Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

27 minutes ago, heroinmelodies said:

omg I completely forgot about her performing Knocking on Heaven’s door in 2013/14 and since I remembered I NEED the full cover on the album! The live version is absolutely magical :defeated:

would die for this but (maybe mistakenly) am assuming from summertime and related posts that her interpretation of standards and classics might really just stick to 20s/30s/40s stuff...plus patsy cline? maybe it will end up being super eclectic stylistically which i'd love honestly

aOaIzH2.gif

I know there’s zero chance of this happening, but Lana would absolutely kill a cover of The Drugs Don’t Work. I could totally see it being the Goodbye Kiss of this era:eartha2:

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:14 PM, venicebitch said:

Do we really think it’s titled “American Standards & Classics” or is it just a placeholder for you fanmade covers 

If it is, while a little clunky, at least it tells her wide audience that they're not going to be getting a 'typical' LDR experience, but something else. When records and CDs predominated, the record companies could just slap a dayglo label over the plastic that says, "Lana Del Rey interpreting America's great historical catalog," and the actual album could therefore be called anything. I really don't mind if it is called AS&C. 

Is 'You'll Never Walk Alone' actually a track from it, or was that recorded for another project? Didn't I see something about that being recorded for a project in Great Britain? 

I'd love to see a fully-produced studio version of YNWA. It would seemingly fit right into AS&C. 

I'd also love to see covers of ''Round Midnight' and Cole Porter's 'So In Love.' 'The Green Leaves of Summer' would also be perfect for her--and another 'summer' song.  

And if she does well with this, as it seems she will on the basis of the wonderful 'Summertime,' this album could open an entirely new avenue for her and really broaden her audience. 

Another track I'd love to see on the album is the jazz standard 'Laura'. 

"Laura is the face in the misty light...
Footsteps that you hear down the hall
The laugh that floats on a summer night
That you can never quite recall.
And you see Laura on a train that is passing through
Those eyes how familiar they seem...
She gave your very first kiss to you
That was Laura but she's only a dream.

She gave your very first kiss to you
That was Laura...
But she's only a dream." 

26 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

If it is, while a little clunky, at least it tells her wide audience that they're not going to be getting a 'typical' LDR experience, but something else. When records and CDs predominated, the record companies could just slap a dayglo label over the plastic that says, "Lana Del Rey interpreting America's great historical catalog," and the actual album could therefore be called anything. I really don't mind if it is called AS&C. 

Is 'You'll Never Walk Alone' actually a track from it, or was that recorded for another project? Didn't I see something about that being recorded for a project in Great Britain? 

I'd love to see a fully-produced studio version of YNWA. It would seemingly fit right into AS&C. 

I'd also love to see covers of ''Round Midnight' and Cole Porter's 'So In Love.' 'The Green Leaves of Summer' would also be perfect for her--and another 'summer' song.  

you’ll never walk alone probably won’t be in it as it’s not an American song, also it’s for Liverpool FC in the U.K. nothing American about that 

10 minutes ago, CruelViolet said:

you’ll never walk alone probably won’t be in it as it’s not an American song, also it’s for Liverpool FC in the U.K. nothing American about that 

But YNWA is from the Broadway musical 'Carousel,' and is an American standard--everyone has covered it, from Mahalia Jackson and Elvis Presley to Doris Day. 

I really live for Minnie Riperton and feel like Lana's voice could really shine in the classic Lovin You:

But if she wanted to bring back the trio of black ladies from the Summertime cover she could really give us a yaas serve wig with Les Fleurs:

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif

3 minutes ago, Pin Up Galore said:

I really live for Minnie Riperton and feel like Lana's voice could really shine in the classic Lovin You:

But if she wanted to bring back the trio of black ladies from the Summertime cover she could really give us a yaas serve wig with Les Fleurs:

1) Omg wow. I never knew Minnie Riperton was black. It was truly a “The Voice” moment where I heard her voice first and saw the picture after and was stunned. Love it. 

2) This cover would save Christmas. 

3) Ben lovers unite :makeup:

39 minutes ago, Pin Up Galore said:

Both would be great, honestly, and I really want the backup singers again! It reminded me of Thunder and that's something good :makeup:

Also I want the album to drop at midnight, it would be the perfect Christmas gift :trisha:

Capture.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Greatest said:

I really hope she throws some contemporary stuff in there but I feel like that’s not going to happen. Summertime was good but I only listened to it once cause, like, we knew what it was gonna be before we even heard it 

When I think of “standards and classics” I automatically assume old-school, retro, vintage - basically the opposite of something modern or current. I’m curious in your mind what is contemporary? It’s an interesting thought!

39 minutes ago, conceptart47 said:

When I think of “standards and classics” I automatically assume old-school, retro, vintage - basically the opposite of something modern or current. I’m curious in your mind what is contemporary? It’s an interesting thought!

I think she has to strike a little bit more of a balance because at the end of the day, we do still want people to listen to this album more than once lol. 

she’s gotta throw the 30 and under crowd a couple bones with some songs we would know to keep it fun and actually generate interest. 

I mean I’ll listen to her sing anything obviously, but if she’s gonna do a cover album I’d at least like to know some of the songs lol. Let’s have her sing criminal by Fiona Apple, something by The Weeknd, something by Amy, etc. they’re not radio pop songs but they’re songs people have heard. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

1 minute ago, ShadesOfFool said:

I think she has to strike a little bit more of a balance because at the end of the day, we do still want people to listen to this album more than once lol. 

she’s gotta throw the 30 and under crowd a couple bones with some songs we would know to keep it fun and actually generate interest. 

I mean I’ll listen to her sing anything obviously, but if she’s gonna do a cover album I’d at least like to know some of the songs lol. Let’s have her sing criminal by Fiona Apple, something by The Weeknd, something by Amy, etc. they’re not radio pop songs but they’re songs people have heard. 

I think that’s a very wack idea

Just now, ShadesOfFool said:

imagine lana covering After hours

The Best Oprah Winfrey GIFs of All Time - E! Online

2 minutes ago, CruelViolet said:

I think that’s a very wack idea

What else is in that bag, fat girrrl?

Just now, Lustformoney said:

imagine lana covering After hours

The Best Oprah Winfrey GIFs of All Time - E! Online

The streets need her to sing Escape from LA!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=9308137

let's be real, all you bitches wanna look like me

i think if lana is gonna throw in some more current covers then the name couldn’t be “american standards and classics” and obviously it’s a placeholder but.... will she? i don’t see a patsy cline song next to a weeknd song. i can however see an amy cover since amy’s sound was so jazzy

it’s hard to tell but since lana is so inspired by these older generation artists I think it’s fair to assume most covers will be from songs majority of us won’t recognize and i have no problem that