently don't like Lana? Why wasn't I aware of this? O _ O

What's wrong with using deserve?

MTV doesn't care about whom or what 'deserves' anything. It's in their very nature--look back at 20-odd years of their programming.

Her and Lana have a lot in common, musically. Lana's kind of the American answer to Flo--less sophisticated, more controversial. Anyone else see that?

I think so, except for their vast differences in aesthetic and lyrical matter. Florence is every bit (if not more) as elegant as Lana, and her songwriting, speaking overall, leaves Lana's with much to be desired.

I think so, except for their vast differences in aesthetic and lyrical matter. Florence is every bit (if not more) as elegant as Lana, and her songwriting, speaking overall, leaves Lana's with much to be desired.

Well jeez, obv they're different people and their "celebrity personas" are completely different, but they both tend towards huge productions in each individual song. Lyrics I'll give you because Florence's are pretty good, but I could argue against songwriting if you actually want to force me to defend Lana by pointing out Flo's flaws. I don't particularly want to do that, but: We both know Ceremonials was--at times, because like half of it was great--draggy, boring, and (I'll take one of your terms for Lana) "boxed-in" to her own aesthetic. Where Lungs was effortless, Ceremonials was too heavy-handed.

So maybe we can say for both that they had superior debut albums. See, not so different after all ;)

Well jeez, obv they're different people and their "celebrity personas" are completely different, but they both tend towards huge productions in each individual song. Lyrics I'll give you because Florence's are pretty good, but I could argue against songwriting if you actually want to force me to defend Lana by going against Flo (while I love both). We both know Ceremonials was--at times, because like half of it was great--draggy, boring, and (I'll take one of your terms for Lana) "boxed-in" to her own aesthetic. Where Lungs was effortless, Ceremonials was too heavy-handed.

So maybe we can say for both that they had superior debut albums. See, not so different after all ;)

Almost. Ceremonials might not be "Lungs II," but it's equally brilliant. But yes, another album of that would drive me ill...it's very rich. Listening to it on repeat doesn't work 1/3 as well as playing Lungs on repeat does. To me, though, both are 100% Florence and her sound. Can't wait for LP3, especially if it's anything like "Landscape" or "Remain Nameless." :flutter:

I really thought Ceremonials was 'too heavy-handed' at first, I've gotten so used to it I barely notice anymore. :3 Except for "Seven Devils..." I really just don't like that track. Oh, and the studio version of "Strangeness & Charm" is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E. :(

Her and Lana have a lot in common, musically. Lana's kind of the American answer to Flo--less sophisticated, more controversial. Anyone else see that?

I've always seen Florence as the high-brow response to Adele's common appeal. :eek: Just how Florence has been marketed. . more performance artsy and whatnot.

giffix-1.gif

No, that's just a song by Charli that I really want to hear, and since it seemed like a convenient location, I decided I wanted to say I live there.

Bn2mO.png

Is he really? That's so cool! It was originally a French colony, right? So many interesting birds + other animals lived there that are now extinct, like the dodo bird & the Mauritian blue pigeon. So sad they're gone now.

:(

dodo.jpg

ah right! yeah it was(: they have lots of rum there which automatically makes it a great place to go for obvious reasons ;) that's so weird...i was looking at extinct animals the other day! i got really sad because there's this beautiful russian tiger and there's only like 20 if them. i know, dodos are the coolest animals ever (apart from cats).

4r9w86.jpg