Elle

"American Standards & Classics" Cover Album - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

On 11/24/2020 at 7:28 PM, Pico Boulevard said:

This might be totally random and I don't think it's an american standard  but I can imagine Lana covering this song

She can totally do this and we need a more rockish Lana back 

Actually Rick co-wrote this song

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

6 hours ago, HyperVelvet said:

I hope she covers some Beach Boys :flutter:

‘In My Room’ would be fantastic. 

Another over-performed standard I hope she doesn’t do: ‘My Heart Belongs To Daddy,' which began its life as camp and has been nothing but camp since. I presume it could be performed in a manner that is heartfelt and 'genuine,' but I don't know of any singer who has sung it that way. And the melody is rather tiresome. 

I think I posted this idea before. I'd love "Silent Night" with a video. Christmas eve and Lana sings to a bunch of muppets sleeping around a Christmas tree. Instant classic! ?

5 hours ago, Vertimus said:

‘In My Room’ would be fantastic. 

Another over-performed standard I hope she doesn’t do: ‘My Heart Belongs To Daddy,' which began its life as camp and has been nothing but camp since. I presume it could be performed in a manner that is heartfelt and 'genuine,' but I don't know of any singer who has sung it that way. And the melody is rather tiresome. 

it's supposed to be sung in a way that isn't heartfelt and genuine. the premise of the song is a woman who only loves her daddy cause A. she fucks him good or B. he spoils her.

"my heart belongs to daddy because he treats it so well." some could say it is her pussy idkkkkk just what I've heard

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

19 hours ago, daisy fresh witch said:

it's supposed to be sung in a way that isn't heartfelt and genuine. the premise of the song is a woman who only loves her daddy cause A. she fucks him good or B. he spoils her.

"my heart belongs to daddy because he treats it so well." some could say it is her pussy idkkkkk just what I've heard

I understand all of that. That's why I said it was a camp classic from the get-go. It thinks it's coy and cute, but it's too overt and tongue-in-cheek for my taste. I think personally, as a song, it's obvious and stupid, I don't like the melody, and so don't care for any version. So I would hate to see Lana descend to that. 

However, I do think it could be covered in a sincere manner if that was the way the artist wants to approach it. Most standards can be sung be interpreted in a wide variety of ways, like 'My Funny Valentine,' which can be sung as a 50s cocktail ditty, or in a somber, serious manner, as Nico approached it in the 60s when she was singing live at the Dom, or again when she recorded it on 'Camera Obscura' in the early 80s. 

The original 'California Dreaming,' like 'Season of the Witch,' is such a perfect rock classic, or a product, at least, the the classic rock era, that I'm not convinced LDR could pull it off. I don't think she really pulled of 'Season of the Witch'; her version was just a dry run-through. It would be like trying to cover 'Hotel California' or 'Stairway to Heaven.'

No matter how good an interpretation, it's going to pale beside the original, unless the interpretation and arrangement are wildly different from the original, the way Tori Amos radically deconstructed songs she covered, from 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' to Steely Dan's 'Do It Again' and the Velvet Underground's 'New Age.'  

I find LDR's covers only good about 40% of the time, though 'Summertime' has given me new hope. On this record, I hope she sticks to material pre-1960, or post-1960s songs that were still somewhat in the pre-1960s style (that is, non-rock, non-folk), like the beautiful 'The Shadow of Your Smile,' which I would love to see her cover. 

10 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

The original 'California Dreaming,' like 'Season of the Witch,' is such a perfect rock classic, or a product, at least, the the classic rock era, that I'm not convinced LDR could pull it off. I don't think she really pulled of 'Season of the Witch'; her version was just a dry run-through. It would be like trying to cover 'Hotel California' or 'Stairway to Heaven.'

No matter how good an interpretation, it's going to pale beside the original, unless the interpretation and arrangement are wildly different from the original, the way Tori Amos radically deconstructed songs she covered, from 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' to Steely Dan's 'Do It Again' and the Velvet Underground's 'New Age.'  

I find LDR's covers only good about 40% of the time, though 'Summertime' has given me new hope. On this record, I hope she sticks to material pre-1960, or post-1960s songs that were still somewhat in the pre-1960s style (that is, non-rock, non-folk), like the beautiful 'The Shadow of Your Smile,' which I would love to see her cover. 

Season of the witch sounded like that cause of Jack Antonoff . 

Other covers like 

The good life 

The other woman

Dont let me be misunderstood

Hearshaped box

Knocking on heavens door

They all sound really dope .

3 minutes ago, NoSalvation77 said:

Season of the witch sounded like that cause of Jack Antonoff . 

Other covers like 

The good life 

The other woman

Dont let me be misunderstood

Hearshaped box

Knocking on heavens door

They all sound really dope .

I like some of those, but for me, 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' is the low point in LDR's career. 

9 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I like some of those, but for me, 'Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' is the low point in LDR's career. 

'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' was an alright cover, it was a bit spooky, but overall it was just fine. Though not her best closing track. I wouldn't call it a "low point" per se, not when songs like 'In My Feelings', 'Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind' or 'How to disappear' exist; which are arguably some of her worst songs lyrically, as well as her least interesting production efforts.

29 minutes ago, MAX DEL REY said:

'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' was an alright cover, it was a bit spooky, but overall it was just fine. Though not her best closing track. I wouldn't call it a "low point" per se, not when songs like 'In My Feelings', 'Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind' or 'How to disappear' exist; which are arguably some of her worst songs lyrically, as well as her least interesting production efforts.

I like 'In My Feelings' very much, but don't care at all for the other two. 

I’d actually be down to hear another Donovan cover from Lana. Something like Wear Your Love Like Heaven or Sleep or something idk. I mean, not necessarily “American” classics, but still...

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

next summer when Lana delays COCC again so she releases a rock standards and classics album produced by Dan and we finally hear her Cactus collab with the Foo Fighters PBDnlJc.gif

tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo4_250.gif   tumblr_otaqmarVHa1u9dqtjo3_400.gif  tumblr_mlk5fk2dDZ1s6jvbvo7_250.gif