Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

10 minutes ago, RormanNockwell said:

:um:

It's already the 25th here and there's nothing, so unless it's midnight LA time or something ...

I can’t go through that and so it’s not real  :cryney::cryney::cryney:  Merry Christmas btw:D

Oh Covers album....im here for you. I'll be waiting by the Christmas fire, sipping wine to pass the time, when the clock strikes 12 and you are delivered to me-your cover adorned by a selfie and a cheap wreath Instagram filter.I have no business with Santa this year, just Saint Lana.. GURLLL......I love you, keep a promise :noparty:

1 hour ago, slang said:

Her having done some work is not *automatically* comforting (or else where is that EP she did with Princess Superstar?). But I do want her to be ambitious with this. Recently, Bob Dylan had 5 CDs worth of standards before (nonchalantly) winning the Nobel Prize for Literature for his own work (way back when). Lady Gaga (and K. D. Lang) have both done cover albums with Tony Bennett. Carly Simon, Linda Rondstadt, and Chaka Khan have had "classics" and/or standards cover albums. Probably a bunch I've left out. Not to put any pressure on her, but I really would like her to deliver something like Frank Sinatra did with Past, Present, Future (not exactly successful for him, but nominated for a helluva lot of grammys--and lol what it actually won for!):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilogy:_Past_Present_Future

Only she would substitute her unreleased-album selectees for the "Future", e.g. past, present, and songs from the rose garden (think Burnt Norton "lyrics").

I think all three of Dylan's 'standards' albums were brilliant. Linda Ronstadt's were with the Nelson Riddle orchestra (who had worked with Sinatra), and performed in their original classic mode, and were excellent. Carly Simon released four such albums with looser, more contemporary arrangements, with good, but spotty, results. Rickie Lee Jones did one too, which I personally didn't care for. 

Of course Rod Stewart also released several which, to me, were pure schlock, but very popular with the hoi polloi.  

It is true, as someone said here earlier, that artists usually release these albums when their popularity and commercial careers are waning. That's not where we perceive LDR right now, but 'Summertime' shows she can master 'American standards' with aplomb. If she chooses the right material, I think the album will be excellent.

I would be disappointed if she were to select tired, campy 'classics' like 'My Heart Belongs To Daddy.' She could probably do wonders with 'The Shadow of Your Smile,' 'So In Love,' 'Laura,' 'Skylark,' 'Ebb Tide' and even 'Love Is A Many Splendored Thing,' or, reaching back into the 19th century, 'Gentle Annie.' She could go out on a limb and do 'Love For Sale.' 

If she covers Patsy Cline, then I hope she avoids the overly-covered Cline classics like 'Walking After Midnight' and 'Crazy,' which can't, in my estimation, be bettered or fail to be compared with the originals. 

If she's going to do a song, or songs, from the mid-60s on, imagine her doing the Beach Boys' 'In My Room' or 'God Only Knows,' or Dylan's 'Lay Lady Lay'--the former would really suit her voice. 

The way this is never coming out yet at the same time I find myself yet again torturing myself with hope! 

Fuck it......LADIES OUR CHRISTMAS ALBUM IS RELEASING IN JUST MERE HOURS!!! :dance::hype:

2 hours ago, HighbytheSea said:

Oh Covers album....im here for you. I'll be waiting by the Christmas fire, sipping wine to pass the time, when the clock strikes 12 and you are delivered to me-your cover adorned by a selfie and a cheap wreath Instagram filter.I have no business with Santa this year, just Saint Lana.. GURLLL......I love you, keep a promise :noparty:

:bebe:merry christmas gurl :crying2:here's to holding on to hope until 12am.

It's possible that she will drop it without fanfare. She's mentioned doing that and I didn't expect any pre-release press or nonsense. Whether we're acting like Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football again remains to be seen. It's Christmas; I have a little faith it will be released, but have never counted on this, due to the past. 

9 minutes ago, Lentilus said:

:bebe:merry christmas gurl :crying2:here's to holding on to hope until 12am.

Nothing like holiday anxiety to share with my dear friends!!! Merry Christmas bb, and to you all!!!! Mere hours till bliss, or a serious Grinch fit. I cant wait to be hurt, this time with tinsel:ahh:

25 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

got my damn clown dress on toNIGHT ppl :hoe: 

:krylie:I'm not even drinking this Christmas! This is gonna be either so lit or so painful. 

29 minutes ago, past the bushes said:

When she performed "I'll Be Home for Christmas" she was singing about AS&C :oprah: it's coming y'all

I like this mentality! :smile4:

25 minutes ago, HighbytheSea said:

Nothing like holiday anxiety to share with my dear friends!!! Merry Christmas bb, and to you all!!!! Mere hours till bliss, or a serious Grinch fit. I cant wait to be hurt, this time with tinsel:ahh:

:smokes3:I'm ready to be slapped!